Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #15

My issue with newmar is their new order allocation killed prices and they act like their [Moderator Edit] doesn’t stink. They still make a good product and many of the issues can be attributed to parts from sub manufacturers. Tiffin is probably in line or 2nd in quality to newmar and they have problems too but they seem to be more receptive to customers than newmar is.
Ebwhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 06:52 AM   #16

Newmar has an order allocation due to the fact they cannot produce enough units to keep up with demand.
Every Newmar unit is pre-sold either to a dealer or customer before it starts on the production line.
Without an order allocation process, mega dealers would buy up all the orders and then you would have a serious pricing issue. Like any product, price is based on supply and demand.
Unsure which Newmar you own, but personally I have never dealt with a greater, more caring group of employees!
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Unsure which Newmar you own, but personally I have never dealt with a greater, more caring group of employees!
You were asking this question of Ebwhite above..... from another post he stated that he just ordered a 2022 f53 Tiffin. He also said he spoke to 20+ Newmar dealers when looking.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #18

I’ve not had any issues with Newmar service. Unfortunately I’ve had to deal with Newmar service more than I care to. Now, I understand that the BSS is the entry level line and I should not expect the same level of materials as a King Air. But I do expect, since they are made on the same build line, to receive a similar level of attention to build quality. After 5 years of ownership I have to say the Ford chassis is the better part of the unit. Based on the competition at the time of purchase I’d still buy the Newmar. But the QC is not top notch and their documentation (manuals) are worse.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
All this is premised upon an unproven fact, that Winnebago has a lousy reputation for quality. From everything I have read this is not true. I know Winnebago owners who swear by them. As a matter of fact, compared to Thor, Rev, and Forest River, Winnebago is a rock star. They're also known for top notch customer service. The high end RV market is something they have tried and failed at so I doubt they will mess with success.
I agree. I've owned two of the Journey DP models. One was purchased new, the other used. Both were very good units without issues. I really can't speak too much to their customer service because I never had to use it! I've done their factory tour twice and the workers seem to be diligent (just as I witnessed during the Newmar tour...but you can't be there for every unit to see what happens).
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:00 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had our new Ventana for 6 months currently back to Atlanta NIRV for warranty work. Nothing major in either trip just little things that I would expect to go bump in the night. The only issue we have is it takes months to get in for an appointment. This IMO is all about so many people now using and buying coaches and the shortages caused by COVID (people parts). Here in Georgia they have stopped taking the federal assistance for unemployment so maybe some people will have to go back to work!
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #21

Newmar has been having problems before Winnebago got it
Windows falling out, overweight chassis right front chassis of the Dutch star, interior furniture falling apart, etc.

Winnebago has its share too.
I’ll take my punch list on my Horizon over any punch list.
All small stuff.

So does Newell and Marathon.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:26 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree. The chassis (Ford, Freightliner or whoever) is the best part of our RV experience. I've got both currently.
But they are built on a assembly line with Quality Is Job One. With more skilled labor.
But nearly every RV from the frame up is not a true assembly process. QC is not monitored enough. Nor are the workers as experienced or motivated. Go visit a RV manufacturer. Look behind the hype. I saw no QC.
I've had way too many issues with house portion and so far none with the wheels and stuff driving them.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry, never owned a Winnebago. I’ve worked on some when I was younger. Considered buying a new Tour a few years ago. I consider them an average quality unit.

My 21 DutchStar has had few large problems. Mostly small stuff easily fixed. I consider it an above average RV.

What Newmar can gain from Winnebago is their large supply chain capabilities. I know every part on a Winnebago is labeled and can be ordered. They have excellent logistics. I’m not saying Newmar is deficient in this area but Winnebago does this well.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Windows falling out, overweight chassis right front chassis of the Dutch star, interior furniture falling apart, etc.

Agree
Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Those aren't Newmar problems.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Those aren't Newmar problems.
If your saying because they didn't make the product that is having the issue I could a agree if they stop using the product but that doesn't seem what is happening across the the whole industry not just Newmar. Seems like the industry is willing to deal with Warranty claims instead of dealing with the supplier quality.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dval View Post
If your saying because they didn't make the product that is having the issue I could a agree if they stop using the product but that doesn't seem what is happening across the the whole industry not just Newmar. Seems like the industry is willing to deal with Warranty claims instead of dealing with the supplier quality.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly! And guess who pays for all those warranty claims....the consumer since it's in the price we all pay. Real quality and service drive total cost down, it doesn't transfer it.

As the end manufacturer they are, in my opinion, responsible for supplier selection, supplier management, and quality control of what goes out the door. I know that in the RV industry the manufacturers don't seem to think they own those issues and because they are all pretty much the same on that issue, they get away with it.

Like I've said before...what if you had a seriously overweight axle issue with a car or pickup? What if the car windows fell out? What if you had to go retighten the bolts holding the transmission to the motor several times a year (similar to slide motor bolts)..what if the seats fell apart, what if..... How many cars would that manufacturer sell?
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Well all I can say is that I'm totally happy with my old Adventurer (2000) Winnebago!. I am the 2nd owner with no experience with anything newer. So of course I'm no authority, but believe back then they were miles ahead of the rest.
I wouldn't hesitate buying a new Winne (gas rig) except I don't like the new rigs at all! Lousy floor & cabinet colors etc! Im old school I prefer vinyl floors, red mahogany or oak cabinets instead of black colors!

Tags
newmar, winnebago