Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #57

2020 Newmarket Bay Star 3626. Definitely Winny Cheap accessories are being installed in Newmars. My shower is so cheap I think ill call thru the floor. Cheap furniture, carpet, wall paper etc. Very sorry I paid more for a Newmar
Mr Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
Does anyone think that we are beginning to see Winnebago’s lousy reputation creeping into the Newmar lineup? Seems to me that we are seeing more and more quality control issues with new product coming off Newmar’s assembly line. We are considering ordering a new unit but I am having a lot of reservations based on what I have been reading lately.

Your thoughts?
Winnebago doesn't have a bad reputation and never had. They build a fine coach plus a lot of their rvs have items that are made there . I would suggest that you go to Forest City and take the tour.
Newmar is still made in its factory and is not made by Winnebago.
I suggest you check things out before you post something. I am on my fourth Winnebago and have no problems other than problems with Lippert and Winnebago corrected it.
I tell you what go buy a Thor product. Both Winnebago and Newmar are fine coaches. You should put wheels on your house and drive it down the road
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #59

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I take offense to that comment I’ have a Winnebago that I’ve had for 35 years have traveled all over the United States with no problems I bought a DP Three years ago still have the 86 my kids now use the 86.a lot of times the oldies are still the Goodies.
Lockman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #60

I've owned a Winnebago (Itasca) Suncruiser 35U gasser for 15 years and have absolutely loved it. Quality has not been an issue. Most of the issues with it have been related to peripherals (HWH, etc.) Just sayin'.

I think quality has more recently suffered across the board as manufacturers have tried to keep costs down in challenging markets -- mine was built before all of that.
Mainer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #61

Since when did Winnebago have lousy reputation? They've had fine RVing products for decades, seriously. For the volume they do, their rigs perform well. Their Grand Tours and Horizons are super cool products I wish they would build them again. Newmar has been the same, quality-wise I drive 2 London Aires, King Air, Essex and a New Aire and they are all great. I just had a brand new Allegro Bus 45 out and its far superior than previous Tiffins, I think they do a great job. I think Newmar, Tiffin, American and Entegra are all pretty much on par with each other its just a matter of colors and styling and what you think is a good deal for what you want. There is never a bad time to buy and RV, just pull the trigger, get the kinks worked out and drive on into the sunset with a sense of humor and a good tool box!
MyRVButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #62

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we ordered/purchased our 2019 Canyon Star, we had already been in a multitude of Newmar coaches. We toured plenty of other CS and BS units making our decision. We noted the differences between the lines in terms of materials and components. Our purchase was an informed decision. Some things, like the shower controls/ step covers/ and some of the trim was limited by the choice we made and we accepted it.

The sale took place late in 2020, I don't believe any 2020 rig had any equipment changed due to the sale. The supply chains are way to rigid for that. You could look at a 2019, or 2018 and see the same equipment provided.

I don't defend their component choices, but I am sure Winne had nothing to do with them.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:28 AM   #63

We and 461 others are at the Newmar Kountryklub International Rally as I'm reading this. Several execs spoke yesterday at the annual meeting and addressed the Winnebago connection. Newmar continues to operate as a separate company. They will use proven methods from Winnebago to improve efficiency, but are committed to maintaining quality. There was a large stack of windows for replacement near their parts trailer. Yes there is a problem with fogging, but its not a Newmar window. It's a manufacturer problem and any rv with that window will have a problem.
king3859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Taxpayer View Post
2020 Newmarket Bay Star 3626. Definitely Winny Cheap accessories are being installed in Newmars. My shower is so cheap I think ill call thru the floor. Cheap furniture, carpet, wall paper etc. Very sorry I paid more for a Newmar
The Bay Star is the bottom of the line in Newmar. Even in the 2010 that I bought new back in 2009 the components were not the same as in the higher line coaches they build. In mine, furniture was a disappointment for sure. Flexsteel, the manufacturer, told me Newmar spec'd the materials. The low-poundage foam was a problem (collapsing), and that foam is what Newmar spec'd. The seams coming apart was a Flexsteel issue. The good news was Flexsteel fixed it all for me installing a high-quality foam and re-covering and charged me nothing.

The shower floor in ours also had a LOT of flex in it.

Net is...The Bay Star is a low-end coach and has been since WAY before Winnebago acquired Newmar. I doubt Winnie is the cause of any low-end products being used in today's Bay Star coaches.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #65

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile, changing badges during the night at rallies. Where do folks come up with this stuff? LOL
Old 07-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
I second this. As my 2018 King Aire has had many many issues so think the problems started before Winnebago got involved.
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #67

Some People missed the Subject of this thread! SINCE Winny took over Newmar are there cost cutting from Winny. So if you have an older coach this does not apply to you.
Passed on New Gas Winny due to poor craftsmanship. Bought my Newmar Baystar 2020 based on their heavy build coach walls and roofs. But trust me in 7 months I can prove Winny has put cheaper components in to the Newmar Baystars. My Fabrics, sinks, toilets and shower are horribly cheap. The wall paper and carpet dont hold up well. Multiple repairs on AC, Windows, Refer, Awnings not to mention my shower is not level and so thin it buckles under my wifes 126' weight.
Mr Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
I am new to RVing and to the Newmar brand. We purchased our first Newmar only 18 months ago. So I do not have any historical knowledge here but I am a bit confused on the context.

I see the Winnebago/Newmar acquisition announcement mid to late September 2019. That would be about the time that 2020 models are being delivered. So the 2020 Baystar was built solely by Newmar without any Winnebago influence. Do I have that right?

I think the only people that can give a definitive, albeit subjective, answer to the question would be someone that owns an older (2015ish) Newmar and upgrading to a 2022.

On a different note there is always a marketing danger if/when a company over-extends a product line or brand. Producing a sub $200k gas model up to a premium $1.4M diesel might be too much of a stretch.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #69

Newmar & Tiffin Quality Going Forward

I think RV public is a little confused about the Newmar/Winnebago purchase, just like they are confused about Tiffin/THOR. Firstly, Newmar had been looking for a buyer for a while, just like Tiffin...Newell is probably next. Its just normal succession, after Bob T and Matt M retire, theres nobody really at the helm of each firm to hand over and keep in the family. So, you sell it, but with a MAJOR caveat, you HAVE to continue to operate for a contracted period of time, thats a share holder requirement in any industry (usually). Shareholders at Winnebago & THOR were in strong cash positions, so they went shopping and want their investments protected, so that means keeping Matt M and Bob T in place without ANY changes for now. Thats just solid business practice (and a SEC law I think).

Second, THOR, Ind and Winnebago, Ind are both holding firms, not operations companies (all they do is carry paper) and these are the firms that bought Tiffin & Newmar. Winnebago RV didn't buy Newmar, THOR Motor Coach didn't buy Tiffin. Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago are all their own companies, each has its own piggy bank(called a subsidiary) that is watched by the parent holding company who is funded by common stock. THOR Holdings isn't in the business of making Tiffins, and Winnebago Holdings isn't in the business of making Newmars, they are investors looking at capital return in the RV manufacturing sector. How much they spend, vs. what they make.

Lastly, fans of each product should not see much change, Newmar and Tiffin will continue to operate hands-off and do what they've always done for now. THORs brands are all very different. Winnebagos portfolio is vastly varied, I mean building a ChrisCraft is not building a Travato vs. a King Aire. Theres no "amortization" across any of these products, nothing can be "shared". Big BIG companies like Ford, GM they "share" products across multiple lines, its a well used accounting method called manufacturing amortization (Monaco used to do it, REV Group still does). Tiffins Powerglide is another example of this accounting method. Tiffins implementation of sharing powertrain platform across multiple RV models allows them to offer many cool and highly desired features on different models that make them very competitive at an extremely attractive price point. Monaco Roadmaster Platform was a brilliant industry changing method created by Monaco Coach Corp. Tiffins & Newmars are both at amazing price points for what you get, any change to that "formula" and sales will suffer and buyers will look elsewhere and dealers won't be happy.

Share holders want a good thing to continue. Many more Americans are flocking to RVs to travel now, which is what the industry had hoped for coming out of the baby boomer generation. Sales are way up which is good to keep the industry thriving. Shareholder confidence is strong, so they won't change a lot at Tiffin or Newmar. Unless they want to pull a J-Howard and install Verandas on Dutch Stars and Allegro Bus! Worst feature ever!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
Does anyone think that we are beginning to see Winnebago’s lousy reputation creeping into the Newmar lineup? Seems to me that we are seeing more and more quality control issues with new product coming off Newmar’s assembly line. We are considering ordering a new unit but I am having a lot of reservations based on what I have been reading lately.

Your thoughts?
I was unaware of Winnebago's "lousy reputation," until now. Can you enlighten me?

Thank you.
jwinks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, winnebago