Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Influence on Newmar

Does anyone think that we are beginning to see Winnebago’s lousy reputation creeping into the Newmar lineup? Seems to me that we are seeing more and more quality control issues with new product coming off Newmar’s assembly line. We are considering ordering a new unit but I am having a lot of reservations based on what I have been reading lately.

Your thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read almost every thread on the Newmar forum. I haven't read anything specific that indicates there is an issue. Most of the problems deal with Covid shortages and people not going back to work because they make more money sitting at home.

Even if there are issues you can identify, what brand would you buy instead? I still think Newmar makes a great coach, but their prices over the past three years are climbing three times higher, per year, than cost of living or general material increases.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Influence on Newmar

I agree with Don. I believe COVID, or more specifically, public policies enacted in reaction to COVID, have had a much greater impact on production and quality…so far.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #4

I've only had 1 Newmar, a 2019 that I bought in August of 2018. I have detected no changes since Winnebago got involved. As to quality issues, I frequent several RV forums and haven't detected any noticeable increase in quality issues. Can you give any examples?

And don't forget that most forums central function is to discuss issues and solutions to problems. The fact that unit deliveries and RV populations are currently at an all time high and with so many brand new owners jumping into complex motorhomes as a first time RV owner would likely lead to increased discussions too.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

I don't think Winnebago had any involvement with the sloppy production of our Bay Star its all on Newmar.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
Does anyone think that we are beginning to see Winnebago’s lousy reputation creeping into the Newmar lineup? Seems to me that we are seeing more and more quality control issues with new product coming off Newmar’s assembly line. We are considering ordering a new unit but I am having a lot of reservations based on what I have been reading lately.

Your thoughts?
You have experience in a Newmar - order the new with Factory Pickup and make sure the coach is the way it's supposed to be before you drive off.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There isn't a manufacture out there that isn't impacted. Every brand has the same complaints. Partial builds, long lot storage, rushed completions, and component manufacture sending substandard product.

We complain when our coaches are delayed, then we moan when we have greater than normal defect rates, and we eviscerate the dealers who can't get parts either.

Crazy times, and I don't see improvement coming for a good while.

Blame whoever you want, we are all complicit.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #8

No! I have a 2019 London Aire and the quality issues and lack of response started long before Winnebago bought them.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #9

I always find it humorous when people come on a product forum, see that 1 in 500 have a complaint and brand the product as full of issues.
I had a 19 and now a 21. I am happy. It is inherent that issues will arise. I deal with them as they will come up.
I had an issue with my washer the other day, does that mean Newmar sucks? No. I read the book, did the reset and now all is fine.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #10

We spent 6 weeks at a Freightliner Service Center which is also a Newmar dealer. I didn’t keep track but we had several neighbors who bought new Newmar’s. I won’t say we heard lots of problems with any single coach. One had only hot water from all faucets. One had fluid in one rear rim. Don’t recall some of the others. IMO like stated not really any worse then other manufacturers. This dealer took care of them quickly IMO.
We considered trading in 5 month Discovery on one but even though not a Newmar ( like hung wall) we decided it was not worth the loss of money.
Good luck. I’d suggest either a good dealer (I made a funny) or pickup at factory as suggested.
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We picked up our 2020 Kountry Star almost 18 months ago. We have had it in four times for warranty items - all small stuff - nothing that ever stopped us from taking a trip (tank level sensors, wind sensors, bad BIM, wall paper wrinkles, hydraulic leak in the leveling power pack, front shade/visor operation, Dash AC not cold after 2 hours of use...). I was not thrilled with multiple trips to the dealer but accepted it as part of the industry. We see the same problems with multi million dollar yachts.

With all the kinks ironed out we really like the Newmar. Drive/ride, layout, cabinets and fixtures.....

We are ordering (hopefully today) a 2022 Dutch Star so my past experience did not push us to another brand. I will post in 6 months if there is a noticeable change.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
All this is premised upon an unproven fact, that Winnebago has a lousy reputation for quality. From everything I have read this is not true. I know Winnebago owners who swear by them. As a matter of fact, compared to Thor, Rev, and Forest River, Winnebago is a rock star. They're also known for top notch customer service. The high end RV market is something they have tried and failed at so I doubt they will mess with success.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #13

It will be interesting when they update the looks(front and rear caps)if they will use the same design on similar models. Like some other manufacturers do.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post

Your thoughts?
I had so much trouble with the Tiffin I had before I bought this Bay Star that the few problems (there have not been many at all) I’ve had with the Newmar seem small! I’ve owned Winnebagos, Class A diesels and Class B/C. Some issues but not all that bad. The worst WBO I had was when I bought their top-of-the-line (at the time) diesel. It was pretty clear they did not know how to compete in that space.
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, winnebago