Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Winshield replacement locations.

Looking for preliminary location options to get our original drivers side windshield replaced. We are in Nashville a few more days and heading towards Petoskey, MI with no schedule. Hill country and south Texas has not been good to us this and last winter.

Our spider crack has developed into a 1 foot crack heading from the lower corner towards the center of the windshield. We have other pit holes and 1/2 chips on the same window so it's time for a replacement and to determine location options for the way home. This has been a slow 9 month crack migration so we are not in a pickle just need to schedule it for the near future. I know we will need to allow time for the "adhesive" to cure.

We have not contacted Newmar or our insurance co. yet as we always start here. I am not interested in the drill and glue fix because they can sometimes cause the crack to simply go much further due to the suction distortion in the repair process. Our insurance may dictate but want to go in with knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any experience from others for reputable repair location options. Our preference would be in Michigan to be closer to home in the event of a "re do" or "leak".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Qwert,
Look in Duncan Glass in Elkhart, Ind. They did our 2005 single piece windshield and I am very pleased.Call in advance and they will let you hook up at their facility.

Duncan Glass Systems
21391 Old Hiway U.S 33
Elkhart, In
1-800-551-9149 Fax. 888-294-2940
duncanglasssyst.com

lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
X2 on Duncan Systems. If you cannot go to their facility, they will contract it to one that is near you.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

For what it's worth, I am in AZ and just had my drivers side windshield replaced on my '05 Mt. Aire.
I called Duncan for info and they quoted me a price of $825 for the windshield, $125 shipping and $80 for a wooden shipping crate. It had to be sent to a commercial establishment as well. I checked with a local mobile RV service I have use and they referred me to a local glass dealer they had personally used. I got a quote over the phone and an appointment two days hence. $625 installed. It looks good, but I haven't traveled over the road with it yet, however they guarantee their work for the life of the window.

We'll see how that works, but for $400 it's worth a chance.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Looking for preliminary location options to get our original drivers side windshield replaced.
We have not contacted Newmar or our insurance co. yet as we always start here.
Thanks in advance for any experience from others for reputable repair location options. Our preference would be in Michigan to be closer to home in the event of a "re do" or "leak".
Qwert66
I've had my passenger side windshield replaced twice, (once in WI and once in LA).
Both times one phone call to my insurance company was all it took...(they arranged for a local glass company to get the glass and install it at my RV site).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cat, replace, replacement