Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

Winter and Batteries?

We finally got BABS tucked into her winter digs here at home and she's plugged into regular house current with a 15amp adapter. This is the first time, we've had her plugged in to 15 amp. We've had her plugged into 30 amp by going from the 50 amp cord to a 50 to 30 amp pigtail into a 30 amp cord to the 15 amp adapter & into the a regular house outlet. Now the 30 amp cord is out & we're going from the 50 amp to pigtail to 15 amp adapter.

We were told when we were at Newmar that leaving her plugged in with the Battery Disconnect switch set to disconnect would still allow the coach batteries to remain charged. Even with the batteries disconnected, I hear what I guess is the inverter humming along. I don't know if it's because of being in the garage or if it's just louder than it normally is.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the sound of the inverter while plugged into different amps?

If the coach is plugged in, is there an advantage to having the disconnect switch on?

Does it matter if the batteries are disconnected if we're plugged in?

Is it good practice to leave the coach plugged in all winter or would it be better to use a trickle charger or plug in & unplug for a day every week (like we could remember!)? We'll do good to remember to exercise the gen & Oasis.

The batteries were new in July & we want to keep both the batteries and the inverter happy!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know what kind of inverter (or converter, or charger) that your Newmar has, but most will hum louder when under load. My charger "hums" louder when doing a bulk charge of the batteries, for example. Not a problem -- it's just doing what it is supposed to.

I would leave the MH plugged in all winter; 15amp is not going to be a problem.

A Newmar owner is going to need to comment on how the Disconnect Switch works in your particular unit.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The batteries are fine all winter left dormant. I snowbird out and check fluid and charge boat batteries and motorcycle battery and vehicle I leave behind just before we leave. In spring they all crank right up.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My coach is always plugged in during winter months outside in weather with the BDS on, I do not believe the batteries will be charged by your BIRD System if not left on.
Looking at this image may not make a difference:

I would take a voltage reading at your batteries to see if there is a difference of battery readings at coach & house with BDS ON OR OFF.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We finally got BABS tucked into her winter digs here at home and she's plugged into regular house current with a 15amp adapter. This is the first time, we've had her plugged in to 15 amp. We've had her plugged into 30 amp by going from the 50 amp cord to a 50 to 30 amp pigtail into a 30 amp cord to the 15 amp adapter & into the a regular house outlet. Now the 30 amp cord is out & we're going from the 50 amp to pigtail to 15 amp adapter.

We were told when we were at Newmar that leaving her plugged in with the Battery Disconnect switch set to disconnect would still allow the coach batteries to remain charged. Even with the batteries disconnected, I hear what I guess is the inverter humming along. I don't know if it's because of being in the garage or if it's just louder than it normally is.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the sound of the inverter while plugged into different amps?

If the coach is plugged in, is there an advantage to having the disconnect switch on?

Does it matter if the batteries are disconnected if we're plugged in?

Is it good practice to leave the coach plugged in all winter or would it be better to use a trickle charger or plug in & unplug for a day every week (like we could remember!)? We'll do good to remember to exercise the gen & Oasis.

The batteries were new in July & we want to keep both the batteries and the inverter happy!
I know this won't really help you but this is only one reason why I always use AGM batteries and spec'd them out as a custom order on our 2015 Ventana 4037.

They have an extremely low self-discharge. I leave them disconnected and no power to the coach all winter. In the spring when I turn them back on, they are at EXACTLY the same charge level I left them at. They could stay a couple of years disconnected like that.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi KarenS144,
For me, I'd leave the coach connected to shore power all winter, the battery disconnect switches in the run/on position, the inverter/charger in the on position and the coach use/store switch is in the use position. If you have a water heater (the old style with a tank) consider turning it off at the coach breaker box. Make sure the engine block heater is off.

The most difficult thing an electric appliance does is turn on. The 15 AMP circuit should be fine if only the battery charger/inverter is left on. Except when traveling, my coach is always connected to shore power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

Looks like plugged in with the battery disconnect off which keeps the bats on wins.

No hot water tank thank goodness! I'll turn the rest of the appliance breakers off (fridge already is). I'll have to look for the use/store switch. Is that a setting on the inverter?

We always left our gasser plugged in but we didn't have an inverter to worry about.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi KarenS144,
I'm surprised with the battery disconnect in the off position the batteries will charge. Guess Newmar changed how they wire the coach. Keep an eye on the chassis battery. We don't want to forget to keep it charged. The store/use switch is sometimes called the "salesman switch". It should be in a control panel near the front entry door. When placed in store mode all power to the coach is turned off. There are a few exceptions, which I do not remember. Basically is it suppose to cut the drain on the batteries to small parasite items.

FYI, my wife's name is Karen. If we ever meet, it should be easy to remember each other's names.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi KarenS144,
FYI, my wife's name is Karen. If we ever meet, it should be easy to remember each other's names.
I hope we meet up somewhere! It'd be fun to meet another Gary & Karen.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suggestion.. Get out your trusty Digital Multi-meter and connect it (set to volts) to the battery,,, You should see 13 volt PLUS.

Now, go to your car which has been sitting for at least an hour and do the same thing,, You should see 12.6

If this is the case NEWMAR gave you good info.

(The second test, on the car, was to check the meter)

Readings should be about one volt higher on the Motor home batteries if they are in float mode.

NOTE: Measure you chassis battery too,,, that one may need a Battery Teneder or Battey minder if your house batteries are disconnected, Or you can connect them and see what happens.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would check your batteries for charging voltage using a volt meter with the BDS on or off to make sure they are always being charged either way as Gary said we both leave ours on when plugged in.
Just to make sure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, winter