Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Winter finally made it

It finally came last night got up this am to 17 degrees. My cheap heat addon has been doing just fine still nice and toasty in the motorhome. BUT the basement did not fair well. Just got back from work and found ice under the motorhome. My RVF-10 water filter blew the bottom out and the lines are all frozen. Water tank is empty and the pump has been running for who knows how long. Just ordered a new filter from Walmart. I hope this is all that went wrong. Won't know now till it gets alittle warmer. Finally learning more about this full-timing and the hazards involved. Thank goodness I have access to water and power still. Next will to put a trouble light down there to keep this from happening again. Lesson learned. Until now the blower fan has been keeping things from freezing it just could not handle 17 degrees.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and sorry to hear about your trouble, were you just using a space heater or running the furnace? If your furnace was running it should of kept the basemant warm? Seems like we never quit learing with the rv lifestyle do we and sometimes it is the hard way......
When it is really cold in the spring and fall I run a small cube heater in the basement, it keeps everything warm even the floors and thats nice.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, yes I thought it should have not frozen also. I have not check if the fan is still working it is just too cold to look. I will be putting a heater or light in the compartment soon. The coach is at 57 degrees thermometer is set to 60 degrees so I know the furnace is working. Oh well you are right about learning.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the same coach and have been in Nappanee 18 temperatures for three days and furnace keep us warm and cozy.
In your water bay you have a fan switch, left hand side of water hook-up panel, that needs to be on so when ever the furnace comes on a 12v fan in foil tube near your drivers side water tank bay, look up, can come on to heat your water tank compartments and area near the water filter.
Also during cold weather add a piece of insulation blanket on the floor of the water bay. Only remover to dump your tanks.
Most of your plumbing is insulated between the floor and ceiling of your compartments only exposed in water bay, fill the fresh water tanks and disconnect the water hose.
2003 Owners Guide
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

Thank you 007,
Yes I had the switch on and the fan was working before this cold spell came in. I just don't know if it still working. The blanket idea is perfect I will try that. Most of the lines in the water day are frozen right now. Weather man says it will get up to 40 tomorrow so I can then test everything out. I will put some by pass on the filter lines just to get the water pressure back to see if any other damage has occurred.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When the furnace is running you should see the fan running in tube, there are some fuses in back of furnace after you take off grill under fridge, and inside panel screwed into floor and one of them maybe for fan, I think there is three of them.
The fan cycles with the furnace.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter