Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #1

Winter weather question

I am heading to Nappanee Jan. 20th. The forecast is calling for single digit temperatures and even a -4 degree morning. I have a 2019 LADS with Oasis. My question is , is it safe and doable? Or is that to cold?
I have plans for spring which means rescheduling will put me into late summer. So I would greatly appreciate advice from more experienced folks!
Thanks in advance!
Bucsfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Your really not giving us enough info to answer that question accurately.
I will take a shot.
If you are not winterized and staying with the unit and Ossis on you should not have a problem. I personally have been in those temps and colder while keeping the Oasis on and there was absolutely no problem. We had flesh water tanks in use and used all plumbing.
If you are leaving the unit with no Ossis on and it is not winterized 🧐 then your in trouble.
Hope this helps.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucsfann View Post
I am heading to Nappanee Jan. 20th. The forecast is calling for single digit temperatures and even a -4 degree morning. I have a 2019 LADS with Oasis. My question is , is it safe and doable? Or is that to cold?
I have plans for spring which means rescheduling will put me into late summer. So I would greatly appreciate advice from more experienced folks!
Thanks in advance!
Turn on the Heat and head down the road - couple of things to watch for or be sure you do - Use the Engine Heat to run the Oasis as you travel - turn up the heat in the basement, seperate thermostat - Keep an Eye on the Weather/Snow - Never a bad idea to have a few small electric heater for that Just in Case Moment.

Use the onboard water - Bring in the Hose - after Dumping, Bring in the Hose.

If you are going to do more winter Camping you might get some heavy Reflexic for the Windshield as it is single pane and the Heat leaves and the Cold come from it.

With a London Aire you should be fine. Might even post back to report on how it went. -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Use your floor heat will be a big part of keeping the LA warm. We have been 0 degrees in our 18 LA with the coach covered in ice and were comfortable inside. Keep the heat going during the day when it warms up so you start the night off warmer.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I will post how it goes!
Bucsfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucsfann View Post
Thanks in advance!
biggest risk you will face is fuel gelling.....if the fuel gels in your oasis fuel filter (most likely located up front, in the generator compartment), your primary heat source will go out.....running the floors, and the oasis on electric, wouldn't be enough, in short order, at zero to below zero temps...

now, you will be there during the week, so access to the inside (heated) service bay will never be more than 12-16 hrs away, if you have a problem....heat goes out at 430pm, after all the techs have left for the day, you have to wait until 6am the next morning for rescue and movement into the heated bay (unless the engine won't start, of course)......

so treat your fuel....thats the best advice i can give...i have had my fuel gel in the past, at 10 below (it was treated), and it wasn't a fun fire drill (i was prepared, too)....at those zero to sub zero temps, especially if there is any wind, interior coach temps (even with the slides in) drop disconcertingly fast.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:20 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was there in dec. I kept the engine block heater on all night and used kleen fuel additive to help fuel from gelling.

I am spending the winter in Colorado. Dont need to move the coach, but i should to do something to protect the oasis fuel filter.

Very comfortable and fully functional experience so far.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
BucsFann - Some great suggestions posted here. We've spent the past 3 winters at Park City. Last winter we had about 10 days below zero, in our 2015 DSDP - comfortable, full functionality, with zero issues. Here are our priorities for below zero in the coach -
1. Winterized diesel (aka #1 diesel), full tank, which never gel'd for us
- practicality says, whatever the truckers are running up North
- if not available, then an additive like Power Service brand diesel fuel winterizer / anti-gel (white bottle) 1.5 quarts / 150 gallons
2. Keep the heated floors on High. They radiate heat up and down into the basement, including some effect on the fuel temp.
3. Do not turn the Oasis off - either on diesel burner (preferred), or A/C if the diesel failed for any reason.
- As long as there's a heat source in the Oasis, the thermistor in the wet bay will activate the heat exchanger in the wet bay at 40* (at least that's the way it works in the DSDP), and keep the water works from freezing
4. Some type of electric portable heater - we use a Dyson.
5. Monitor the temp in the wet bay with a remote thermometer
- should not drop below 40*
6. Activate the engine block heater for 6+ hours prior to starting the engine
7. Tank heat pads on, if equipped
8. Trouble light under hood near Oasis diesel fuel filter (if really cold - we've never done this...)

We do a few other things, like a heated mattress pad, rugs beneath recliners over slide out, insulation in the sky light & vent fans - but these are more for personal comfort.
Good Luck - Embrace the Pace / Behold the Cold!
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter