RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Question Winterization

We use our coach extensively in the winter, parking at various ski resorts, sometimes for up to two weeks with temps in the teens and twenties.Our newest DP coach has an icemaker and splende all is one washer dryer. I spotted the ice maker control valve in the refer access area and surmise that it will freeze in a heartbeat. The water lines for the washer dryer are behind a trim panel in the rear wardrobe. I have had good results with heat tape in the past and plan on getting the portion of the line I can get to taped up. Does anyone have a clue where the washer and ice maker line Ts from ? Id like to install a shut off at that point, pressure blow the water lines and shut off the icemaker and washer for the season.

teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you would specify which coach and year you have, you will get better responses. However, the ice make will T off from the filtered water line, under the kitchen sink, presumeing you have a filter. The washer will probably be from the closest common cold and hot water lines.

pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You need to run RV antifreeze through the washer. Whether or not you blow out the lines, the washer water pump needs to have antifreeze in it ...run antifreeze in, and then pump it out.

My ice maker t's off under the galley sink. The water lines to the washer are totally separate in my MH as the washer is completely in the rear of the coach.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Coach is a 07 Ventana 3933. Thanks for the tips. I'm supposed to get it back from Newmar and Spartan by Christmas. Great welcome home project.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwally View Post
...parking at various ski resorts, sometimes for up to two weeks...
A bit off topic - I am curious, may I ask what ski resorts have allowed you to do this, in the resort parking lot? or a nearby CG? or other parking lot? My experience in Summit County CO is no way Jose in the ski resort (or any town owned) lots.

PM me if you prefer....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #6

BTW - Norcold winterizing is just remove the lines from that solenoid, allow to drain and then just tape them open in a baggie to keep them clean.... Then just use the old fashioned ice trays for ice - your choice of setting them in the Norcold freezer or the outdoor freezer!

Additional Norcold note: The lines from that solenoid to the ice maker may have heat tape on them as well as a wrap or two around the solenoid - silver tape. Seems to work well into the 20's. No experience below that...

Some tips I found for what you are doing are here:

Essex and General info on Sub Zero temp coach use - iRV2 Forums
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

We camp/ski near Mt Rainer at <www.skicrystal.com> 40 RV hook ups. Also hookups at Stevens Pass and White Pass,t Hood in Oregon and Kirkwood, Ca and so Lake Tahoe, and Whistler BC. Talk about ski in ski out Wink Wink Nod
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

teamwally: Thanks for the scoop!!! That's a lot of variety and options.... Jealous!!!! (But quickly writing it all down in my notes...) You won't find that kind of reception in Colorado! Boo hoo...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/where...er-106035.html

I hear you about the ski in/out ... Nothing like it eh?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
teamwally, here is a thread that will cover your winter skills so you will be able to enjoy the skiing more.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

Our ice maker has the shutoff below the furnace. I have to run antifreeze through that line after unhooking it from the icemaker solenoid which is located in the outside refer compartment.

I would advise strongly to reed your manual and winterize step by step as described and go over it twice to ensure you did not miss a step.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input, as soon as she gets back I'll go to work.