Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Winterization light?

I live in the Los Angeles area, and when I'm not using it my Bay Star Sport is in uncovered storage (it's hard and very, very pricy to find covered storage for a 34' coach in LA). It seems silly to think about winterizing a coach in Southern California, but I have seen occasional night time temperatures a little below freezing.

Should I be concerned about winterizing my coach if it only sees a night or two slightly below freezing? Is there a mini-winterization that could be done in these circumstances, or should I go whole hog?
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #2

It's not hard to winterize your coach and it can be done in 15 minutes after a couple of trial runs. I would do a full winterize and then you don't have to worry about your RV and weather related issues. Otherwise, you can gamble on the weather, but eventually you may lose!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #3

Do you have access to power while in storage? Even 20amp? If so, you have a couple options and this is what I do in Oregon.

If the forecast is for freezing temps during the night, but warming above freezing during the day I will just turn on my propane heat to 45 to keep the coach temps above freezing. I also put a small space heater in my wet bay. I have 5 remote temperature sensors installed in various areas in the coach. Such as under each sink and in the wet bay so I can monitor temps.

If we are in for sustained temps below freezing, then I will open my low point drains and use an air compressor to blow out any water. Drain my fresh tank and water heater. I will then open each tap and blow the line out with compressed air. Once that is done I leave all the taps open and pour RV antifreeze into my p-traps. Don’t forget to run your pump dry. I still leave the heat set to 45 degrees.

If it is going to be really cold, I do the standard winterization. I try to avoid it as my wife has very sensitive taste and while I can’t taste the after effects of antifreeze, she can.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Do you have access to power while in storage? Even 20amp? If so, you have a couple options and this is what I do in Oregon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any access to power while in storage.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm up in the Fresno area and we get more freezing weather than you do and I've never winterized my coach.

I think you'll be fine as is.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
A few nights just below freezing is not going to cause any problems. If you start getting into the teens you may have reason to be concerned but they are well insulated.
Rev. Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by southardrv View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have any access to power while in storage.
I think the answer to this may depend on your RV. How many lines/tanks are exposed.

But you could probably accomplish a lot just by opening the low point drains with all the fixtures open and then driving around to clear the lines as much as possible. Then add some antifreeze to the traps and black/grey tanks.

If all your lines are above in the living area you could also take some fresh batteries and set the propane furnace to whatever the lowest setting is for any night where you think it might dip below freezing. I'm assuming that's a rather infrequent occurrence-a once or twice a year thing.

Of course keep in mind the consequences of doing too little can be severe.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I live in Ventura County and we've NEVER seen cold enough weather in 65 years to warrant winterizing. Unless you park your coach up at Big Bear, you'll be the only coach in So Cal, that is winterized.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Price of two to three gallons of RV and Marine antifreeze and 15-20 minutes of time will save you more than that if you need to have a RV tech repair a water line. Not to mention it could be in the shop for a month or two.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

Open the low point drains, empty the fresh water and the hot water tanks, run the water pump dry and put some antifreeze in the drains. Then open all the faucets including the outside shower. That should do it.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I live in Ventura County and we've NEVER seen cold enough weather in 65 years to warrant winterizing. Unless you park your coach up at Big Bear, you'll be the only coach in So Cal, that is winterized.
What Don said, your coach is well insulated and will retain the heat during the days sunlight to keep you out of a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
What Don said, your coach is well insulated and will retain the heat during the days sunlight to keep you out of a problem.

+1. Don’t know where in SoCal you’re located but you don’t need to winterize. We’ve had 2 RVs over the past 12 years in the SF Bay area. Never winterized. Used to store outdoors but now store indoors for sun protection.

As others have said if you’re worried, open all the low point drain valves and put some antifreeze down all the drains, plus run the pump dry. Little time and little money for some peace of mind. But you really don’t need to.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #13

I have the same question. Just got our new Bay Star 3014 and also live in LA. But we are in "Cold Canyon" in the Santa Monica mountains and we do get a few nights below freezing for a few hours in January. More than once our home pipes have frozen and once they burst. We do have 15 amp service (hoping to install a 50amp plug). I was hoping/planning to run the tank heater and the furnace at around 45-50 degrees on those few cold nights. I'm curious about the space heaters for the wet bays. Can someone tell me specifically what to buy? And if you think my plan is good?

Someone else suggested hooking up to city water, opening the gray water valve and running a slow trickle all night too. Thoughts?
JillFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #14

Try mounting a 100W light bulb in your wet bay area which can then be plugged in on cold concerning nights. All you need to do is keep the temp above the pipe bursting temperature which is low 20's for pipes with water but no line pressure in them. Now if you have city water pressure at say 60 PSI, then the pipe bursting temperature will be in the high 20's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank light.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	307121  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, winter