Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #1

being this will be the first time winterizing my coach, i will need all the help i can get. the owners manual is very vague in this important area. it does not mention locations of valves,nothing about icemaker or washer/dryer. my owners manual is for a 2004 kountry star diesel and i have a gasser.i don't think that should make that much diferance for winterizing. any help such as to your procedure in winterizing will be greatly appreciated
nowrelxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #2

NOWRELXN: Since I have the same floorplan (and so does 007), perhaps "we" can remember all you need to do!

There are several "low point drains" which you simply open the valves. Both sides of the fressh water tank also have drain valves. You should remove the anode plug from the water heater, and allow it to empty (10gals).

In the first compartment in front of the rear wheels, Driver's side, there are valves which need to be reversed from the normal position, so you can use the pump to suck in anti-freeze and force it through the lines to the various fixtures.

As for your ice-maker and W/D- I don't know what to tell you, 'cause I don't have those.

Hopefully ROGER will be along shortly to correct / add to my comments above. Good luck, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #3

Edgray, Thanks for your reply. Iam ok with the winterization up to the point where it says to close the water suppy valve that flows from the pump to the tank. Is there a valve for the icemaker or does it need to be blown out with compressed air? I hope Roger will help me out.Thanks Bob
Old 08-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK Bob whats left, ice maker in back of refrige door line from water faucet under sink should have a valve to close. Remove plastic line to refer than remove line to valve at back of refer this line goes to . I leave this off blow thru to get water out. The water in ice making tray use a sponge to remove all the water in tray and dry tray out with paper towels. Lift bar of ice maker to open valve down to valve in back of refer. Water will drain out, also check resivore for defrost water drain. You can cover valves and drain ends with plastic bags to prevent visitors. Don't have a washer but disconnect hoses and blow out hose lines with air compressor, take off face of washer should have access to hoses under and pump some how you maybe able to suck in anti into hoses and pump by turning on washer. Check with a locale washer dealer. When you pump in anti at your water pump location outside I use about 5 gals in large bucket and fill all water lines toilet valves and sprays shower & sprayer, all faucets AFTER like ED said open than close low point drains. Don't forget HW heater by-pass valves, a diagram on wall next to heater. Don't fill heater.
Have fun and double check yourself. Have done this way on three Newmars with out problems. Oh yes you may have a water filter in dump compart and one under sink for both ice maker and spout on sink remove filters and get new ones for next year.
If we went to south we wouldn't have to do all this.
Don't forget the traps and I also put some down into holding tanks for your large drain valves and toilet seal the one for washer also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

Thanks "007" for your reply, but I am still not sure of item no.7 in my owners manuel.It says to close the water supply valve that flows from the pump to the tank. Is this valve located on the passenger side at the bottom of the fresh water tank? Thanks again, Bob
Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No the valve they are talking about is on the line that goes to pump from your water tank right next to the pump. Drivers side. It will shut off line to tank and devert the line for pumping the anti when you remove the plug from end of plastic tube. Other valves are your drain valves from your water tanks two of them, close after draining water tanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #8

Don't forget to swop those valves by the hot water heater to make the pump divert the antifreeze into the hot waster side of the system. Last year I thought by pushing all the antifreeze into the system my filter would be ok. Nope, it froze and broke last winter, you need to remove it after you do the rest of the process. My filter lays flat on it's side, this may be why water was trapped inside.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #9

Thank you gentelmen for your help. This forum is such a great source of information for me. I have learned more about my coach here than from the owners manuel.Newmar builds such a great coach,but I can't understand why thier owners manuel is so vague in many areas. Maybe it's just me,or does anyone else feel the same way? My pervious coach, a Winnebago Chieftian, had a very detailed,step by step,easy to follow directions for performing routine maintenance functions.Also gave locations and diagrams of the areas involved.Maybe I have the wrong owners manuel as mine says Kountry Star Diesel Pusher.I guess it should be pretty much the same except for the chassis.Any comments? Stop rambling on Bob and sign off. OK
Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other thing on your hot water heater shut off the switch so if you accidently put on switch in panel over entrance door your won't burn out the electric element in your empty WH.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One other thing on your hot water heater shut off the switch so if you accidently put on switch in panel over entrance door your won't burn out the electric element in your empty WH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HEY ROGER: please speak s-l-o-w-e-r ! Some of us blondes out here didn't quite get that last suggestion

what switch where again, PLEASE. ED
Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok on the face of your water heater outside there is a switch that feeds 110 to heating element, that switch is fed from the switch over your door with the red light that indicates on when your useing your electric heating element for your hot water heater.
Now with your HW tank empty, winterized, you could or someone else may accidently put on the switch inside over the door with no water in the HW tank thus burning out your electric element.
Don't ask me how I know this but it can happen.
Leave a note near inside switch for putting on switch outside in spring when you refill with water. I forget sometimes.
Some people have water heater access inside in a cabinet there should be a switch or take off square access plate on back of HW you will see wires white and black with clips pushed on male pins pull off the element and tape ends of wires and leave a note. When you reconnect in spring make sure you push the female wire clips on the male prong DON'T PUSH between the plastic and the male prong because the clip will heat up and melt and disconnect from your electric element. Dealer did this for a friend twice before I fixed it for them. If you don't have a switch outside take off cover,black, next to drain plug and just disconnect clips on element and tape, but I think you will find a black rocker switch.
I'am tired now but if you have any more ??? just ask.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #13

THANKS, Roger. I think I got it this time! And those other tips you gave sure sound like the voice of experience talkin, so I'll heed that advice as well. ED