Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 75
Winterizing a 2019 4018

We live in Portland Or and don't really have to harsh of a winter. My question to you is do you just drain your coach and blow all the lines out or do you purchase the RV antifreeze and fill your pipes up with the pink stuff? I don't see any freezing weather in the near future but want to be ready when it hits. We have a washing machine and ice maker so this will be a more involved project than when I winterized our fifth wheel. I blew out the pipes in the fifth wheel and never had a problem but need to hear from the experts. Thanks for any help....
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rfg9585's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: China Grove, NC
Posts: 624
Just turn on the heat when you expect it to get cold enough to damage pipes. I been doing this for the last several years and no issues. I keep a remote temp monitor to help me keep an eye on things.
__________________
Randy Goodman - 2006 Newmar Mtn Aire 4032 DP, Spartan, Blue OX Avail, 2021 JLU Rubicon 35/12.5s. 2020 Jeep JLU Sahara stock.1st RV 3/19. Looking for a much nicer\NEW ride!!
rfg9585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Just turn on the heat when you expect it to get cold enough to damage pipes. I been doing this for the last several years and no issues. I keep a remote temp monitor to help me keep an eye on things.
Thanks so much for you help. Our motor home is four miles east of our home in a covered storage lot. I am sure this would but need to learn how to program the generator auto start as I would have to leave on the power to run the Oasis and fans. What temperature do you keep you Mountain Air?
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Member
 
1Blue78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 82
RV antifreeze is cheap, why not blow the lines with air and fill with AF? Then you can worry about something else.
__________________
2020 Arctic Fox 25Y
2017 GMC SRW 3500 CC SLT L5P
1Blue78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ThunderRidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Winter: Fort Wilderness Campground
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue78 View Post
RV antifreeze is cheap, why not blow the lines with air and fill with AF? Then you can worry about something else.
Completely agree. No worries about the heat going out, the power going out or whether or not the generator will start. I store mine in Minnesota in an unheated garage and we get temperatures well below zero every winter. Insurance of the company prevents auto genstart, running propane, diesel burners or other types of heaters.

RV antifreeze equals peace of mind.
__________________
Paul, Cathy and Chocolate Lab, RIO
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4362 (Spartan)
2012 Ford F-150
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rfg9585's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: China Grove, NC
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
Thanks so much for you help. Our motor home is four miles east of our home in a covered storage lot. I am sure this would but need to learn how to program the generator auto start as I would have to leave on the power to run the Oasis and fans. What temperature do you keep you Mountain Air?
I have the waterbay set to max which is ~50, and the inside set to ~60. In my situation my coach is right beside my house and I leave it plugged into 110, even with solar. This will ensure my heater runs with no electrical interruptions. Being so close I definitely check it out in the COLD am to be sure. I like this technique rather than going thru the antifreeze process because I might miss something, fridge, WD, AH, etc. I also like this because doing it this way I am ready to go anywhere on a moments notice without going thru the de-winterize process(yuck).

In the end its a choice for your situation......
__________________
Randy Goodman - 2006 Newmar Mtn Aire 4032 DP, Spartan, Blue OX Avail, 2021 JLU Rubicon 35/12.5s. 2020 Jeep JLU Sahara stock.1st RV 3/19. Looking for a much nicer\NEW ride!!
rfg9585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
2cyber71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,276
The day you have frozen pipes in a RV is a day you will cry.
I’ve seen it all in 22 yrs.
Get some pink stuff and winterize.
Usually the manual has it in the back pages.
The washer is easy. The ice maker is easy.
If you are unsure of your skills, do what I did 20 yrs ago. Pay a tech to teach you how to winterize.
I have a 43 ft with washer, dishwasher, two bathrooms, and ice maker.
It took me about 1 hour to fully winterize.
I keep a cheat sheet next to the dishwasher and the washer just to make sure, since I just got the RV with a dishwasher last year.
Antifreeze is $2.70 a gallon at Walmart
They even ship it

IMPORTANT if you have a Aquahot
DO NOT blow the lines, use antifreeze only.
You can damage the Aquahot.
I think oasis has the same warning
My Horizon uses about 14 gallons total

Here is my cheat sheet.

__________________
2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q
Previous RVs
99 Storm 30H, 04 Southwind 32 VS, 07 Ellipse 40FD
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Completely agree. No worries about the heat going out, the power going out or whether or not the generator will start. I store mine in Minnesota in an unheated garage and we get temperatures well below zero every winter. Insurance of the company prevents auto genstart, running propane, diesel burners or other types of heaters.

RV antifreeze equals peace of mind.
You are right. There has been a few times when we have had ice storms with power outages and couldn't get into the secured lot with the gate frozen shut and powerless. I am grateful for everyones advice here. One person said you can damage you Oasis diesel water heater by blowing out the lines. Thank heavens I read that before I drove up there with my compressor.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I have the waterbay set to max which is ~50, and the inside set to ~60. In my situation my coach is right beside my house and I leave it plugged into 110, even with solar. This will ensure my heater runs with no electrical interruptions. Being so close I definitely check it out in the COLD am to be sure. I like this technique rather than going thru the antifreeze process because I might miss something, fridge, WD, AH, etc. I also like this because doing it this way I am ready to go anywhere on a moments notice without going thru the de-winterize process(yuck).

In the end its a choice for your situation......
Since our motorhome is four miles away I am now after reading all the posts going to use the RV antifreeze. Thanks everyone
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 DS 4018 Sink switches Dutch Star Don Newmar Owner's Forum 18 08-13-2018 09:55 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.