Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Winterizing Fridge

We have a new to us 2016 DSDP 4369 with the typical Whirlpool fridge. Getting ready to winterize and plan on blowing air thru the water dispenser in the door. How do you clear water from the ice maker?Is there a water shut off valve going to the fridge, if yes where? I plan on blowing out all the other lines and pumping rv anti freeze thru them. Any other tips are appreciated (I know head south) as this the first winterization.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
We have a new to us 2016 DSDP 4369 with the typical Whirlpool fridge. Getting ready to winterize and plan on blowing air thru the water dispenser in the door. How do you clear water from the ice maker?Is there a water shut off valve going to the fridge, if yes where? I plan on blowing out all the other lines and pumping rv anti freeze thru them. Any other tips are appreciated (I know head south) as this the first winterization.
I believe there is a button on the bottom of the ice maker unit that cycles it.
It is hard to spot unless you get down and look up. pressurize to system (not more then 45PSI to be safe) hit the button, might have to do it a couple of times. Next enter the anti-freeze and do it again till u see the tray filled with pink (tray under the unit not the whole ice tray)
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not a big fan of "blowing the lines". But that's just me.....

We also have a Whirlpool fridge with ice maker and water dispenser.......we use the pink antifreeze. Never had a problem.

What we do is winterize the motor home's sinks, showers, toilets, and run water through the fridge's water dispenser until pick stuff comes out. Then we do the washer, which requires starting a cycle and then canceling and draining, check you owner's manual for proper procedure.

After we have basically winterized the rig, we leave the fridge on, along with the ice maker and water pump.

Let that go over night and when we return, there is pink slush in the ice tray and we are winterized.

Blowing air through "the lines" is great for rigs with no additional appliances connected to the water supply - but now that many of us enjoy water dispensers, ice makers, washing machines - I am not sure the air will dispel all the water.

Again.....this is just me.....as I have dealt with frozen, broken lines in the past.

Oh - - and there is a water shut valve to the fridge - - our's is under the sink.

Good luck.

g
Old 10-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Go to this link to read near the end of this article how to energize the water solenoid to speed up the blow-down process. Please note, that on certain models, the icemaker is powered down with the freezer drawer open. Insert jumper in appropriate holes, then depress drawer switch.

This is a slick shortcut.

Whirlpool 'Modular' Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker | The Appliance Clinic
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #5

The water shutoff valve is accessed via the compartment forward where the Oasis is. Stick your head up there and look along the frame rail. There may be two valves-one to the fridge and one to the front hot water spigot in the genny compartment.

Whirlpool also has a winterizing cap to use in place of the water filter.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. To be safe I think I will blow it out and then use the pink stuff.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. To be safe I think I will blow it out and then use the pink stuff.
Ummmm......just a thought....

If you are going to use antifreeze - - no need to blow anything out as the antifreeze will push all water out.......

Just sayin'.

Good luck.

g
Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

I like to blow things out and then use the pink antifreeze too. May be overkill but I just like to be sure things are as winterized as I can get them. Air and pink antifreeze are both pretty cheap. I'm retired so my time is pretty reasonable too.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Ummmm......just a thought....

If you are going to use antifreeze - - no need to blow anything out as the antifreeze will push all water out.......

Just sayin'.

Good luck.

g

It does but that pink stuff looks too diluted as it is so I have always blown first. Also you tend to use less pink when yo blow first. Either way gets it done.

Tags
fridge, winter