Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 AM   #1

I have a 06 MADP. This is the 1st MH I,ve had with an icemaker. How is the best or correct way to winterize it. Thanks for the help.
JoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 AM   #2

I have a 06 MADP. This is the 1st MH I,ve had with an icemaker. How is the best or correct way to winterize it. Thanks for the help.
JoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:38 AM   #3

To; JoJim, RE; Icemaker,

This subject was covered previously, but is important enough to repeat.

There are many ways/suggestions.

I have, and still do wat I feel is the easiest and most thorough procedure.

First , I blow out all lines and tank with a small compressor,

At $3.50 a gallon, RV antifreeze is cheap and I use 10 gallons to winterize system, including icemaker.

I do not take anything apart, why tamper with something that's not leaking.

With 10 gallons in the tank , the pump will pump antifreeze through entire system.

Open each faucet/etc. until you get all antifreeze.

Put the frige on and let the icemaker go thru 5-6 cycles or until you get pure antifreeze in the icemaker and it's storage tray.

This procedure takes a little time, but there will be NO freezing.

Hope this helps====AJBJRVERS====
Old 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #4

The manufacturer recommends that air (low pressure) blown through the solenoid to remove any water. This is done by removing the input line and applying AC to the solenoid and putting the icemaker through a "harvest" cycle. This should be all explained either in your owners manual for the frig or on a tag attached to the solenoid. I save time by removing the solenoid and bring it inside for the winter. Takes less time and less antifreeze. Besides I don't like antifreeze in the icemaker it takes to many times making ice to get rid of the pink color and taste. My mountain air took 3 gallons of anti freeze to winterize. My new DSDP has a washer/dryer so it will take more.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never used anti in ice maker, disconnect tubing to valve drained line. Use sponge to remove water from ice maker and dry with paper towels. I leave tube disconnected from valve put tape on openings so no bugs or such can't get in. You can use air pressure with wire handle down if you think all the water didn't drain out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #6

Everybody seems to be missing the most obvious solution to winterproofing the ice maker (and other easily forgotton things).

Go to very Southern Texas, Florida, or Arizona for the Winter!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #7

It looks like my smart-alec comment killed the entire thread. Sorry about that. Sometime I think I'm a wit. I'm gennerally half right.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:45 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Actually Ken, I don't think it was a thread killer at all....I hadn't checked this thread as I'm hoping to follow your comments literally!!

Other than an unplanned trek to Nappanee, I'm not planning on having to do ANY cold weather sleepovers, so winterization won't be necessary.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote