Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

We're going to head to Jasper Canada in a couple of weeks and drive down through Lake Louise and into Montana and Wyoming. Do we need to winterize in case of dropping temperatures? Can we have this done at a Camping World?

Thanks,

Tom
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #2

We're going to head to Jasper Canada in a couple of weeks and drive down through Lake Louise and into Montana and Wyoming. Do we need to winterize in case of dropping temperatures? Can we have this done at a Camping World?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #3

Tom, If you are going to be camping each night in the coach, you should be fine without winterizing. Make sure you set the basement temperature at about 40 degrees. Enjoy.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #4

Disconect your hose at night if it goes below freezing.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Tom, in a couple of weeks you COULD have plenty of snow from Jasper on... roads should be ok....you MIGHT have plenty of sunshine....
I lived for over 30 years around Edmonton, so - I had my fill with snow and ice.... if you do not have Basement heat, you need to put lots of RV Antifreeze into the grey and black Tank. Local RV Dealers have that STUFF for Sale. Take a few extra Bottles before you go to bed, put
RV Antifreeze in every drain, Shower included. Maybe let
the coldwater tap drip, if you can sleep with the pump on. HOTWATER tank needs to stay on... Just a few things....
January is the coldest month... you want to be in AZ or close to the Mexican Border, but you knew that already.
Have a safe trip
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #6

I see from you profile that you have a 40 motorhome.

It has been my experience that your fresh water and holding tanks will not freeze as long as the overnight temps drop into the 20's and the daytime temps are above freezing. Make sure that you bring in your fresh water and dump hose ( I suggest you fill your fresh water tank and stow your hose ... dump and stow your hose) dealing with frozen fresh water hoses are like wrestling with alligators ... and frozen sewer hoses (you don't want to know) ... on my Winnebago it is also important to turn off my heat pump and turn on my LP furnace because the heat ducts from the furnace are what heats my basemtn storage bays ... so you will need to make sure that your storage bays are heated

When it gets colder than that I have learned to:
1) Put a trouble light near my water pump and holding tank valves
2) Make sure that I have plenty of LP because I have to move my rig to refill the tank ... in the summer we often go for months without refilling the LP tank ... but in really cold weather that is a weekly event ...
3. I put down something "disposeable" under my jack pads ... I have had my jacks freeze to the ground (gravel and black top) and had to physically crawl underneath to dislodge them ... if you don't have anything disposable then use a block or something that you can dislodge after you have moved from your spot.

PS. Winterization is something that you can do yourself in about an hour ... but I don't think you will want to do that unless you are determined to stay in colder climates through the end of the year. Winterization for most people in your situtation is to turn the rig so that the compass is pointing to S proceed until the thermometer reads reasonable again ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips everyone! And yes, we will be in warmer weather come winter.