Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Winterizing Your Newmar In-Depth - Mike Mas

Hello Forum Members

Winterizing an RV can be difficult for both new owners as well as a seasoned RV Owner. Since I recently acquired a Newmar New Aire, I figured this would be a good opportunity to write an In-depth article on Winterizing.

This article covers three levels of winterizing from cold storage, to milder protection for those who like to use their coach all year or live in the lower states, although this years' weather has been crazy.

While winterizing may seem complicated at first, after a few seasons, it becomes somewhat normal. With the advancements in new motor homes, sometimes even trivial things seem complicated.

This article also touches base briefly on the Oasis Hydronic unit, the advantage of radiant floor heat for winter, compartment heaters and a few precautions to hopefully keep your coach on the road.

I hope you guys enjoy the article as much as I enjoyed writing and shooting it. If you have any contributions or tips, I would welcome them to this thread!

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Mike

Please click on the link below for the article:

www.rotory.com/coach/winter
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Wonderful presentation/explanation - thank you !!
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice work Mike I have added to the important links for Newmar Owners sticky above.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

Thanks so much guys!

Regards - Mike
Old 02-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
How do you get RV A/F into the Oasis system?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Being this will be our first RV (delivery set for June), winterization is my biggest concern. For beginners do you recommend letting dealer or the RV storage facility perform this task or easy enough to follow even for newbies like myself? Thanks Excellent instruction guide!
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your coach is coming from the factory it will already be winterized, June wouldn't need.
Didn't say what coach, most people follow this winterizing link on forums.
I would do myself wouldn't trust anyone else.
Bay Star should not be that hard to do.
Congrats on your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Neal,
The Oasis system is filled with a fluid mixture used for heat transfer which has an anti-freeze element. The H2O heat exchanger located within the distribution box does has potable water which if you follow Mike's instructions you will have that protected too. Just pumping the RV antifreeze (pink stuff) into the coach's system will force it into the exchanger. First you should drain the H2O heat exchanger, then blow out your lines by opening both the cold and hot water at each sink/outlet, then pump the pink stuff.

Keep in mind that the Oasis burner/AC elements heats the Oasis heat transfer fluid and then this fluid heats your H2O through the heat exchangers. The two fluids are different.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Hello Neal - To fill the Oasis anti freeze there is a switch on top of the controller to fill the unit or to replace the fluid. Also there is an expansion tank on the rear of the coach under the hood, with marked levels for hot & cold.

On the close up shot, it shows the Oasis fluid systems inlet and outlet as well as the domestic water drain for yearly winterizing.

Here's a few images I found.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	191065   Click image for larger version

Name:	fill.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	191066  

Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have to have electric or diesel burners on to get the flow through oasis?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

I was going to post this over on the old Oasis how to winterize. But here are the latest instructions from Oasis.

Summary, there are two ways to winterize the water side of the Oasis. 1) Drain the Oasis at the Domestic Drain point using air pressure to blow out all of the lines. 2) Pump RV water line antifreeze through the system opening both the Hot and Cold lines within the coach. That will put RV antifreeze into the Oasis water lines.

Neal, no you don't need to turn on the Oasis system to do this. The pumps on the Oasis are for moving fluid through the heating system. Water flow is dependent on shore water pressure or the 12v water pump.

Oasis fresh water side only holds .1 gallons according the document from Oasis.

WINTERIZATION-OF-THE-OASIS-SYSTEM-1.pdf
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

I winterized my NA earlier this season and have since de-winterized as I'm now in FL. I can report nothing broke. :-) It was the first time I've winterized an RV (this is my first RV) and it wasn't hard. Just a little cold outside!

Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
I winterized my NA earlier this season and have since de-winterized as I'm now in FL. I can report nothing broke. :-) It was the first time I've winterized an RV (this is my first RV) and it wasn't hard. Just a little cold outside!
Great video Cinergi, thanks for sharing! My only suggestion is was "Way Too Cold" I can hear you shivering! LOL

Mike
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Nice work Mike I have added to the important links for Newmar Owners sticky above.

Thanks 007, I just seen your post!

Mike

Tags
newmar, winter