Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Winterze in Charleston, SC

I have a 2014 Newmar Bay Star. In March 2016 my wife and I will become full-timers (still working until then). We have week long trips planned up through December. The average low temp in the winter in Charleston, SC is approximately 42F but it has been known to freeze for several days in a row. We would like to take some trips in January and February. Do I need to winterize and just forget taking any trips after our trip in December? Does the air temp have to be freezing for several days in a row to impact the RV? It will be in a outside stoargae area. I am working with the place I store at to see if I can keep the rig plugged in. I plan on keeping the heat at about 60 in the RV.

During our past few trip I have notice that the carpet where the fresh water tank is gets moist. The top of the tank is dry. There are no leaks that I can see. Ione of the level sensors for the tank has come loose. How do I fix this?

Thanks all,

Jimmy
Jimmy Ghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Does your Bay Star have the 110v heating pad option for the tanks? If so, between that and the inside temp setting you should be fine. We are in coastal NC and saw a week's worth of below 20 degrees last winter with no problem on our previous Class C with no heat other than a trouble light underneath it.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

I have owned fifth wheels for years and live in New England. My resources have always told me that you need a hard freeze of 2 to 3 days to cause damage from cold temperatures and freezing water. There have been several times when the temps at night went into the 20s and it would be above freezing or in the 40s during the day. Using this strategy, I have never had any damage from freezing water and I never ran the heat, unless it got really cold for 2 days in a row and heat was needed. That's been my experience and I hope it helps.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Does your Bay Star have the 110v heating pad option for the tanks? If so, between that and the inside temp setting you should be fine. We are in coastal NC and saw a week's worth of below 20 degrees last winter with no problem on our previous Class C with no heat other than a trouble light underneath it.
Yes there is a heat pad for the fresh water. I am hoping the storage area will allow me to keep the rig plugged in. If so that should solve my issue. Thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
I have owned fifth wheels for years and live in New England. My resources have always told me that you need a hard freeze of 2 to 3 days to cause damage from cold temperatures and freezing water. There have been several times when the temps at night went into the 20s and it would be above freezing or in the 40s during the day. Using this strategy, I have never had any damage from freezing water and I never ran the heat, unless it got really cold for 2 days in a row and heat was needed. That's been my experience and I hope it helps.

Yes there is a heat pad for the fresh water. I am hoping the storage area will allow me to keep the rig plugged in. If so that should solve my issue. Thanks for the help

Tags
winter