Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #29
Community Moderator

I use the tennis balls plus put covers on the blades. Yes, nothing deforms the rubber this way.

Works great and the wipers are expensive at $30-40 per wiper blade....so want them to last a long time.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #30
jrs

I've been using pipe insulation and so far so good
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #31

I just put a Solo cup between the windshield and the wiper arm. It's tall enough to keep the wiping edge completely off the glass. Whenever I wash the windshield I wipe off the blade edges with the same non-ammonia glass cleaner. Still work like new after four years and 27,000 miles.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #32

Wipers

Generally on our main vehicle that is a transformer and becomes a TOAD seasonally wiper blades are replaced annually. UV light degrades what ever composition is used for the blades.
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #33

About anything will work to keep the wiper off the glass. Glass gets hot. I use PVC fittings.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #34

We use wiper covers when the coach is in storage. They minimize getting a set in the rubber and protect it from UV. Other techniques also work. We still change wiper blades every two years. We like to be able to actually see the road when it is raining hard. Wiper blades online are cheaper than Camping World.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use blocks of rigid insulating foam (about 2x2x2) notched for the wiper arm. This holds the wipers away from the windshield nicely. And it is free since I have the foam!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep your wiper blades clean.

I keep my blades off the glass using a piece of styrofoam and wipe the blades with a soapy rag using Dawn dish soap. Dirt will make them skip and appear hard and soap really helps. I have had wiper blades last for years by keeping them clean. If you don't use Dawn, Simple green does a pretty good job.

Tip I got from a parts jobber, you'd think he would have been trying to sell me blades Chemicals just eventually destroys the rubber just like using tire protector on tires, not recommended.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #37

Wipers

Just pull them down and wipe rub down the blade with an alcohol prep pad or two. They soften up and clean right up and work fine. Do it anytime you think there is an issue.
smrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #38

Make your own wiper protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
My wiper blades no longer flex and will wipe in only one direction. Possibly because the rubber has developed a memory from sitting idle. I noticed some people place a tennis ball under the wiper arm to keep the blade off the glass when parked. Is this the reason for the tennis ball?

I have often wondered if using tennis balls long term would decrease the spring tension that keeps the blades against the glass.

So, are using tennis balls a good thing or not?

I would appreciate your comments

Rex
I make my own wiper protectors from swim noodles. They only cost $1 each and are easy to cut to size, then slice down the middle so they slide right onto the wipers. They keep the wiper off the glass and completely protect the wiper blades from the sun.
rlcarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wipers

We go south for the winter. I just remove the wipers and store them in the basement. No pressure, no dirt, no UV rays. Pop them on before we travel.
fantasyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a fact that sunlight destroys/ hardens/ cracks the rubber, but also bakes dirt onto them. You can often scrub the rubber and get some extra life, but plan on replacing every 6-12-months (can vary w/ location)
Old 05-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I saw a video a few weeks back where it is suggested to take the wipers off and soak the rubber in 303 for a hour or so. Suggests it revitalizes the rubber. I have not tried it but seems plausible.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy new wiper refills?
dtucker300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
I use 3/4" pipe insulation. Cut to length, slide it over the blade. Keeps the blade off the glass and protects from the sun.
Just don't forget to remove them before you drive off.
Ditto!!!!! Been doing that for several years. It works great, especially when we're out in the Arizona desert sun for the winter. Now if I could just find a large enough diameter piece of pipe insulation to wrap the 5th wheel in, my life would be fulfilled.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote