Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 110
wiper blades and arms are on the painted area below the windshield.

Our new to us 2019 Newmar Dutch Star has had little time out in the rain. I am getting ready for our snowbird trip in AZ and noticed the blades and arms are below the level of the windshield. There is some dark residue from the rubber blades on the paint that comes off with my finger. Is this just a matter of pulling off the arms and rotating the arm so they stop sooner or do I need to take it to a mechanic. Things change over the years and I donít want to destroy my wipers

Thanks for any help in this matter.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
Our new to us 2019 Newmar Dutch Star has had little time out in the rain. I am getting ready for our snowbird trip in AZ and noticed the blades and arms are below the level of the windshield. There is some dark residue from the rubber blades on the paint that comes off with my finger. Is this just a matter of pulling off the arms and rotating the arm so they stop sooner or do I need to take it to a mechanic. Things change over the years and I donít want to destroy my wipers

Thanks for any help in this matter.
Not sure what youíre trying to tell us by saying your Dutch Star has had little time out in the rain. Is it almost always covered?
The residue from the blades on the paint doesnít take long if itís parked in the sun repeatedly. I have foam sleeves over my wipers to save them from UV damage. Replacing your wipers might be best, because Iíll bet theyíre parked more than theyíre used.

Different blades work differently on different brands. Maybe another Dutch Star owner can tell you how to reposition them in their park position.
__________________
kenandterry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Bye 2010 Georgetown 330TS after 10 terrific years, as we downsize for the next phase.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 21,954
Newmar uses a wiper arm with a soft metal spline. When you attach the arms, if they are not torqued properly, the arms will spin/sag. This may have been caused when a windshield was replaced, or the arms moved for another reason.

The arms can be adjusted via a turnbuckle type adjustment under the hood. The driver's side is a straight arm and loosening the nuts on both ends of the turnbuckle, allows you to twist and adjust the arm. However, the passenger side has a bend in the arm to pass around the A/C unit. This arm has to be removed at one end to make the adjustment.

Unless something broke, the arms shouldn't have sagged unless they're not tight. Newmar recommends replacing the arms once they're removed because of the soft splines. I kept having to adjust my 2019 arms until I realized the splines were the issue.

I pulled the arms off, realigned them so the wipers sat level. This may take several attempts to get them close. The final adjustment may require adjusting the turnbuckles if you're anal like me and want them perfectly level.

Here is where you resolve the issue. Once the blades are reinstalled, you need a torque wrench to tighten the wiper arm nuts. They need to be torqued to 65 pounds. Because the metal splines are soft, I torqued mine to 60 pounds, waited a day and then torqued them again to 65 pounds. I pushed mine to 70 pounds on the third day. By waiting a day between adjustments, it allows the soft metal to settle. Since I've tightened might this way, no more sagging issues.

NOTE: If the splines are really bad on the arms (distorted or missing) you may need new arms.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KenNJ's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miramar Beach, Florida
Posts: 853
wiper blades and arms are on the painted area below the windshield.

Just finished replacing my arms and wipers. Per Wiper Technologies the torque for my arms is 70lbs. After first torque, I waited two hours and torqued again. Waited over night and did a final torque check first thing the next day. Think I got them pretty level. Mine kept sagging which is why I replaced the arms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	382851
__________________
Ken & Diane
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 All Electric 400HP
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
Senior Member


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 450
When I had my windshield replaced I torqued my windshield wiper arm at 70 ft/lbs also 3 times. They have not moved.
__________________
Mahdi & Debbie
2019 Dutch Star 4018
Freightliner chassis 450
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Newmar uses a wiper arm with a soft metal spline. When you attach the arms, if they are not torqued properly, the arms will spin/sag. This may have been caused when a windshield was replaced, or the arms moved for another reason.

The arms can be adjusted via a turnbuckle type adjustment under the hood. The driver's side is a straight arm and loosening the nuts on both ends of the turnbuckle, allows you to twist and adjust the arm. However, the passenger side has a bend in the arm to pass around the A/C unit. This arm has to be removed at one end to make the adjustment.

Unless something broke, the arms shouldn't have sagged unless they're not tight. Newmar recommends replacing the arms once they're removed because of the soft splines. I kept having to adjust my 2019 arms until I realized the splines were the issue.

I pulled the arms off, realigned them so the wipers sat level. This may take several attempts to get them close. The final adjustment may require adjusting the turnbuckles if you're anal like me and want them perfectly level.

Here is where you resolve the issue. Once the blades are reinstalled, you need a torque wrench to tighten the wiper arm nuts. They need to be torqued to 65 pounds. Because the metal splines are soft, I torqued mine to 60 pounds, waited a day and then torqued them again to 65 pounds. I pushed mine to 70 pounds on the third day. By waiting a day between adjustments, it allows the soft metal to settle. Since I've tightened might this way, no more sagging issues.

NOTE: If the splines are really bad on the arms (distorted or missing) you may need new arms.
. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything so clearly. I will get on in tomorrow and let you know how it went. Again, I am grateful for your help.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not sure what youíre trying to tell us by saying your Dutch Star has had little time out in the rain. Is it almost always covered?
The residue from the blades on the paint doesnít take long if itís parked in the sun repeatedly. I have foam sleeves over my wipers to save them from UV damage. Replacing your wipers might be best, because Iíll bet theyíre parked more than theyíre used.

Different blades work differently on different brands. Maybe another Dutch Star owner can tell you how to reposition them in their park position.
Thanks for your help. Yes, we have only put about 4K on the rig since we bought it. It is parked undercover and only remember using the wipers once and they gave a loud thump when they touched bottom of their travel. I will get some of the covers that you suggest as some sun in the winter reaching in the covered area and hits the wipers.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr.Goodbar's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Just finished replacing my arms and wipers. Per Wiper Technologies the torque for my arms is 70lbs. After first torque, I waited two hours and torqued again. Waited over night and did a final torque check first thing the next day. Think I got them pretty level. Mine kept sagging which is why I replaced the arms.
That's exactly what the very helpful guy at BJ's RV and Marine Supply told me to do when I had the passenger side come loose while driving on interstate. rvandmarine.com That's where I ordered wiper blades.

To get both of the arms in the correct off position, I looked at a picture of the coach from when we bought it.
__________________
Tom, Kathy & 2 Goldendoodles, Sandy & Lucy
2019 Newmar Ventana LE 3412, Freightliner XCR, Cummins ISB6.7, 2014 Honda CR-V FWD
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 618
I leveled my arms out the way DS Don did his, however, since then I have discovered a much easier way to deal with this common issue. Since the wiper arms are so long, you can easily just bend the arms a little bit to bring them up higher. It does not take much bending to move them up a couple of inches. If you think that you are getting close to possibly kinking the arm tubing, then you can do what Don and I have done but it is a PIA on the passenger side-at least it was on my coach because the AC box was in the way of being able to turn the inner arm because that shaft has a bend in it and it could not be rotated without removing one end of it-I removed the end at the center by removing the snap ring.
__________________
Howard & Cheryl
2021 Dutch Star 4081
2018 F150, 1997 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 Tesla
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #10
Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 1,198
The groove on the arms is cut when then they are first installed. If you take them on and off, you can strip out the arms and have to replace them. Just words of advise. But in order to get them above the gasket, you would have to take them off and move up and install.
__________________
.
NATIONAL INDOOR RV CENTERS - NIRVC
Sales | Service | Indoor Storage | Wash
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration


SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
The groove on the arms is cut when then they are first installed. If you take them on and off, you can strip out the arms and have to replace them. Just words of advise. But in order to get them above the gasket, you would have to take them off and move up and install.
I was able to get the arms up but on the passenger side I almost ran out of adjustment. When I went to torque down the arms, it felt as if they had never been torqued down. I remember the owner saying he had the windshield replaced so it looks as though the person must have taken off the wipers. Whoever did the work never torqued down the nuts. I will see how it goes. If they start migrating down the front of the coach, I will have a dealer install new arms and blades. Thanks for taking the time to help a novice.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
scotttkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KK6YAU
Posts: 172
My 2020 this summer had both wipers fall down onto the paint, and only wipe part way up. I was able to move the arm back into position, and put over a full turn on the locking nut on each side, so far no more off the windshield movement. I think the torque specs are getting missed, or the vibration going down the road is causing the nuts to back out. Entropy in action!
__________________
2020 Newmar Kountry Star
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:13 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
RVStitchy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 845
I had my windshield replaced a few months ago. The glass company had to remove and reinstall the wiper arms to get the glass in place. I tried to get them to leave them on due to this whole topic. He said he had done thousands of RV windshields and never had a problem.

We were driving up I-95 yesterday and it started to rain. This is the first time running the wipers since the windshield replacement. On the third swipe the driver wiper flipped over 180 degrees and lodged itself between the sideview mirror and corner of the coach.

Fortunately it was a very light rain and we were close enough to our destination to get there without pulling over.

Since I was fore-warned in these forums about this issue I had purchased new wiper arms and had them stored in the coach.

I swapped out the wiper arm the next day. This is the first time I have done it and could now see the design. The wiper arm is driven down with torque onto a cone taper. The taper is grooved to give the arm a little more bight into the soft material when torqued down. Some people have called them splines, but this is nothing like splines that you find on pumps and drive shafts. They are not deep and not well defined. Once you have removed a wiper arm you have no chance to feel the grooves and line them up during reinstallation.

So word of
__________________
2022 Dutch Star 4369 FL Towing 2022 GMC Sierra 1500
Chris & Lee, Finnegan & Kirby (Double Doodled)
2020 Kountry Star 3709 towing Equinox.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 21,954
I will say that I have removed my passenger arm three times and reinstalled it. Twice for adjustment, once for a new windshield. The driver's side I've removed and reinstalled four times, including once to bend the arm for more load against the windshield. I use a Sharpie to mark a line on the arm and bolt and then gently work the arm back on when it's in the right-angle position. Then torque it to 70 pounds.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint, wind, windshield



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source for Wiper arms and blades woodosgood Newmar Owner's Forum 1 10-06-2021 04:49 PM
Wiper Blades - are they just standard blades? quebow03 Newmar Owner's Forum 17 04-20-2018 11:33 AM
Replacement Boots Below Wiper Arms ProjectPro Tiffin Owner's Forum 2 10-16-2017 10:28 PM
Wiper Arms and Blades edbulthuis MH-General Discussions & Problems 1 03-07-2013 01:41 PM
where to find wiper arms & blades ajbjrvers Newmar Owner's Forum 11 10-11-2010 07:51 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.