Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

Wiper Motor Replacement

Have new wiper motor on order for 2017 Mountain Aire. It looks like an easy swap out, but, are there issues I am not aware of? The motor comes in "parked" position so I am assuming that the blades must be in parked position for install. I was advised that the replacement can be "Tricky" whatever that means.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Lee
PamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamLee View Post
Have new wiper motor on order for 2017 Mountain Aire. It looks like an easy swap out, but, are there issues I am not aware of? The motor comes in "parked" position so I am assuming that the blades must be in parked position for install. I was advised that the replacement can be "Tricky" whatever that means.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Lee
I repaired my wiper motor a few months ago as it would no longer park. Pulling the motor out and reinstalling wasn't very difficult. I believe the worse part was accessing the four bolts that secures the motor to its bracket. You also have to maneuver the motor a bit to get it into and out of its mounted position.

Other than the four mounting bolts, there's the wire connector and the bolt securing the crank arm to the motor shaft.

I also had to replace the driver's side pivot shaft as the threads on the shaft were stripped such that I couldn't properly torque the wiper arm.

What's wrong with the existing motor such that you have to replace it?

If you don't already have it, here is the parts diagram for the wiper system on the 2018 MADP. I suspect the 2017 is the same. There is wiper kit number on a label on the motor. This diagram is for kit 136761, although it did not completely match my system.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/136761.pdf
Old 01-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #3

Wiper motor replace

Thanks Flyboy,
This is the second wiper motor replacement. Newmar did the first. So here are the symptoms: when wipers are turned on the blades move about three inches from "parked" and freeze. The blades then jerk but do not move or sweep. I know the motor is powered, but I suspect gearing in the motor is compromised. All the other components appear to be moving free/not binding.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found that thereís not much to the wiper motor. Below are pictures from when I pulled mine apart.

There is a total of 5 wires. Two go to the motor itself for low and hi speed. The other three go to the head of the motor where the park feature is controlled. You will see that the three wires have contacts on the underside of the cover which touch a disk (see other picture). You can see the three circles on the inner portion of the disk where the contacts make contact. It looks like the disk is design such that the inner and outer contacts loose continuity with the center one when the disk is in a specific position. This is what makes the park feature work.

You can also see in upper potion of the picture that the gasket wasnít installed correctly which potentially let water leak into the motor.

I realize you have already ordered a replacement motor, but I suspect it make take some time to get. My order of a pivot shaft and wiper arms took 2 months as the parts were coming from China and the ship was parked on the west coast waiting to be offloaded.

For my motor, the problem was that the contacts where not touch good enough. I bent them slightly to add some tension to them and also lightly sanded the ball on the end of the contacts. Unfortunately, one of the balls fell off. The motor still worked without the ball, but I opted to reassemble it correctly. The folks at Wiper Technologies was nice enough to send me an old motor cover which I replaced on my motor and all is good. Iíve used the wipers a few times during my 1K mile drive to SWFL a few weeks ago.

I also a have a document for testing the motor. Basically you provide power and/or jump various pins on the connector to test the motor at low and high speeds as well as the park feature. If you are going to attempt to fix the motor, I can send you the document to assist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9217.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	354815Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9218.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	354816
Old 01-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
From what you describe......before you remove the motor, I would hook a good-sized power and ground to the plug and see what happens. It could be a power/ground issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #6

Turns out it is not the wiper gear motor. The passenger side wiper linkage is jammed/ not sweeping. Not sure about the fix at this point, pretty involved.
I have disconnected the pax side wiper so at least I have wiper on driver side.
Ideas anyone?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did you remove the wiper arm or disconnect the linkage? If you removed the wiper arm, you may need to replace it before reassembling as the metal is very soft. You would definitely want to use a thin tool to clean the soft arm metal out of the pivot shaft grooves before reassembling.

What is jamming the linkage? Perhaps disconnect the linkage for the passenger side at the motor and attempt to freely move the linkage back and forth. A picture may be helpful.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:27 AM   #8

I did not remove wiper arm. I disconnected the linkage from the motor. I was able to manually move the driver's wiper linkage/ blade easily. Unable to move the pax side blade/ linkage more than 3 inches from parked. Removing the blade arm mechanism seems pretty involved and I really can't determine what's causing the jam.
Since I have driver side working, I'll try to drive on sunny days and let Newmar fix the linkage.

Tags
ace, motor, replace, replacement