Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #1

Angry Wipers Again

Returned from Ohio yesterday in the pouring rain, all day with no wipers again. Last august I had the wiper motor changed to the tune of $400.00 after having problems on and off since purchasing in Jan. of 07. In Sept. we traveled to Vermont no rain traveled to Florida in Jan. for two weeks no rain during drive time. Yesterday returning from Ohio rain all day wipers take a poop so we had to rainx twice and made it home 800 miles not fun. Today I called service center and told them the bad news appointment next wed. then called Newmar since service center had to purchase the motor thru Newmar who passed the buck by handing me of to Clevland Ignition the supplier who passes the buck back to Newmar who tells me parts are warr. 90 days, time used on motor 3-5 hrs. so your out of luck. I belive the MH industry burns our warr. with days not hrs. they take us for a ride and they walk away with the cash and a smile. WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST VENTING!!!
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seeing you own a DP can only ask if you have a plug coming off the motor. If there is all that rain you got may be in your plug which causes crazy actions with wipers and may short out motor power. Has happen to many with Workhorse chassis. Most of us will clean out plug with good contact spray and fill with dielectric grease to keep out future battles with the rain. I also tape the joint of plug and hang it up out of vent areas with a tie.
I would check and see because I think dealers like to change parts and over charge for the part that you could find allot cheaper somewhere else.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

My 2001 is a Gas job Ford and there is a plug in connection just back from the wiper motor which didn't look wet as I worked on it in the pouring rain but I will check it out.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check out this old thread, I'll explain if I can find a picture.

On my workhorse chassis had a lot of problems with rain water causing crazy wipers and air intake problems water into engine.
Before I installed a new CAI I solved the water problem by placing bulb tubing strips along the top of hood opening seam. It stop all water problems and the strip is still in same location to keep the wipers from going crazy. You can find the bulb strips at Auto Zone for about $15. If you place a strip at top of fiberglass hood opening I would say you will take care of wipers and possible water going into your air intake if you do not already have the Ford kit.

Ford Kit

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #5

I have had the same problem with my 2007 MACA 3991, and the wiper motor is hard wired, soldered, and shrink wrapped. I took the motor out and it bench tested great. Put it back in, torqued it down and 3 swipes into the next rain event, it couldn't return the wiper arms to the center position. I returned them manually, and 1 swipe later, the same thing. I've now driven many miles depending on Rain-X with my wiper arms sitting spread eagle across the windshield staring me straight in the eye and just taunting me to try it again! Surely there must be a fix for this problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Goodturn, your motor seems ok what maybe happening the tie bar between both wipers maybe binding to linkage from motor. Remove linkage adjust wiper's blade to center of windshield. See if you can by hand operate the blades back and forth.
You may have to wet windshield.
Return blades to middle of windshield and see how link to motor lines up. One of these components may have a bend and need a new one or build your own.

WIPER PROBLEM