Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Ok, so what does that have to do with automating of waste valves? And PowerMate Pro is no longer available? More words please.

https://logicbluetech.com/powermatepro/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #254

Quote:
Ok, so what does that have to do with automating of waste valves? And PowerMate Pro is no longer available? More words please.

If you scroll back through this thread you’ll get the info you need. it’s the Bluetooth module that controls the dump valves.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I had posted previously about my solution, which required building a custom circuit to control the barker, sanicon, and tank rinse.

The custom circuit I created works great, but I see no practical difference between what I created and the SONOFF using the MQTTT. The other component to my solution is the software interface with a graphic GUI.
Attachment 299178

This is designed to run on a php web server, and uses MQTT to get all data points.

My solution uses a Rasperri Pi to provide MQTT and the webserver, connected to my Peplink Wireless network in the coach.

I have 2 other coaches running my full hardware / software solution, but would like to try move away from my hardware circuits and go towards a solution with Sonoff.

Is there anyone interested in trying this on their sonoff setup? It would require that you have SONOFF with Tasmota firmware, wireless network internal (NOT campground wifi, but your own coach network), and reasonable knowledge of working with RasperyPi.

DISCLOSURE:

The webpage code is nothing fancy, and will be open sourced, so this is not a solicitation for commercial purposes.

If you are in the business of providing automation services for a fee...you will be required to change your business model in order to use this code, or to negotiate a commercial license. Please do not use this thread if you are in the commercial business.
Greetings! I'm willing and able to answer this call. I'd like to continue the great work you started with this. Did you ever post your code or work anywhere public?

Ben
Bunookana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #256

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am working on build 2.0.

Are you going to use sonoff? You can be the first to test v2.0, which I will post up in github for all to use if they want.

For those not familiar with github, this is how non commercial software can be easily distributed and maintained. The effort here is free and open.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:29 AM   #257

I do not have any sonoff yet, but I just completed the initial phase of the lithium/solar upgrade, and now I'm moving into monitoring and management of the systems. I'm running a PEPWAVE for internet and just deployed a PI with HomeAssistant (hassio). All that to say, I'm willing and ready to purchase whatever is needed to continue my journey.

I'd like to hook into the CAN bus and start automating/monitoring some of these systems. Looking to help and learn where I can. I'll PM you.

Ben
Bunookana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #258

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunookana View Post
I do not have any sonoff yet, but I just completed the initial phase of the lithium/solar upgrade, and now I'm moving into monitoring and management of the systems. I'm running a PEPWAVE for internet and just deployed a PI with HomeAssistant (hassio). All that to say, I'm willing and ready to purchase whatever is needed to continue my journey.

I'd like to hook into the CAN bus and start automating/monitoring some of these systems. Looking to help and learn where I can. I'll PM you.

Ben

The Ventana/Dutch Star lines do not have a CAN Bus pre-wired. It would be a lot of work to bring that system into place.

I found an alternate to the Sonoff design that Charlie posted. This is an esp32 based 4 relay:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09D3SWDJ6

This board supports BLE, WIFI, CAN, and has 4 relays. The input voltage is 12V, which is readily available in the wetbay. It would be wired the same way that Charlie did the SONOFF, and then work off any remote device you desire. For my purposes, the device would connect to an MQTTT server, and use the open source web front end that I developed.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #259

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For those of you that are using the Sonoff 4ch device to control your waste valves, have you experienced any issues with a valve opening or closing on its own? I’ve been experiencing this problem, mainly with the black valve opening on its own. This hasn’t been a problem per se, because the signal will only travel to the electric valves when the toggle switch is in the right position which it is only in when I’m physically connected to the site’s drain.

I read today that others have reported the problem with a relay activating on its own and it was being caused by 433 MHz interference. Today I erased the 433 MHz codes using the S5 button on the Sonoff board. So far so good. If this doesn’t work, there is another documented fix which entails desoldering a connection. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #260

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
For those of you that are using the Sonoff 4ch device to control your waste valves, have you experienced any issues with a valve opening or closing on its own? I’ve been experiencing this problem, mainly with the black valve opening on its own. This hasn’t been a problem per se, because the signal will only travel to the electric valves when the toggle switch is in the right position which it is only in when I’m physically connected to the site’s drain.

I read today that others have reported the problem with a relay activating on its own and it was being caused by 433 MHz interference. Today I erased the 433 MHz codes using the S5 button on the Sonoff board. So far so good. If this doesn’t work, there is another documented fix which entails desoldering a connection. Fingers crossed.
Not in this application, but I have had 433 interference with Sonoff. Your solution is the right one.

The 433 is used by a lot of things, including TPMS, door locks, etc. Lots of room for interference.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #261

Y, Sonoff RF: note - no encryption or pairing with the transmitter hardware. So its going to have issues with external RF influence. Not recommended for anything that needs to be solid.

Much better to use a smartphone via cell (or wifi) to an automation controller that is then Wifi to Tasmota relays.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #262

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Y, Sonoff RF: note - no encryption or pairing with the transmitter hardware. So its going to have issues with external RF influence. Not recommended for anything that needs to be solid.

Much better to use a smartphone via cell (or wifi) to an automation controller that is then Wifi to Tasmota relays.

I totally agree. I do not use the Sonoff RF (433 MHz) capability. Unfortunately it wasn’t disabled by default. I‘ve cleared the codes and may physically disable the RF chip.

My currently Smart coach capability is accessed via https. The controller then communicates via RV-C or VBUS via hardwire. The only WiFi capability is add-on devices such as the electric waste valves which is done via MQTT. MQTT is userid/password restricted and also supports SSL.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #263

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear you guys have had troubles. Ours ...knock on wood ... hasn't moved by spurious rf transmission to date. As always...I switch power off to the relays...so nothing gets sent to the valves during driving or storing. I only arm the relays when we are securely connected to a sanitary dump...so, if we do have a spurious trigger...it won't create a calamity...just dump my tank(s) prematurely.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:55 AM   #264

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well I’m happy to say that 5 days after clearing the codes there have been no activations due to RF interference. I have a syslog that records all activations. Previously there would be multiple activations per day.

When I designed my system I included a safety switch based on your design. I used a toggle switch rather than a key switch, but there a position for local, remote (automated), and off. It’s only in the remote position when the hose is connected to a drain, so there have been no issues, per se. The safety features have worked as design.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:19 AM   #265

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Sorry to hear you guys have had troubles. Ours ...knock on wood ... hasn't moved by spurious rf transmission to date. As always...I switch power off to the relays...so nothing gets sent to the valves during driving or storing. I only arm the relays when we are securely connected to a sanitary dump...so, if we do have a spurious trigger...it won't create a calamity...just dump my tank(s) prematurely.
I had the same problem with mine. But only on the black tank and it was only when I left it opened for any length of time. It would close automatically. So never a real issue and I didn't try to trace it down.

Being as we do not have the coach anymore it's a moot point but if the new owner calls me I can tell him there is a fix. I'm not clear as to what was done to the Sonoff to clear the faulty codes. Nor how to clear them.

Hope everyone on the list is well we are looking forward to getting our new house finished.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #266

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I'm not clear as to what was done to the Sonoff to clear the faulty codes. Nor how to clear them.

Here’s a picture of the Sonoff 4CH Pro circuit board. The S5 button is labeled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	358898

The instructions on the below site states “S5 is 433MHz code clearing button: To clear the 433MHz coding, please press and hold it until the 4 LEDs lit up green and off.”

https://wiki.iteadstudio.com/Sonoff_4CH_Pro

Tags
tank, valve