Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Wooden Ramps

I have wooden ramps that I used for my old coach that did not have a tag. The ramps supported the four dually tires. Getting ready to do oil change and lube on new to us coach and I am wondering what others do. Do you use ramps that support the dually tires and tag tires or just dually tires and let the tag tires hang unsupported? Thanks for your response.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tigerfan:
I was in the same situation as you when we upgraded to the DS. I made longer ramps that would support the outboard dually and the tag. I am not a fan of leaving the tag "hang".
Be safe under there.
Cheers,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My ramps are only 3 boards high, so about 6". If you think about it, you're jacks lift higher than that. I just use the ramps under the duals, but a do use one under each dual. Once up on the ramps, the tag still touches the ground and really doesn't hang in the air.

I know that with the tires on the ramps, even if the coach were aired down, I can fit under the coach (I don't use a creeper) and I'm a big guy. So now that the safety concerns are met, I leave the coach aired up as I do my service.

Look in your Freightliner or Spartan manual, there is a page with all the lube points on it. I removed that page and laminated it. I use it for reference so I don't miss some of the hidden zerk fittings, especially around the rear axle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Thanks to all who responded. I have some extra 2x12s in the pole barn so I think I will just make some longer ramps that will accommodate the duals and tag.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Newmar recently replaced the slideout motor assembly for the rear vanity which required removing the tag wheel on the passenger side. They put blocks under the rear jacks and lifted the rear end so that both tag and drive wheels were 6" off the ground. I forgot to take a picture.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #7

Hmmmmm....... I don't fit under the tag axle to grease the U-joints if I don't raise the tag the same as the drive axle. (everyone knows to pump grease into both fittings on each joint?) With the pumpkin and brake cans it's almost impossible to slide under from the front. I use a single layer of 4x12's under all 6 tires.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Newmar recently replaced the slideout motor assembly for the rear vanity which required removing the tag wheel on the passenger side. They put blocks under the rear jacks and lifted the rear end so that both tag and drive wheels were 6" off the ground. I forgot to take a picture.
I do that "all the time". I then put heavy jack stands under the chassis in case the jacks fail. Why the need for the picture?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My ramps are only 3 boards high, so about 6". If you think about it, you're jacks lift higher than that. I just use the ramps under the duals, but a do use one under each dual. Once up on the ramps, the tag still touches the ground and really doesn't hang in the air.

I know that with the tires on the ramps, even if the coach were aired down, I can fit under the coach (I don't use a creeper) and I'm a big guy. So now that the safety concerns are met, I leave the coach aired up as I do my service.

Look in your Freightliner or Spartan manual, there is a page with all the lube points on it. I removed that page and laminated it. I use it for reference so I don't miss some of the hidden zerk fittings, especially around the rear axle.

Thanks Don for the tip on the lube points page. Easy to miss one.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

These work great for me. I can get at everything pretty easy with it still aired up. Just changed the transmission filter and fluid, made the job easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	264426  
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #11

Now those are some ramps
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
These work great for me. I can get at everything pretty easy with it still aired up. Just changed the Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	264458transmission filter and fluid, made the job easy.

I made some ramps today that look pretty puny compared to yours.