Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Workings of heater in utility compartment

How and when does that little heater in the utility compartment (2015 DS) put out heat? Tech said "there it is" but no information on how it works. And will it heat enough to safe guard pipes and tanks in that area if night-time temps gets down into the mid 20's for a night or two. Days will be from 45-62 during this cold front (if we can believe the weatherman).

Had planned on leaving a drop cord light in that compartment but haven't figured out where to plug it in yet.

Not quite ready to winterize yet (not sure about the outcome of 97 year old MIL in nursing home in adjacent state for a while since she's having good days and very bad days) and plan on keeping coach temps around 60 during this time.

Am I taking a pipe freeze risk? I know we've camped in Colorado during September with night temps hitting the mid 20's with no problems.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The heater is controlled off a thermostat in the compartment. It is fixed at about 45F. You may need to search a bit for it. It is circular about the diameter of a nickel and maybe a 1/4" think. It has a small mount bracket on it, but is not mounted. It will be dangling somewhere behind the white panel. (going by memory on this, so hope I've described it right).

With your Oasis on, just dip the thermostat in a cold glass of water to ensure it is working.

That's how we tested mine during my delivery.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

I've seen that little nickel sized thingy and wondered what it was. No explanation about it during our walk-through by the tech. Does the Oasis have to be actually running and putting out heat inside the coach for this heater to work, or does the Oasis just have to be set on Furn?

Too bad we didn't get our $1,500 PDI fee's worth with more time and info from the tech. Maybe I wouldn't have to keep bothering everyone on the Forum with questions I probably should already know. But Thanks to everyone for leading me through this new adventure.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I've seen that little nickel sized thingy and wondered what it was. No explanation about it during our walk-through by the tech. Does the Oasis have to be actually running and putting out heat inside the coach for this heater to work, or does the Oasis just have to be set on Furn?
You do not need to be heating the inside, but of course have to have the oasis burner or electric elements on.

Quote:
Too bad we didn't get our $1,500 PDI fee's worth with more time and info from the tech. Maybe I wouldn't have to keep bothering everyone on the Forum with questions I probably should already know. But Thanks to everyone for leading me through this new adventure.
In my opinion, this is one of the principle functions of the forum - to help each other out
Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

The Oasis has 3 zones. Zone 1 is the front of the coach, Zone 3 is the rear of the coach and the water compartment is Zone 5. As long as the Oasis is turned on and either the burner or a/c (or both) is on the basement unit will automatically come on as you cannot turn that thermostat off. I have Zone 1 and Zone 3 set to 50 degrees and only use the a/c heaters but then I am heading to Florida next month so am not expecting to cope with really cold temperatures.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
So glad you asked this ?? I was just wondering myself. I figured the little disk was the temp sensor, on mine it is clamped to the water hose. The radiator is hot but have not heard the fan on yet. Getting cold freezing here so I will soon see what temp the bay stays at. I did winterize the other day just to be on the safe side. Hmmmm just checked 28 outside this morning ,the bay is at 40 but the radiator is not even warm, The heat is on in coach and at 60. Wondering what I did now.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #7

Suppose to reach 31 by morning so I'll see what temps do in the bay at that time. Is there a fan on that little heater or is it just kind of induction heat? Hope mine does better than 40 since by Sunday morning the forecast is for 22 and then nice for the next couple of weeks. Seems we always get an early hard freeze then it warms up until closer to Christmas.

The little nickel sized thingy on mine is clamped to the side of the compartment right in front of the water pump, if I'm looking at the right thingy.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Yes it has the little fans on the back side. Mine is working again ? why it had no hot water going through it is still a mystery to me , but it is hot again . I put an ice cube against sensor and fans came on bought temp up. Getting cold around here down to 6 Saturday they say.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #9

Perhaps the 2014 DSDP is different than the 2015 but the factory told me I have 2 zones. I have never heard of the disc and thought that the basement was heated when the furnace was on inside the coach. Is this something new or have I just missed it. I will be looking for the disc tomorrow!!!! My thermostat only shows 2 zones so if I have the basement heat separate from the coach heat, should I assume that the thermostat is irrelevant since the disc is in essence the thermostat? I have a tank heater button...is that something different? Wow, now I'm confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Jim
Old 11-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Perhaps the 2014 DSDP is different than the 2015 but the factory told me I have 2 zones. I have never heard of the disc and thought that the basement was heated when the furnace was on inside the coach. Is this something new or have I just missed it. I will be looking for the disc tomorrow!!!! My thermostat only shows 2 zones so if I have the basement heat separate from the coach heat, should I assume that the thermostat is irrelevant since the disc is in essence the thermostat? I have a tank heater button...is that something different? Wow, now I'm confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Jim
Do you have hydronic heat? On my 07, there is a small black knob in the wet bay, that controls the basement heat.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
This is the disk I am talking about. I put an ice cube on it and fans came on. Just figured out I have to have zone 2 heat set above 50 degrees to get hot water to radiators. All is well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448082168891.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	112451  
Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #12

The original question concerned the Oasis system. If your coach has a propane furnace then the previous comments do not apply. Read comment 5 for how the Oasis is set up.
BTW, you do not have to have Zone 1 or Zone 3 on to get heat in the basement. That thermostat will turn on the pump and circulate the coolant to the basement heater. And it is antifreeze being circulated, not plain water. Also you can run the Oasis system even if you have winterized and drained all the water from the tanks and water lines.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Jim
The 40 foot only has 2 zones. 43 footers have 3 zones.

If you look in you wet bay, above the pipe (behind the white board), you will see the heat exchanger.

Mine has no problem keeping the wet bay above 40 at well below zero. All sealed up, it may not even turn on at 20 degrees out. Insulated compartments are very nice.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #14

Thanks PDR. I have seen the wet bay heat exchanger but just not sure about the disc and independent operation since there is no 3rd zone on the thermostat. Perhaps the 40 foot dsdp doesn't operate the same as the 43 which is now my suspicion. Heading over to storage and looking for the disc. I think this is worth investigating since having an independent thermostat would be outstanding versus finding it necessary to heat the inside to get the wet bay warm. Thanks

Tags
heat, heater