Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Would a Dutch Star be pre-wired to accept inverter and remote?

We have recently become the parents of a 2002 Dutch Star. This is the first DP I've owned that came with a converter/charger instead of an inverter. I've contacted Newmar to ask but, as yet, have received no response. So, I'm wondering if I could do the work myself. Therefore, my first question is as follows: Would a Dutch Star of that generation have been wired to accept an inverter with remote as a direct replacement for the charger and converter.

We dry camp a lot and having an inverter is more of a necessity for us that the converter/charger situation which makes the assumption one will always be near a pedestal with 50-amp service.

That brings me to question two. If it could easily accept an inverter, would tapping in conquer the issue of isolating the AC units from the rest of the 110 service to the house?

I'd like an inverter with a genstart control and the ability to dial down to 20-amp when staying at the homes of "less fortunate" individuals. These capabilities seem to be present in the more modern units as is pure sine wave.

By the way, I've tried searching and found no particular reference to converter/charger replacement in a Newmar Star product.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bnsonger47,
Congrats on your new to you coach. The short answer to your first question is no. I have not seen this prewiring on any DS coach of that vintage.

Adding an inverter is always a challenge. Consider:
1. Having as many coach batteries that can fit in the tray (quantity and height).
2. Determine the circuits that will be on the inverter and run wire accordingly. If you want everything but the HVAC units, on the inverter, take a good look at the battery capacity you'll have and determine if that is a good idea.
3. From the inverter to the power source will be wired according to the instructions that come with the inverter.
4. As to the auto generator start, I have never done this. This may be a separate project from the inverter.
5. As to the remote control panel, consider going wireless. The fewer wires one must run the easier the project will be.
6. Inverters have their own breaker for the outbound power. This is around 30 AMPS. This example means all the circuits power by the inverter could draw a maximum of 30 AMPS. Take this into consideration when determining which circuits will be on the inverter.
Go to http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...lent_power.pdf for
help in choosing an inverter.
Go to Power Inverter, RV Inverter Charger | RV Power Products for a sample of an inverter.

Choosing which inverter to use will mean Googling "motor coach inverters" and reading about the feature of the different brands.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2, and the Newmar family.

I don't know all the changes that happened over the years , time line wise. Re , combination inverter/convertor/charger, my coach (99) was original equipped with only a 400 watt invertor for the TV plug only; and it was mounted in a remote, (from the power bay location).
If "007" doesn't find this post and respond soon I'll see if I can find the info your after. "007" is a fellow Newmar owner and a moderator here , and the #1 reference for all things Newmar.
And ; I see Gary types faster than I do ; everyone types faster than I do.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
I did call the Service Center inquiring about the possibility. The response was that if there is a certain wire present in the power bay then installation of an inverter would be straightforward. I fully understand splitting out the service from the inverter to the box in the bedroom. What I'm most curious about is if there is twisted pair wiring that was run from a bay to the panel up front. I mean, this coach was wired for a land line, exterior cable connection and satellite. It would have been just as easy to run twisted pair in the event the unit was to be configured with an inverter and remote. Oddly, however, the coach has a surge guard and the 50 ft of twisted pair to remote panel is all in the rear. What I don't know is if the surge guard was dealer installed or left the factory that way.

Thus far it is coming up on a month since I first contacted the Service Center on a quote to do the work. Apparently things are busy in Elkhart County this spring.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The Surge Guard was an aftermarket install by a previous owner.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter