Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Would you buy a Newmar with a full wall slide again?

At the Hershey we ordered a Dutchstar 4327. The DW loved the floor plan so we ordered it. But seeing people posting about problems with full wall slides has me rethinking the decision. Looking for opinions from others. What say you?
Lynch Mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lynch Mob,
Welcome to the Newmar forum. I do not have a full wall slide. However, if I was to get a new coach I have no problem with the full wall slide. The Star Foundation combined with the HWH slide, I would be very comfortable. For me the full wall slide would not make my worry list.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Be sure you follow the instructions to extend and retract, inspect the mechanism periodically and you should be fine. The electric ones seem to have more problems than the hydraulic ones do.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Lynch Mob,
Welcome to the Newmar forum. I do not have a full wall slide. However, if I was to get a new coach I have no problem with the full wall slide. The Star Foundation combined with the HWH slide, I would be very comfortable. For me the full wall slide would not make my worry list.
Gary, as a newbie to Newmar, the slide discussion is very confusing. After reading the literature and watching all the promotional stuff there was a suggestion that the Star Foundation on new coaches was going make a big difference in reliablity of FWS slide operation.

Has there been enough experience with the Star Foundation and FWS to confirm this position? Are the FWS slide problems detailed in all these posts associated with coaches made before the Star Foundation?
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Be sure you follow the instructions to extend and retract, inspect the mechanism periodically and you should be fine. The electric ones seem to have more problems than the hydraulic ones do.
Interesting comment.

Exactly how would you come to that conclusion? Considering that the vast majority of Newmar coaches in operation today are equipped with the electric actuated slides, what's the math that supports this?

Peter
Old 09-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Going on thee years with full wall and other than a bracket they needed to install (ours was an early unit) no problems whatever way I open it level or not. You'll be fine.

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Do some reading here on slide motor issues. The man asked for opinions, he's free to disregard any or all of them.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Do some reading here on slide motor issues. The man asked for opinions, he's free to disregard any or all of them.
Full walls are hydraulic now and that's what I'm talking about. Are there motor driven full walls now?
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi turbopilot,
You ask:
"Has there been enough experience with the Star Foundation and FWS to confirm this position? Are the FWS slide problems detailed in all these posts associated with coaches made before the Star Foundation?"

For this thread I do not care about pre Star Foundation or pre HWH slide. Refer to OP.

How do I know the answer to that? For me it is a ridiculous question to ask someone other than Newmar. What I can tell you is that I am a retired mechanical engineer. I have seen the Star Foundation (several) before the coach is built on it. I know how it works. I have seen the HWH slide put on the Star Foundation. I know how it works. I understand the capabilities of the Star Foundation and the HWH slide. The HWH slide can lift and move over one ton without breaking a sweat. It is my opinion Newmar has a winner.

You may like my opinion or not, I stand by it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Why not! Remember that the posts with negative comments about any particular problem represent a very small number to the total buyers. There will always be a few problem units in any production run, but the vast majority of the units will be just fine.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
It is my opinion Newmar has a winner.

You may like my opinion or not, I stand by it.
I like your opinion. It makes sense. Thanks.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

I was pretty nervous also and now I wouldn't think twicw about another one. We do not have the hydraulic slide, but we are on top if the star foundation. Love this coach.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch Mob View Post
At the Hershey we ordered a Dutchstar 4327. The DW loved the floor plan so we ordered it. But seeing people posting about problems with full wall slides has me rethinking the decision. Looking for opinions from others. What say you?
Congratulations on your new coach order! You chose a good floorplan, I believe it will be the “4369” of the future.

I had a 2017 4018 with the full wall for 10,000 miles without a hiccup. This new coach had one side come in faster than the other so that I had to crank it in with the threaded rod. I suppose I could have called for help but I’m a DIY guy. Took it back to the dealer (I’d only owned it two days) and they couldn’t find anything wrong. My guess is that an air bubble or some other oddity happened and I cleared it by cranking it in. I’ve had 0 problems since that one. When pushed out that FWS is really nice and I certainly wouldn’t hesitate a moment to order another one.

In fact I had an issue with the Electric kitchen slide in the 4018. It lost its “memory” and would go out but not in. Disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries solved that. Easy fix. There’s a battery disconnect switch on the passenger pedestal.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
For the amount of coach's on road with FWS's most people that have them would buy again.
Most threads on forum are people that have a problem there are many that do not.
Some of your answers by posters are of people that do not own Newmars.
As with these hi-line coach's there are instructions to operate all kinds of different options in them.
If people try to over look them trouble can arise and we are here to answer them.
A Newmar will have a bag with instructions for every item in coach.
You can look at brochures and owners guides by following the instruction in this link.
This thread will explain the difference between just basic slides and the FWS. If not followed this can be the result.
All the links below in my signature will show many answers for problems for old to new you may need.
This link will lead you to new Newmar products.
If you interested in older Newmars we have many answers for them also there are many older Newmars on the road because they stand up with time use.
Enjoy the forum, good luck with your new Newmar and safe travels.

2018 DSDP------ Owners Guide
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide