Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Wrong color awnings/toppers: fight Newmar on it or not?

Undoubtedly most of you have seen my thread about picking up my 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4018.

One of the big questions I posed was why the heck my slide-toppers and awnings are all brown on a coach with ZERO brown on the exterior. In fact, the coach is largely black and a charcoal grey.

It doesn't look atrocious, but it also doesn't look right IMHO.

I just heard back today that basically my coach was already "planned" and the materials had been ordered before my order went in. It was going to be one of the largely brown exterior colors originally, so they had the brown awning package already. I guess they just said "oh well, good enough" at Newmar rather than contacting Tom or myself and seeing if we wanted brown on a black coach.

I probably should have refused to take delivery on the coach... but honestly I was so excited and everything else was so great that I let myself believe there must be a better reason (like they don't do black awnings).

So, do I call Newmar and fight them to get replacements? We're talking HUGE money to replace them all, I'm sure.

Heck, I paid over $13k for this awning package alone, and it's not even the right color.

I'm a bit sick to my stomach right now...

-TJ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

Wow beautiful coach but honestly I don't think they look off at all. However if you insist I bet they will change them.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Wow beautiful coach but honestly I don't think they look off at all. However if you insist I bet they will change them.
Thank you. Like I said, they aren't horrible, but they do leave you scratching your head thinking "wait, why are they awnings brown...".

The dash plastic is brown as well, where most of my interior is all dark. I wonder if this coach would have had a black dash if it had "originally" been a Maritime coach?

I'm not actually sure I would want the black dash though. I don't have any great interior pics, but here is what I have:

-TJ
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Maybe ask the ones you gave you're hard earned $$ to...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

This is how the awnings should be based on every other Maritime coach I found on RVTrader...

-TJ
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Maybe ask the ones you gave you're hard earned $$ to...
I did, he's contacting Newmar as well.

-TJ
Old 07-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wrong color awnings/toppers: fight Newmar on it or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Undoubtedly most of you have seen my thread about picking up my 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4018.

One of the big questions I posed was why the heck my slide-toppers and awnings are all brown on a coach with ZERO brown on the exterior. In fact, the coach is largely black and a charcoal grey.

I just heard back today that basically my coach was already "planned" and the materials had been ordered before my order went in. It was going to be one of the largely brown exterior colors originally, so they had the brown awning package already. I guess they just said "oh well, good enough" at Newmar rather than contacting Tom or myself and seeing if we wanted brown on a black coach.

I probably should have refused to take delivery on the coach... but honestly I was so excited and everything else was so great that I let myself believe there must be a better reason (like they don't do black awnings).

So, do I call Newmar and fight them to get replacements? We're talking HUGE money to replace them all, I'm sure.

Heck, I paid over $13k for this awning package alone, and it's not even the right color.

-TJ

I would insist that they replace the awnings if they bug you. Look up Picts of other Maritime coaches, they seem to all have gray awnings.

As for the dash, it's hard to say. We have an all grey and black interior and our dash top is black but the front is brown.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

TJ,
I would have them change it. You will be looking at that a long time. Great coach by the way!
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Umm no, that isn't right. You selecting a stock color package should have included the awning shades that match the color selected.

I dont think its likely much money off their back as they can install them on another DS that they match. You on the other hand, paid a good chunk of changes to get the awning package in the first place.

That would personally bug me until no end. Out of curiosity, since you optioned those onto the coach, was there any color information on the order sheet?

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
-TJ
tjZ06
Are you saying you thought Newmar made a mistake and you bought the coach anyway?
(IMO after you own the coach is a little late to complain about an awning color you DIDN'T like before you bought the coach).
Sorry.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

-TJ
Did you change the original color you had ordered?????(Paint) Before production? and if you did, you forgot about the awning color and nobody you made the changes with thought of it either?
I did not even notice or think of the awning color when I looked at your other thread..........I think the work wonderful on your new Coach!!!!!! but your personal preference will be the judge......
One thing about it, yours will be different than all the rest that you will see!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
tjZ06
Are you saying you thought Newmar made a mistake and you bought the coach anyway?
(IMO after you own the coach is a little late to complain about an awning color you DIDN'T like before you bought the coach).
Sorry.
Yes, I took the coach. I don't know if you've ever walked in, cut a check for more than some houses, and bought a motorhome you've been waiting for for 3+ months... but it gets a little exciting. I thought I had been pretty exhaustive in checking everything out, making sure all of my options were on it, etc... but I missed putting the awnings out.

"Hey, I wonder if they put the wrong color awnings on my new RV!?!" was just not something that crossed my mind.

You're right, I "signed on the dotted line" so it's really on me if that is how Newmar wants to treat it. I love this coach and will be a lifelong Newmar owner if they treat me right here (I'm 34, so I hope to have many more after this one). Sure, I shouldn't have taken delivery of it (did you miss the part where I put that in my original post????), but Newmar should never have put brown awnings on a black coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Did you change the original color you had ordered?????(Paint) Before production? and if you did, you forgot about the awning color and nobody you made the changes with thought of it either?
No, I did not change the color I ordered. I ordered Maritime from day 1. However, in order to get me in my coach sooner I believe Newmar re-purposed a coach that was going to get built just for dealer stock, not a custom order. I have no idea what color it was going to be, other than to say it wouldn't have been Maritime since it was not offered for 2017 (hence the special ordered). FWIW awning color is NOT something you spec on the 2017 Newmar Dutch Star order sheet. I assumed awning color is always matched to paint color since there is NO PLACE TO SELECT AWNING COLOR when ordering.

One update: I have confirmed with Tom and looking at other RVs that my dash is correct for the Sedona interior. Besides, my girl likes it better anyway.

-TJ
Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I would have the awnings changed out that should never have happen
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

Beautiful coach...the brown awnings would bug me too...id try and get them changed out if possible
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, newmar