RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Xite dash radio, etc. etc. .....worth it?

As I play around with the 2019 Bay Star build sheets, I keep pausing over the Xite Dash Radio option. While I do want some GPS navigation, I'm thinking a Garmin might be a better deal. What else does the Xite add to the package? Do I have to have it in order to get Sirius? Or work with cameras?

Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
As I play around with the 2019 Bay Star build sheets, I keep pausing over the Xite Dash Radio option. While I do want some GPS navigation, I'm thinking a Garmin might be a better deal. What else does the Xite add to the package? Do I have to have it in order to get Sirius? Or work with cameras?

As far as cameras, only needed for the addition of 360 view cameras, not sure that is a BS option. I ordered it on my DS and also the 360 camera system. I have read many posts on this subject and a compelling argument to go for the Garmin, it comes down to this if your financing your motorhome and want your expenses all in one the Xite serves that purpose and works good. If your paying cash then it really doesnít matter, and going aftermarket probably is the better option. Hope this makes sense
Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I looked at the Xite radio when I order our DS. I was never a big fan of built-in GPS, a lot of the time they charge over $100 for the map upgrades. I went with the stock Sony radio and the Garmin RV770 GPS. I am planning on replacing the Sony with a Kenwood at some point, but for now the Sony is fine.

The other nice thing I like about a separate GPS is that when my wife is driving I can put the GPS in my lap and mess around with it.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have the Xite and also went with the Garmin 770 after using the GPS on the Xite a couple of times. I could never get the "Rand McNally Dock" software that you can download and use with the Xite GPS to work with my Mac laptop. I'm really happy with the Garmin.
Ventana303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
No, IMHO waste of money. These units are ďold schoolĒ GPS systems. Their market plan was to sell you a unit and milk you for updates. Garmin did this in the past and switched to life time map updates because people got wise to the scam. But, if you got money to burn Iím taking donations for my next coach.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Concur with others.

Donít spend the extra money on the Xite. I hear itís better than itís predecessor, the Clarion, but itís not as handy as a Garmin RV-770. And four to five years down the road, when Garmin has their next great unit, you can upgrade at reasonable costs versus a built in unit.

Your total cost for the stock Sony plus the Garmin will be much less than what Newmar wants for the Xite.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Concur with others.

Donít spend the extra money on the Xite. I hear itís better than itís predecessor, the Clarion, but itís not as handy as a Garmin RV-770. And four to five years down the road, when Garmin has their next great unit, you can upgrade at reasonable costs versus a built in unit.

Your total cost for the stock Sony plus the Garmin will be much less than what Newmar wants for the Xite.
I bought it purely so I could get the Omniew 360. Having had a 360 camera for the last 9 years (first in an '08 Infiniti and now in an Audi), I decided it was well worth the money to pay for the xite and 360 camera for the RV.

If not for the 360 camera, I would likely have just continued using my Garmin 770.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I bought it purely so I could get the Omniew 360. Having had a 360 camera for the last 9 years (first in an '08 Infiniti and now in an Audi), I decided it was well worth the money to pay for the xite and 360 camera for the RV.

If not for the 360 camera, I would likely have just continued using my Garmin 770.
I assume you can use both? Overview on all the time and Garmin for GPS.

When do you take delivery?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
I assume you can use both? Overview on all the time and Garmin for GPS.

When do you take delivery?
I'll have to see how the Rand McNally GPS is, since I'll now have it and if it seems OK, run it possibly as my NAV and then let the wife run the Garmin and use them to check each other. If I'm not happy with the Rand McNally, then I'll just get a mount for the Garmin like I do now and use the Xite just for the 360 camera and radio.

It was scheduled to go to chassis prep today, then of course there is the week long shutdown next week. Should be delivered to dealer in the first half of August.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio