Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Xite radio and a USB thumb drive?

Ok, I feel as though I am asking a stupid question here. On the menu of the Xite Radio there is a choice of using a USB port. I can't find where to access that at the radio and we tried the USB port in the console area but I assume that is just for charging. I am in the process of putting my cd collection on a thumb drive and would like to listen in the coach when driving. So is there a way of plugging that in and playing it through the radio?
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’ve not tried a thumb drive but I have connected an iPod and iPhone to the USB port. The radio recognizes both of them.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #3

The USB port on the dash IS the port you want.
When you transfer the music from your source to the thumb drive be sure to create separate folders and no more than 244 songs per folder.
Then you can listen to uninterrupted music all across the country.
opeltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

The folder thing is a good idea. I'll try that too, thanks.

I've transferred all my music from vinyl, CD's, cassettes, etc., to the computer. From there I can make other CD's or whatever the radios in our vehicles can use. A few years ago I copied about 1200 or so pieces of music to a thumb drive and I will say that sorting through all of that to find what you want while driving down the road is a nightmare. I think that would be the reason for separating it into folders.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
The folder thing is a good idea. I'll try that too, thanks.

I've transferred all my music from vinyl, CD's, cassettes, etc., to the computer. From there I can make other CD's or whatever the radios in our vehicles can use. A few years ago I copied about 1200 or so pieces of music to a thumb drive and I will say that sorting through all of that to find what you want is a nightmare. I think that would be the reason for separating it into folders.

Steve
I have about 4500 song in around 20 folders. If you use the shuffle feature you won't hear the same song for months.
Trying to find a particular song is a bit distracting while driving.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeltodd View Post
The USB port on the dash IS the port you want.
When you transfer the music from your source to the thumb drive be sure to create separate folders and no more than 244 songs per folder.
Then you can listen to uninterrupted music all across the country.
We tried that yesterday as far as the USB port goes. After I hit mode button on the Xite radio and all of the various icons show up I tried to choose the USB icon and it won't do anything at all. It is if that isn't a service the radio does even though it offers it. I will be back over by the coach this afternoon and I will try it again.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Hopefully your file format isn't Apple. I have used mp3 and wav formats.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeltodd View Post
Hopefully your file format isn't Apple. I have used mp3 and wav formats.
Yup, It's Apple... It has worked great in our Grand Cherokee and I was hoping for the same in the coach.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
My jeep only recognizes WMA. I use Nero media editor to create them copy to USB drive and now have around 450 songs stored on the jeep HDD. Don't think I can shuffle on the jeep, but the same songs are on my playlist on the laptop, so I can listen and shuffle on there. I did as one poster, copied all my CD's to the PC, and I can do anything I want to with those files. Old ears, so listening to them on the PC/headphones or in the jeep is fine, don't use the expensive stereo I got, with TOL speakers, it's all lost on my now.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
My jeep only recognizes WMA. I use Nero media editor to create them copy to USB drive and now have around 450 songs stored on the jeep HDD. Don't think I can shuffle on the jeep, but the same songs are on my playlist on the laptop, so I can listen and shuffle on there. I did as one poster, copied all my CD's to the PC, and I can do anything I want to with those files. Old ears, so listening to them on the PC/headphones or in the jeep is fine, don't use the expensive stereo I got, with TOL speakers, it's all lost on my now.
Mine has been very simple, just time consuming. I have been putting my cds onto my mac with iTunes. Then I have been copying them to my thumb drive by copy and paste. seems to be working so far in the jeep as of yesterday I had over 2000 songs on the drive and in the Jeep I can choose by album, song,artist, or genre and I can shuffle any of it.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

Update

I went to the coach today and fiddled with the radio and I got it to finally recognize the thumb drive. Although I am up to 4300+ songs on the drive and the radio picked 29 songs from 2 cd's and called that a folder. Not sure how to get it to recognize the rest of the music or at least let me pick which cd to listen to off of the drive.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure if it's covered, but Youtube has several (9) videos about this radio, although several years old, there might be some info on there.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
Not sure if it's covered, but Youtube has several (9) videos about this radio, although several years old, there might be some info on there.
Thank you, I will check them out in the morning.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #14

I don't know this particular radio, but the Sony that came with my coach did not recognize folders. I replaced that with a Pioneer that did recognize folders (albums) and that makes it much easier to find particular songs. You may have to copy your music to the USB in a form that your particular radio recognizes.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio