Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Xite Radio Problem - Need Some Help

As like many of you, my 2019 Newmar Ventana has the Xite radio. I'm having a problem with the radio powering on. I have read through the many posts regarding this issue and have turned off the power disconnect, and turned off the chassis batteries leaving them off for 3-5 minutes; then powering back up. The dang thing does nothing. I have looked at the 12 volt switch board under the driver's seat and saw two fuses; one labeled NAV and the other labeled NAV/BATT. I've looked at both fuses and they are not blown. I e-mailed support at the Xite facility in Indiana and they suggested checking the wiring harness for power and an in-line fuse that is located on the power line. How do I remove the radio or get access to the wiring harness for the radio? Not sure how to go about removing the dash panels for access; so would appreciate any help from someone who has done this before. Or better yet, is there some fuse that I've missed pulling that may fix the issue without removing the radio. Getting ready to leave Florida for home next week, so would like to get it working if possible. Thanks for any guidance, Gary
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Xite has a few different models and so some systems are double-din sized radios with 6” screens and some are modular with a 10” screen in the dash and a Core Unit in an upper cabinet in the driver’s area.

If you have the smaller screen the electronics and all connections are behind the screen. If you have the larger screen and Core Unit all of the electronics and connections are in the Core Unit in one of your upper cabinets.

If you have the Core Unit type you can remove the corner screws mounting unit in the cabinet and pull it out. Be aware there are dozens of wires and cables so be careful to pull it out slowly.

If you have the smaller all in dash system you remove it like any other dash radio with radio removal tools. If that’s the case you may want to take your RV to a car audio install shop were they deal with these things all the time. If that’s possible.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have to ask.....I don't have a Ventana, but on my 2019 DS there is a plastic panel above the radio that makes up part of the dash surface. That panel is just velcroed on and is removable. It reveals all of the radio connections.

Not what you want to hear, but I messed with that Xite radio for a couple of months and then tossed it. If I knew what a heap it was, I would have just opted for the stock radio. I replaced mine with a Kenwood.

I don't recall if they used an inline fuse behind the radio. At minimum you need to slide it out and make sure the plug is tight and look for a fuse.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks guys for the replies.
Creativepart - My radio is the one piece just in the dash. I'm not sure, but it looks like the black plastic piece that surrounds the A/C vent, Xite Radio, and the screen for the outside cameras could possibly be removed. I can lift one corner of that piece, but I'm a little apprehensive about pulling on it.

Dutch Star Don - The Ventana doesn't have that access panel. Why they couldn't have done that with the Ventana is beyond me. Like I said above, this black plastic panel appears like it should come off, but since we are getting ready to head home from Florida; I think I'll let it go until I get home. I agree with you. This radio has a lot to be desired. I have a separate Garmin RV890 because the Rand McNally unit was hard to see when driving. The unit isn't dependable because as you and others know, sometimes it turns on and others it doesn't. I'm just weird that if a piece of equipment is in the vehicle it should work. Like I said, I'll see what I can discover with removing it when I get home. Just not sure how to remove that black plastic piece.

Thank you both, Gary
Old 04-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I often fix something while on the road that could wait until I get home, but it makes me crazy to think something isn't working.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #6

My Xcite was suffering from the same issue. When the PDM recall was completed the issue ceased. It was one of the symptoms of a bad PDM.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #7

If your radio has the volume knob, pull it off and then put it back on. Don’t push it all the down it will bottom out and then it can’t power up the radio. That’s usually the issue. If I it is the small screen, remove the bezel and there are 4 screws to take it out of the sleeve.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks again guys for the replies.

Bobby: Is there any special way to remove the bezel? I assume you are talking about the black plastic going around the A/C Vent, Radio, Camera Screen and extending over to instrument cluster on 2019 Ventana.
Thanks, Gary
Old 04-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #9

I’m talking about the small black trim ring around the radio. Use a small screw driver or pick and carefully remove the ring. It’s just stuck on with clips.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #10

On our 2019 DS, I found the fuse F13 marked Radio on the back wall of the power bay.
I just pull the fuse, check it and replace.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Just so you know, a fuse can be bad without turning brown/black. You'd be surprised how many times I had people tell me that they had checked the fuses only to find them blown. I even had ones that looked OK that failed when I put the tester on them. I always check fuses for continuity before putting them in.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #12

This thread isn't current but just as an FYI, I lost power to the Xite unit in my 21 Baystar and wasn't able to restore it by cycling the salesman switch. It finally powered back up after I pulled & reinstalled the underdash fuse (fuse was good). Something else to try before pulling the unit from the dash. Maybe I just didn't leave the salesman switch off long enough.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:24 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
If your radio has the volume knob, pull it off and then put it back on. Don’t push it all the down it will bottom out and then it can’t power up the radio. That’s usually the issue. If I it is the small screen, remove the bezel and there are 4 screws to take it out of the sleeve.
Bobby is correct. So many owners have pushed the on/off volume knob until it’s firmly against the front radio panel which will then not allow the knob to depress any further to turn the unit on. Remove knob and lightly put it back on the radio. This could be your solution.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Bobby is correct. So many owners have pushed the on/off volume knob until it’s firmly against the front radio panel which will then not allow the knob to depress any further to turn the unit on. Remove knob and lightly put it back on the radio. This could be your solution.
Yeah, I had that problem when my Baystar was delivered. I just pried the knob up a little and found that it requires very little pressure to work once it can move freely...

<TED>

Tags
problem, radio