Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #1

Xite Radio Replacement Options

IRV2 Community,

I’m looking for a replacement for the Xite radio in my 2020 Dutch Star and I’m wondering if there are other options besides the Kenwood discussed in the linked thread that work with Apple CarPlay and the 360 camera. Not that the Kennwood doesn’t look like a good option but the thread is a year old and a lot can change in electronics over a short period.

My other question for those who’ve DIY the replacement, is it simply plug and play and fairly easy?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/xite-replacement-options-543522-3.html"]https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/xit...-543522-3.html[/URL]
Tilzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

As far as "built in" RV navigation, it's still only the Kenwood DNX775RVS that has Garmin RV. 7" screen.

As far as any radio that can run truck or rv navigation from a phone, there's a lot more options:

Kenwood DNR1007XR: 10" screen. Can run either Carplay/Android Auto. Can mirror Android phones for unsupported navigation apps. With 3 camera inputs.

Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX: 10" screen. Can run either Carplay/Android Auto. With 2 camera inputs.

Alpine Halo11 iLX-F511: 11" screen. Can run either Carplay/Android Auto. With 2 proprietary camera inputs and 1 standard adapter.

Sony XAV-9500ES: 10" screen. Can run either Carplay/Android Auto. With 3 camera inputs. Probably nicest sounding radio on market currently.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
You can always upgrade your core unit to one with CarPlay from Xite when they start selling them.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my Xite with the Kenwood unit, but I don't have the 360 cameras. It's not plug n play, but the wires do match up color for color.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I replaced my Xite with the Kenwood unit, but I don't have the 360 cameras. It's not plug n play, but the wires do match up color for color.
Hi Don, since you installed this Kenwood in your coach, did you have to purchase the Sirius module or did it just carry over? We currently have Sirius on the excite. I know that you have to register the radio with Sirius so they can authorize it. Just wondering if you had an answer. We have the excite and I’m tired of workarounds, wife doesn’t mind living with it, however, it definitely doesn’t measure up to what we paid for it. Newmar kind of locks you into it when you order certain options.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bruce
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Hi Don, since you installed this Kenwood in your coach, did you have to purchase the Sirius module or did it just carry over? We currently have Sirius on the excite. I know that you have to register the radio with Sirius so they can authorize it. Just wondering if you had an answer. We have the excite and I’m tired of workarounds, wife doesn’t mind living with it, however, it definitely doesn’t measure up to what we paid for it. Newmar kind of locks you into it when you order certain options.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bruce
If I recall, the Kenwood was XM ready, but the antenna connection was different than what Newmar had in place (XM module). I had to run a new antenna lead (from Kenwood) to the roof
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If I recall, the Kenwood was XM ready, but the antenna connection was different than what Newmar had in place (XM module). I had to run a new antenna lead (from Kenwood) to the roof
Thanks!

Bruce
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #8

I could be wrong on this but from my research on the Kenwoods with Garmin Nav do not come with perpetual maps. I have an older Garmin 760 and was excited that I would be able to eliminate another screen, but if I'm going to get dinged $99 every year vs. free perpetual maps on the dedicated device, I'll replace with a far less-expensive head-unit and stick with the 760.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radio, replace, replacement