Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #1

Xite replacement options

With the announcement from Newmar that the 2022ís will no longer utilize the Rand McNally GPS, and the fact that there hasnít been a map update for over a year, Iím interested in options.

I contacted RiverPark and theyíll sell me the new Xite unit, that supports the new navigational software for $1,090.00 plus shipping and tax. My current Xite is in our 2019 New Aire.

Before I seriously consider another Xite unit, I would like to look at other options.

Two criteria for us:
1. Good RV GPS
2. Has to support the 360 cameras on the New Aire

Any great recommendations and installs?

Chuck
KenneysSeeAm is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would like to know if there are any other changes to the Xite system besides switching to TomTom mapping. It is more modern? Is it faster? Do the camera's display better? Does it do Apple Car Play and Android Auto?

I looked at their website but not sure if what's there is the "new" system or not.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I removed the Xite from my 2019 DS and installed the Kenwood 994S, double din unit. It uses Garmin GPS. It has video inputs....you would have to check the specs to see if it will work with the 360 cameras.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

Just curious...

I find it hard to believe they had to switch over to all new hardware for the change of maps, a software issue...

Did they tell why they can't just change/upgrade your old software to the new software on your current Xite unit....??

I'm sure there would be a charge to clear the old software and then install new software. Plus you would have to send in your current unit for the upgrade... but it would HAVE to be cheaper than getting a brand new unit....
Old 06-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The Xite system is peculiar in that it's running on Windows Embedded OS. This was developed ages ago for ATMs and Kiosks. I don't think it's been updated in nearly a decade. In fact, it reached EOL (End of Life) in 2016 but has extended support until October of this year.

My guess and it's simply a guess that the new system is running on something much more common, such as Linux. And, our older Core Units can't run the OS.

Microsoft has replaced Windows Embedded with Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT is Internet of things). And maybe that's what the new system is running on. Either way, new hardware would be needed.

The Xite Core Unit is basically an old PC and we all know what you do with old PCs... you dump them and move on.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #6

Yes, I asked about a software update and new sim. Nope, they said I had to buy a new unit ☹️
Old 06-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What's wrong with the slightly older Xrite Rand McNally GPS system? Mines been reliable, rarely steers me wrong, and is fairly easy to use. Roads and POI hardly change. I'm not spending $1100 to change it out. My old Tom Tom was junk.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

I replaced mine with a Kenwood DMX 1037s Has Apple Carplay, a 10.1" screen and an easy install. I use a Garmin 1090 for routing as the rm system sucked.
The 360 Cameras still work and I can actually see them
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Like Winger2, I also replaced the Xite radio in my 2020 DS4369. The touchscreen died, and after several tech calls, software updates, and more, I gave up and installed the Kenwood DMX1037S. It was a fairly easy install, looks great, sounds way better, and is a big improvement with wireless apple car play. I didnít bother with a GPS Nav unit as I always use my iPad Pro for navigation anyway.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Like Winger2, I also replaced the Xite radio in my 2020 DS4369. The touchscreen died, and after several tech calls, software updates, and more, I gave up and installed the Kenwood DMX1037S. It was a fairly easy install, looks great, sounds way better, and is a big improvement with wireless apple car play. I didn’t bother with a GPS Nav unit as I always use my iPad Pro for navigation anyway.
To add, one of the other, many benefits is that we can run google/apple GPS and Waze on the Kenwood as back up, while my Garmin or your Ipad is set for gps. Its win win to me as the RM was horrible in my 19 Ventana and routed me the wrong way on the way home from the dealer on my 21.
If someone is in love with the RM its so new it still has the protector sheet on the face.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #11

Update from RiverPark this morning.

Question - what are the differences in the new 2022 Xite and current models.

“ The main difference is the NavNGo software, it is now built in and not SD card based. There will be wireless updates for your navigation instead of taking a card to a computer to do them. Other than that from a functionality standpoint it would work the same as the system in your coach today.”

Hmmmm. Lots to think about.

Chuck
Old 07-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For me personally, I gave the Xite radio a chance, especially since I paid an extra $2K for the POS. It kept freezing, couldn't back out of the settings without shutting it off. I gave up and removed it in the first few months.

To me, it was another bonehead thing that Newmar did. They will use a KNOWN product with a good track record and then to save a few dollars, switch to an off brand, with issues. A prime example was the Intellitec latching water pump switch. A perfectly good product, but Newmar found some off brand that no one had heard of (probably $3.00 cheaper). Mine failed in the first six months and I replaced it with an Intellitec model. No more issues.

Sorry for the rant.....I'm still pissed off at what I paid as an upcharge for that Xite radio. I know some love it, but not me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dutch Star Don and others, I don't know if I've ever seen this mentioned on IRV2's Newmar forum before, perhaps I just missed it.

But Newmar sent out a Technical Service Bulletin about the Xite infotainment system problems.

Is everyone aware of this? I've followed this topic closely since I have the system in my Winnebago - but I don't remember ever seeing this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 3.22.45 PM.png
Views:	49
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	334338  
Old 07-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's an idea - but it would cost $130 to test out...

There is a brand of car stereo/gps called Stinger and they make a 10.1 inch in-dash system. It even seems to have a separate head unit like the Xite. Anyway it doesn't come with the GPS SD card (they use iGo just like the new Xite) and you have to purchase it separately. But that's just it. You can buy the SD card with the iGo software and maps on it for $129.

I'd love to buy it and test it in the Xite and see if it could work. Of course, that's a pretty long shot and I'm sure once opened it couldn't be returned.

Here's some details of the full Stinger system and the SD Card:

Stinger HEIGH10 UN1810 Infotainment system - 10.1" display
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541UN1...10-UN1810.html

SD Card link:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541SEP...er-SE-P14.html

Tags
ace, replace, replacement