Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

01 34 FDDS ABS pump running

I had an issue pop up on my 01 34 FDDS. When I shut the engine off the ABS pump continues to run. I ended up shutting off my chassis battery switch in the rear service bay to get it to stop running down the battery. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue and what the fix was. It seems like the pump shuts off when you start the engine from what I can hear. Any help would be appreciated.
SDAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #2

I’ve not run into your specific chassis, but after working on the brake pedal linkage of our Workhorse chassis last week I noted that when the linkage was loosened up so that I could install a grease zerk the ABS pump started running. It will also run with the ignition off and I just step on the brake pedal. Not sure if it will run the battery down or if it times out - I suspect it would run until the battery was dead.

Make sure your brake pedal is full up.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAlpine View Post
I had an issue pop up on my 01 34 FDDS. When I shut the engine off the ABS pump continues to run.

Are you referring to the electric hydra boost for and attached to the master cylinder or actually a part of the ABS system??

If the former, have you confirmed fluid level in the reservoir? How old are the filters?
Old 05-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Insure your brake pedal linkage is not binding up. It is normal for the hydraulic emergency pump to run with engine off and brake pedal depressed. An easy way to tell is if the brake lights are staying on.
Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #5

ABS pump, not sure what that is? ...or are we talking the hydro-boost aux. brake pedal pressure pump on the master cylinder?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:32 PM   #6

I guess I had the wrong part name. I believe it is the hydro boost aux pump that you hear when you push the brakes without the engine running. I did notice my brake lights seemed to be on when running. I did have the brakes flushed a few months back but haven’t checked the fluid level since picking it up from service. I was also thinking maybe the brake switch may need to be adjusted? I did see a switch that was underneath by the master cylinder?
SDAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:08 AM   #7

manual - http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/Bo...r%20Manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flow switch.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	365843   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro max writ.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	365844  

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAlpine View Post
I guess I had the wrong part name. I believe it is the hydro boost aux pump that you hear when you push the brakes without the engine running. I did notice my brake lights seemed to be on when running. I did have the brakes flushed a few months back but haven’t checked the fluid level since picking it up from service. I was also thinking maybe the brake switch may need to be adjusted? I did see a switch that was underneath by the master cylinder?

There are two fluids involved with braking:

Brake fluid-- basically the same as any hydraulic brake system.

Hydraulic fluid (can be ATF or hydraulic fluid-- different fluids used over the years). There is a reservoir at the back of the coach. It supplies Power Steering and the hydroboost cylinder that gives power brakes the "power". The electric assist you hear is a fail safe to provide "power assist" in the event the hydraulic system fails.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #9

Dont have a first - hand knowledge of how the hydro-boost is activated. My 2003 had a number of fuses, relays and diodes in the wheel well. By 2005, the master cylinder was moved to the front firewall and Vansco was in play. Do know some Vansco coaches had issue with the hydro-boost mis-wired so they didn't run if ignition wasn't on--but that is not your issue. Likewise, hydro-boost shouldn't engage if engine is running, and hydraulic pressure is normal????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #10

By looking at the diagram Andy posted the trigger would engage the pump if it is out of adjustment and seeing as he had some brake work done I would look that direction
Old 05-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #11

Was out in our coach today and checked the ABS pump operation - sure enough, key off, stepped on brake, ABS pump ran.

Not the same chassis as the OP but very likely functionally operates the same. Would expect the computer knows if engine is running and there is likely a pressure sensor to determine if the hydro-boost is functional. If not, then computer tells ABS pump to run - ABS pump is a backup to hydro-boost. No hydro-boost pressure, then ABS pump runs.

So I doubt the ABS pump is running when the engine is running unless the computer isn’t seeing hydro pressure. But it does run as a fail-safe - and if the brake switch is mis-adjusted then the pump will run when the engine isn’t running.

And FWIW - some brake switches are 2 pole, 1 pole for the brake lights, another for cruise, and maybe a some combination of those to tell the ABS pump to run (I think my Jeep Wrangler is 3 pole).

Tags
abs, pump