Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #15

The master cylinder “issue” has to do with the size of the OG cylinder causing leg pressure to stop to seem excessive and difficulty holding the coach, when stopped. The fix is to install a slightly smaller diameter MC. Personally, I’ve never found this to be a problem, but that’s just me.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The master cylinder “issue” has to do with the size of the OG cylinder causing leg pressure to stop to seem excessive and difficulty holding the coach, when stopped. The fix is to install a slightly smaller diameter MC. Personally, I’ve never found this to be a problem, but that’s just me.
I just finished reading on that issue. I could see where this would be more of a personal preference. When I drive the unit I'll be able to tell if I need to do something about it.

If I did want to change it. Does anyone have an update on the correct master cylinder? I seen in some of the newer post that the Wagner isn't available anymore.
smp440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
I just finished reading on that issue. I could see where this would be more of a personal preference. When I drive the unit I'll be able to tell if I need to do something about it.

If I did want to change it. Does anyone have an update on the correct master cylinder? I seen in some of the newer post that the Wagner isn't available anymore.
Just remember, the simple fact the brakes are hydraulic disc will make the pressure seem excessive compared to air brakes. If you’ve never driven an Alpine before and only have experience with air brakes on large vehicles, you will need much more “leg” anyway. It really comes down to whether or not it is fatiguing or uncomfortable for you.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #18

I am the original owner of an “04” 34 footer with a 400 engine. I have been vary lucky with mine. Almost completely trouble free. Just normal things with the coach like 3 water pumps for the house. Incorrect radiator cap, 8 lb from the factory. Should have been 16-18 lb. just little things. Seems the 04’s have been pretty solid. Still have the oem radiator. No problem with exhaust manifold. Couple of times I’ve lost engine power but learned it was a clogged fuel filter. Now I carry a spare filter and a half gallon of fuel to prime it even though some here will tell me not to. One thing I would look at is the caulking around the front cap and along the side walls at the roof line. It’s a maintenance thing but a little pricey. I have seen pictures of some coaches engine bays that were quite dirty and sings of rust. That can be from where the owner lives but also lack of maintenance.
All and all, if your comfortable with what you see, you will love the coach. A lot of natural light inside, well insulated.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Investigate the type of coolant in it and if it is still the original type that uses SCA (supplemental coolant additives) then you would want to find out if the previous owners have kept up on maintaining it. ISL is a wet sleeve engine that could get destroyed sleeves if the coolant is bad and run like that for and extended period.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #20

Think Mule Skinner did a very good job of summing up his experience with the typical 2004 Alpine....Periodic maintenance is key to the service life of any coach--clean fuel, clean air and clean oil are essential. Lift pump replacement for the CAPS engine is an emerging issue to address--usual symptom is a fuel leak at back of engine[toward front of coach][eliminated with the newer Pegasus engine common rail system in 2005]. Frequent brake fluid flush/replacement is also key. Mixed feelings on coolant--most all new coolant is "extended life." Other than contamination or a severe leak where water vs coolant is used to top off the level....modern coolant should last almost indefinitely in a MH,, whether its SCA or OATs. Cylinder pitting is a corrosive action caused by coolant cavitation--suspect it would take many miles over many years to occur. Again, IMHO, 2000-2003 where some the most stable coaches WRV built--I tend to include 2004 in that category too. Good luck with your adventure.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #21

Well I went and looked at it today. I forgot to check if its the CAPS or Common Rail. But it has a whole slew of problems. Most of it is mechanical and I could get past, if price was right.

The thing that's got me a bit scared at the moment is, delamination. It has many spots along the bottom of the exterior side wall where it meets the molding that divides the wall from the compartment doors. They are about baseball & softball size and on both sides of the MH. There are a few spots below windows or other seals that have it the size of a Frisbee. It doesn't look too bad at this time (Only noticeable from the right angle).

I wonder if this is a big problem and if it will spread and/or how fast if it does?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #22

Run away from this

Why should you fix the owners problems. You want to camp and not be able to use this RV as you are constantly doing repairs. Keep looking for something without delamination.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #23

...don't walk--run away....water intrusion on the belt line and below the windows likely means the sub-flooring is also impacted....too many good coaches out there to take a chance on this one!!!!!!
PS--can you say mold?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #24

Without seeing the delam, it's hard to determine, in this specific case, if this is a coach you should even consider. Generally, delam issues beyond a single, isolated spot, are a deal breaker for most people, especially those who are not DIY inclined.

From what you describe, that coach had several spots of water intrusion that were not addressed in time. The spots above the belt line typically come from water seeping into the screw holes that hold the bracket that the belt molding is attached to. Also, the screws that hold the compartment door hinges are entry points as well. There is a seal between the hinge and the body that is supposed to keep water out, but over time that seal can come loose and water can enter. Under a window, the seal around the frame likely failed.

Old Scout brings up a good point about the floor. If you still consider this coach, inspect the floor very carefully in the areas of the delam, particularly under the window or slider.

My coach had a delam right under the refrigerator cover. It came from a broken ice maker line that soaked the floor under the refrigerator. Bottom line, I knew what caused it, knew that it was repaired, and the flooring was easily accessible and sound. I knew about it when I inspected the coach and it is something that I can live with or may even fix, if I get ambitious.

Bottom line, that many delamination areas would make me suspect about the care and maintenance of the coach. They can all be fixed, but do you want that task and at what cost? If you are still considering the coach, I would offer a significant discount in price for what you describe, unless the price is already rock-bottom.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Without seeing the delam, it's hard to determine, in this specific case, if this is a coach you should even consider. Generally, delam issues beyond a single, isolated spot, are a deal breaker for most people, especially those who are not DIY inclined.

From what you describe, that coach had several spots of water intrusion that were not addressed in time. The spots above the belt line typically come from water seeping into the screw holes that hold the bracket that the belt molding is attached to. Also, the screws that hold the compartment door hinges are entry points as well. There is a seal between the hinge and the body that is supposed to keep water out, but over time that seal can come loose and water can enter. Under a window, the seal around the frame likely failed.

Old Scout brings up a good point about the floor. If you still consider this coach, inspect the floor very carefully in the areas of the delam, particularly under the window or slider.

My coach had a delam right under the refrigerator cover. It came from a broken ice maker line that soaked the floor under the refrigerator. Bottom line, I knew what caused it, knew that it was repaired, and the flooring was easily accessible and sound. I knew about it when I inspected the coach and it is something that I can live with or may even fix, if I get ambitious.

Bottom line, that many delamination areas would make me suspect about the care and maintenance of the coach. They can all be fixed, but do you want that task and at what cost? If you are still considering the coach, I would offer a significant discount in price for what you describe, unless the price is already rock-bottom.
Thanks for the replies guys.

This is the LINK for the coach. Its at PPL Houston. If definitely has not been taken care of to my standards.

I'm very handy as a shade tree mechanic (owned my own shop at one point years ago) and a carpenter. I would be working on it to fix a lot of things. I don't mind working on things to give me something to do. But I don't want something that's always going to be breaking down do to lack of maintenance.

The paint is clean and very shiny. That doesn't help with the delam. and all the other things that have been neglected. IE: Brake pedal goes to floor and very spongy, growling in steering when turning the steering wheel (like low fluid) several water leak issues (drains and Fresh water), carpet in bedroom where it meets bath room is stained really bad (can't tell if its from water or other fluids), slides were problematic at first then started to work, front campartment for Genny. didn't want to close without some help... And more...

What a shame to let such a nice coach go down hill like this...
Old 02-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #26

I just read something that didn't occur to me.

The article said if the bulge is hard and doesn't move when pressing on it, then if may be normal bulging from frame movement not delam... If this is true then most of the stuff along the belt line would be considered this (mostly 2-3" vertical stiff ripples). The rippling affect at the belt line was mostly hard. And under the camp side picture window had the same thing vertically from window to belt line. Then there were only a couple of soft spots (true delam.)

Hmm any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
I just read something that didn't occur to me.

The article said if the bulge is hard and doesn't move when pressing on it, then if may be normal bulging from frame movement not delam... If this is true then most of the stuff along the belt line would be considered this (mostly 2-3" vertical stiff ripples). The rippling affect at the belt line was mostly hard. And under the camp side picture window had the same thing vertically from window to belt line. Then there were only a couple of soft spots (true delam.)

Hmm any thoughts?
Hard bulges are typically from corrosion of the metal framing for the side panel. Steel frames form rust which is rock hard but can only be fixed by cutting away the panel, rusted metal, and repairing. Aluminum framing, which Alpine uses, can corrode as well, but I've not heard of the issue as much in aluminum framing. In either case, the corrosion/rust will continue but at a very slow pace, especially if the moisture intrusion has been stopped, and that is the key--where did the moisture originate and has it been fixed?

Given what you've posted, I would reconsider this coach unless you can get an incredibly good deal and are will to tackle not just the issues you see, but those unseen as well. It doesn't sound like it has been well cared for.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #28

It is possible to see where the “wall studs” are located, from a certain angle, in the right light, but it isn’t obvious. Also of note, the 38’ model that you’re looking at is the only Alpine Coach that has the kitchen located in the passenger/patio side. Don’t know if that matters to you or not.

The most common area for delamination are the curved edges of the roof. Typically not a problem unless the bubble develops a crack.

What were some of the slew of mechanical issues that you noticed?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase