Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #1

04 Alpine purchase Concerns???

I'm Looking at an 04 Alpine coach. Just wondering if I should be concerned about it having Multiplex? Or any other issues I should be concerned with or look into specifically?

Thanks Mike
smp440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
I'm Looking at an 04 Alpine coach. Just wondering if I should be concerned about it having Multiplex? Or any other issues I should be concerned with or look into specifically?

Thanks Mike
Here are a few things to check out on an 04.

The engine could have the CAPS fuel injection or the newer Common Rail. CAPS has some quirks but is a solid system as long as the lift pump is sound or a pressure pump is fitted instead. Not a deal breaker. That was a transition year. Again, it may or may not have an EGR valve, depending on the build year of the engine.

The exhaust manifold was prone to cracking. Easy fix and to check, but something to ask about. The engine could be a 350 hp ISC, or the optional 400 hp ISL which is preferred, IMO. The ISL has the two stage engine brake.

The multiplex, Vansco, can be an issue, but failures are rare in 04 models, though they do happen. The units are now in their final production run, on special order for Alpine owners. After this batch, no more will be made. It still may be possible to get in on a unit if you decide to buy, and act fast.

The steering gear bracket is subject to metal fatigue due to the redesign in 04. Easy fix available, if needed, but something to check.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

The engine could have the CAPS fuel injection or the newer Common Rail. CAPS has some quirks but is a solid system as long as the lift pump is sound or a pressure pump is fitted instead. Not a deal breaker. That was a transition year. Again, it may or may not have an EGR valve, depending on the build year of the engine.

The exhaust manifold was prone to cracking. Easy fix and to check, but something to ask about. The engine could be a 350 hp ISC, or the optional 400 hp ISL which is preferred, IMO. The ISL has the two stage engine brake.

The multiplex, Vansco, can be an issue, but failures are rare in 04 models, though they do happen. The units are now in their final production run, on special order for Alpine owners. After this batch, no more will be made. It still may be possible to get in on a unit if you decide to buy, and act fast.

The steering gear bracket is subject to metal fatigue due to the redesign in 04. Easy fix available, if needed, but something to check.
Is the Egr (if equipped) on top of the head on the exhaust side as is the 6.7 in the ram?

Thanks for the input.
I welcome all input

Thanks to all
Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

Agree with the post, except that the 400 hp ISL was standard in '04. It was optional in '03, and everyone got it, so it was made the standard in '04.

I am the original owner of an '04, and no complaints. 138K miles and counting. Never had a problem with the Vansco, but I did just order a spare as they are being discontinued as noted. (As with most parts, carry a spare and you will never need it!)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the input Jim.

Still looking for more info from the forum.

I'm also doing research on the web. I found a place that says they can rebuild the Vansco 2820 VMM units. The company is called Industrial Electronic Repair. They are located in NC. Has anyone ever heard of them before? Has anyone ever heard info (good or bad) on getting the units rebuilt?

Also still looking for other info as to what I may want to look into during my walk through of the unit. We're probably going to go look at it tomorrow.

I've read that some units have radiator and CAC problems. Is this one of those that could be problematic?

Thanks Again
Old 02-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

To my knowledge, IER has been unsuccessful in reprogramming a VMM for an Alpine Coach.

Things to look for:
Steering bracket upgrade.
Master cylinder upgrade.
Koni or Road King shocks. Koni 88s are an improvement over the OEM Bilsteins, as are RKs. The newer Koni 99s, front only, reportedly offer greater improvements in ride quality and handling.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

Things to look for:
Steering bracket upgrade.
Master cylinder upgrade.
Koni or Road King shocks. Koni 88s are an improvement over the OEM Bilsteins, as are RKs. The newer Koni 99s, front only, reportedly offer greater improvements in ride quality and handling.

A good list.

But, IMO, used to determine price, not rule a coach in or out. Said another way, they are easily accomplished-- just $$.

And agree on the Koni 99 series-- excellent.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

Road King still in business?
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
A good list.

But, IMO, used to determine price, not rule a coach in or out. Said another way, they are easily accomplished-- just $$.

And agree on the Koni 99 series-- excellent.
Sure, you could rebuild a rotted carcass if you were willing to throw enough money at it.

The OP asked specifically for things to look for on a 2004 Alpine. Do you have any thing to add?
Old 02-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Road King still in business?
King Shocks is still in business in Gardena, Ca and can rebuild Road King shocks if needed.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Sure, you could rebuild a rotted carcass if you were willing to throw enough money at it.

The OP asked specifically for things to look for on a 2004 Alpine. Do you have any thing to add?

YES,

In the scheme of things, these are NOISE LEVEL from a $$$ perspective. You made excellent points, but in today's market if you eliminate a coach for easily changed/upgraded things..............
Old 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
YES,

In the scheme of things, these are NOISE LEVEL from a $$$ perspective. You made excellent points, but in today's market if you eliminate a coach for easily changed/upgraded things..............
Where did I, or the OP, say anything about eliminating a coach for any of the listed items? Theyre just a couple of coach specific items to be aware of.

The master cylinder upgrade may be considered of value to some buyers and if the seller is a dealer they may be unaware of the upgrade. Same would apply to the steering bracket. If its installed, its a bonus. If not, and the bracket is cracked, its a negotiating point.

Im sure the OP would appreciate hearing about any other items to look for that may be specific to Alpines.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
Thanks for the input Jim.

Still looking for more info from the forum.

I'm also doing research on the web. I found a place that says they can rebuild the Vansco 2820 VMM units. The company is called Industrial Electronic Repair. They are located in NC. Has anyone ever heard of them before? Has anyone ever heard info (good or bad) on getting the units rebuilt?

Also still looking for other info as to what I may want to look into during my walk through of the unit. We're probably going to go look at it tomorrow.

I've read that some units have radiator and CAC problems. Is this one of those that could be problematic?

Thanks Again
I am not familiar with that company. But I will say that one of our members, EngineerMike, has had some success at reprogramming used/rebuilt Vansco units. However, he has had problems reprogramming a used unit to work on an '04 coach for some reason. But success with other years.

The radiator issue started with later coaches due to a change in the radiator design, and did not affect most '04's to my knowledge.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #14

Thanks to all for the input.

I hadn't heard anything about the brake master cylinder yet. I'll read up on the link some more.

The person that answered the phone at Industrial Electronic Repair seemed to be knowledgeable with the 2820. When I mentioned it and the Alpine coach, she said yeah they quite making them (the 2820). I then asked have they rebuilt them, she replied yes and gave me a NORMAL price range is $250-$500.

I will call them back tomorrow to clarify if they have had success with the 2820.
She did say If they repair my unit (when/if ever needed) that it wouldn't effect the programming.

Wolf10 and Kid gloves- I think y'all are both saying the same thing, just in different ways. It's all good. I'll look at those to use as negotiation if we get to that point.

I'll answer my own question about the EGR and cooler. It looks like its on the top of the intake on the ISL. But it also looks like they didn't start with that on the ISL until 2007. I'll check for it when I go look at the unit.

Jim A- I seen where EngineerMike is VERY knowledgeable with the Vansco stuff. I reached out via a PM earlier today. Waiting to hear back...

Again I appreciate all the help.

Tags
purchase