Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #1

While we were on the road the last 70 days we connected into 30 amp shore power twice. We ran only one air conditioner / heat pump as needed to not over do the shore power supply. We had some supply problems anyway (heating up a poor shore pole receptical plus melting some rubber of the bone on the hot leg and a weak breaker at the pole). Ultimately, the two interior coach 120V outlets on the wall above the stove, the one above the kitchen sink, and the outlet in the basement the vacuum cleaner now do not work even when connected to 50 amp shore power or with the inverter on without shore power. I have re-set the breakers in the bathroom. Is there a re-set I need to learn about? Do I look for connection problems at the Xantrex? Thank you for any suggestions you can offer and your time with resolving this issue of this outstanding coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

While we were on the road the last 70 days we connected into 30 amp shore power twice. We ran only one air conditioner / heat pump as needed to not over do the shore power supply. We had some supply problems anyway (heating up a poor shore pole receptical plus melting some rubber of the bone on the hot leg and a weak breaker at the pole). Ultimately, the two interior coach 120V outlets on the wall above the stove, the one above the kitchen sink, and the outlet in the basement the vacuum cleaner now do not work even when connected to 50 amp shore power or with the inverter on without shore power. I have re-set the breakers in the bathroom. Is there a re-set I need to learn about? Do I look for connection problems at the Xantrex? Thank you for any suggestions you can offer and your time with resolving this issue of this outstanding coach.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
If you've checked the circuit breakers, it's most likely a GFCI outlet that's tripped and needs to be reset. The outlet locations you've mentioned sound like those that would be on a GFCI-protected circuit.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You might have a problem with the inverter. The inverter is connected to a few120 volt outlets not all of them. If the inverter is not operating properly than you will not get power to some of the 120 volt outlets. A circuit board in the inverter may have been damaged and not transferring the power to the outlets. You might want to have the inverter looked at.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #5

Rusty may be on track with the GFCIs but if this doesnt help--here are a few other ideas: While on 30 amp shore power, yr 30amp "dogbone" splits a total of 30 amps across both circuits in yr coach (15 amps per side). [on the other hand, 50 amp shore power provides 50 amps to each circuit [100 amps total]--a BIG difference.

In addition, yr Zantrex inverter has a "bypass" function that further divides one of yr coach circuits [while on shore power--all the plug-ins act the same but on inverter, only a few will work].
30 amps of shore power seems like a lot until you run one A/C or heat pump[12-20 amps], yr hot water heater is on [10 amps], yr inveter is recharging house batteries [10 amps], and you then pop on the microwave, coffee pot or hair dryer. If the 30 amp plug-in is already in bad shape[loose internal prongs]--things will get hot.

Three options on the plugs with no power--1] breaker box (check both the gray and black panels); 2]reset the GFCI plugs; or 3]yr inverter is gone out/internal fuse blown [this is possible even on shore power due to the inverter bypass function.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #6

RustyJC, Dave Fernandez (met you at the ACA-Albuquerque Balloon Fest 07 with us shopping for an Alpine Coach), and Old Scout, thank you for your input.

Dave & Old Scout, you may be right in that I need to get our coach in for service and we have a curcuit board problem with our inverter. I have reset both gray and black breakers in the restroom, none of the 120v receptical outlets that are out are GFCI that I can reset. Is there a major GFCI trip somewhere else in the coach I can reset?

If there is not a major GFCI reset, how do I go about changing the fuse in the Freedom 458 Inverter?? The Xantex owner's manual I am studing indicates there are "Branch Cirucit Breakers (20 amp & 15 amp)" on the front of the inverter and can be reset. (This could be my fix??) There is also a reset for the inverter in an ON/OFF push-button switch if the unit went in a fault condition (which may have been what happened??)

Before I set up a service call to a RV repair center, I would like to attempt to reset the breakers on the inverter, reset the inverter with the ON/OFF button, and if neither of these work, change the fuse to see if I can reactivate / repair the 120v circuit! Has anyone changed this interanal fuse before and can give details where / how to go about this task??
Will inform if reseting the Zantrex Freedon 458 Branch Circuit Breakers or resetting the inverter because of a fault condition using the ON/OFF button reactivates the 120v circuit!!
Continued thanks for your time and input!! It has all been most helpful!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #7

I just had my inverter repaired because one of the relays on the AC board failed. In my case the batteries wouldn't charge, the shore power or generator AC would not pass through the converter to the outlets but the inverter did supply power to the dead outlets.

I do know that if your remote panel for the inverter shows you have AC power the fuse on the AC board is OK.

If you have all of these symptoms then you may also have a dead relay on the AC board. The shop that made the repairs on my unit only swapped out the bad board for a new one. I did request the bad board back and I'm going to replace the relay so I'll have a spare.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #8

Mystery solved!! The GFCI receptacle outlet at the bath laboratory and every receptacle downstream on the same branch circuit provides overload and short circuit protection. Once this GFCI receptacle at the bath laboratory was reset, the downstream outlets in the patio/basement (where the vacuum cleaner is plugged), the overhead galley receptacle, and the two galley receptacles on the wall above the stove all are working. I learned what I needed to know. Hoping this lesson I have learned will be of some assistance to other Alpine Coach owners if this GFCI trips. Again, thanks RustyJC, Dave Fernandez, and Old Scout for your input and being part of the process in helping me identify the solution.
Best Regards, J.R. Guinn
Old 09-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I had the same problem with my 2001 Alpine. The bathroom GFI would trip for no apparent reason. GFI's seem to become weak the more they are tripped and/or tested. I would suggest you go buy a top quailty one and also get the type that has the little green light. At a glance this way you don't need to test, as the green light will be on when the power is on to the GFI and also downstream. I bought two and keep one in my electrical box.
Dan