Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 12:19 AM   #1

1998/1999 Alpines with 8.3 Mechanical engine

I copied this post from the Alpine Register thread.

I am trying to determine which model years have the 8.3 mechanical engine and the King Controls KC 2600 Electronic Throttle Control. I believe all 1998's had this set up. And possibly some 1999's

[QUOTE=Greg Lusk It's a 1999, Cummins 8.3

Greg,
Welcome to the Alpine world. You have bought a great coach!

Can you verify that your engine is the Cummins 8.3 mechanical (no engine ECU) vs the 8.3 ISC that was introduced by Cummins at about 1998/1999?

If it is the mechanical engine, do you have the King Controls KC2600 Electronic Throttle Control?

Any other 1998/1999 Alpine owners out there that have the Cummins 8.3 mechanical engine and the KC2600 Electronic Throttle Control?

Thanks for your info.
Red Bluff, Ca.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Gene,
8.3 Mechanical with the King Control Electronic throttle control is what I have.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #3

Gene,
8.3 Mechanical with the King Control Electronic throttle control is what I have.

Scott
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Cummins Mechanical

I too have the mechanical engine with King throttle. Several years ago I had the King repaired by a referral from King (now only doing video stuff) If you need me to look up in my old files I’ll try. Don’t know if company still around. I am original owner…185,000 miles.
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

[QUOTE=George Weiss;. Several years ago I had the King repaired by a referral from King

George,
Thanks for the offer, but no need to search your records. I have been in contact with Steve Boler several times over the years; as recently as November 1 when my King Control failed. Steve has closed down his business due to lack of repair parts. He has shut down his website.

So now, the only solution for a failed KC 2600 is to replace the unit with an air, hydraulic, or cable throttle system.
The KC 2600 was installed in about 6000 mid 1990's motorhomes including 1998 and 1999 Alpines.

I am collecting parts to convert to an air throttle.
Parts are expensive, some are scarce and very hard to find. In the meantime I am using a 40 ft length of parachute cord, small pulley, carabiners, 4 ft section of 1/2 inch Pex to operate the throttle. It works surprisingly well.

Two owners in Texas with failed KC 2600's have developed a kit including brackets and instructions for converting to an air throttle.

If you know any other Alpine, Monaco, Foretravel, or Country Coach owners who have the King Controls 2600 they should be alerted before they have a failure.

I will be posting their information in the Alpine Owners Association Library if I can figure out how.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks Gene:

Appreciate the mention.

If we can assist anyone, here to help.
Happy New Year.

Tags
1999, engine, mechanic