Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:57 AM   #1

2000 Alpine 40 FDS - Needs Lots Of Work - Any Words Of Advice:

Just bought a 2000 Alpine 40FDS, and have several major issues to fix before i can start enjoying my coach. Any knowledge about any aspects of this work that any of you would like to offer would be appreciated.

1) Both the Generator Slide (front), and the Living Room Slide are leaking fluid from the hydraulic cylinders (total of 4 hydraulic cylinders), must be re-built/replaced.
Pretty sure the Generator Slide must be completely removed to get to the back end of these cylinders to get them out/in. Any knowledge of this would be appreciated.
Same thing with the Main Slide, but across the body. Big problem here is the slide is inoperable, and I need to slide it out a bit to get wrench on the drivers side of the rams to detach them. Any ideas on how to get this slide moved out a few feet?
Also any ideas on having these rams rebuilt vs replaced?
2) Power Steering Box is Leaking fluid, and must be removed, to be rebuilt/replaced.
Problem getting the box out, because it is so tight working space, and tried getting a Pittman Arm Puller to detach the steering arm, but no luck.
Any ideas?
3) Generator has quit running. It was running fine for about a week, when I 1st bought it, and was running it every day, but shut it down and let it sit for three days, and now nothing happens when you try to start it. Batteries are hot, fuel tanks full, and I cannot find any reason it will not start. It is blinking 3 times which means it needs service, but not even trying to start. Starter is not engaging at all. I suspect the starter is out, but not even making any noise like it is trying to start. There is power going to the starter, but no power to engage starter when start button is pushed. Does it have some kind of electrical shut-down that I can reset? Hate to pull the starter if there is another problem. Ideas?
Thanks for reading, Will
New Guy Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy Will View Post
Just bought a 2000 Alpine 40FDS, and have several major issues to fix before i can start enjoying my coach. Any knowledge about any aspects of this work that any of you would like to offer would be appreciated.

1) Both the Generator Slide (front), and the Living Room Slide are leaking fluid from the hydraulic cylinders (total of 4 hydraulic cylinders), must be re-built/replaced.
Pretty sure the Generator Slide must be completely removed to get to the back end of these cylinders to get them out/in. Any knowledge of this would be appreciated.
Same thing with the Main Slide, but across the body. Big problem here is the slide is inoperable, and I need to slide it out a bit to get wrench on the drivers side of the rams to detach them. Any ideas on how to get this slide moved out a few feet?
Also any ideas on having these rams rebuilt vs replaced?
2) Power Steering Box is Leaking fluid, and must be removed, to be rebuilt/replaced.
Problem getting the box out, because it is so tight working space, and tried getting a Pittman Arm Puller to detach the steering arm, but no luck.
Any ideas?
3) Generator has quit running. It was running fine for about a week, when I 1st bought it, and was running it every day, but shut it down and let it sit for three days, and now nothing happens when you try to start it. Batteries are hot, fuel tanks full, and I cannot find any reason it will not start. It is blinking 3 times which means it needs service, but not even trying to start. Starter is not engaging at all. I suspect the starter is out, but not even making any noise like it is trying to start. There is power going to the starter, but no power to engage starter when start button is pushed. Does it have some kind of electrical shut-down that I can reset? Hate to pull the starter if there is another problem. Ideas?
Thanks for reading, Will
Hi Will,

I just purchased a 2003 and going through similar issues with living room slide with leaking cylinders. My generator slide is electric so can't speak to that issue. I am not sure, but I suspect that your coach uses the same cylinders as mine, HWH AP15324 for the large slide. Unfortunately, I have had no luck in finding new or used cylinders. I have some ordered through an HWH dealer in Texas, but HWH is predicting delivery in early 2022. I have mine removed and have sent them just yesterday to a hydraulics guy in the Fort Worth area to see if he can rebuild them. I have not heard back from him and am hopeful, but I could not see any way to disassemble the cylinders to rebuild them. I have heard of using a lathe to cut one of the ends off the cylinder and welding back after replacing o-rings and seals, but they were jack cylinders and not slide cylinders.

This is how I was able to access the road side ends of the cylinders:

To access the road side ends of the cylinders to disconnect the ram, you will need to extend the slide room about 12-15" to expose a slot in the square steel tube that is attached to the external frame of the slide out. Each slide has an extend and retract solenoid valve attached to two different manifold in the hydraulics compartment. You will need to manually open the valves per the attached HWH Manual to release any pressure on the cylinders. You may need to follow hoses to find the correct valves for the LR slide. After you have opened the valves you should be able to manually push the slide room out with some help...maybe a lot of help. If you can get it pushed out an inch or so, you can use a pry bar on the lower corner areas with a block of wood to avoid damage to paint. There is solid structure behind the fiberglas on those corners. Alternating between the front and back lower corners until you have it out enough to reach under the lower fascia where you will find a couple of short (4-5")lengths of steel square tube running front to rear. I used a tow strap through these two steel tubes and used a lawn tractor to pull the slide out slowly until the slots in the inner tube of the slide mechanism were exposed. After cylinders are removed, you can use the emergency retract winch to retract the slide. Since I knew i would need to drive the coach, I left the winch attached under tension and also cut some 2x4s to put between the slide fascia and the wall on each end..belt and suspenders

Of course all of this is assuming your slide out works the same as mine.

I really can't address items 2 and 3.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml13997-610 Manual.pdf (395.9 KB, 13 views)
JBB-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #3

Great work Joe!! You answered a lot of my questions. Much appreciated!! I'll be working on this and let you know how it comes out . And also if I find any new or rebuilt cylinders for sale , will let you know . Will
Old 09-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Your best source for HWH parts is Stuartís Services at HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services. Iíve never heard of any rebuilt parts for HWH but maybe theyíre out there.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #5

Thanks again Joe, was able to remove those cylinders on LR Slide today.
We disconnected the hydraulic lines to them, to allow us to push slide out to full extension. Once pressure was released, we were able to push the slide open from inside by muscling it out a few inches at a time on each end until we got it extended.
Then disconnected nuts on cylinder from end of extended slide, and pulled cylinders out from the other end. They were both those same HWH AP15342 Cylinders. Will take them to a local hydraulic shop on Monday to see if we can get them rebuilt.
Tomorrow going to try same procedure on Generator Slide Cylinders.
Really appreciated you giving us the information to get this done.
Thanks, Will
Old 09-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

Will,
Glad it worked out for you. I'm expecting my rebuilt cylinders back from the hydraulic guy tomorrow. Hopefully your local guy can rebuild yours. If not, let me know and I'll get you contact info for the local guy here. I am working this through a diesel mechanic friend of mine and don't have contact info for the hydraulic guy, but I'm sure I will when it's time to pay him.😊
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #7

Was going to post a picture my mechanic, and the hydraulic arm after we pulled it out yesterday, but can't figure out how to post a picture from my darn phone. Please let me know how your rebuilt cylinder comes out, because from what you told me it's very hard to find one new oh, so I'm going to go and try to find a hydraulic shop to rebuild mine. Thanks, will
Old 09-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #8

When I had an Alpine the biggest and most expensive issue was the Bosh disc brakes. The problem is that the piston in the caliper is a phenolic plastic that is hydroscopic which means that the slightly expose end of the piston grows in diameter. If you do a hard braking stop the caliper locks on the rotor causes major issues that are quite expensive.
GSMcDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMcDowell View Post
When I had an Alpine the biggest and most expensive issue was the Bosh disc brakes. The problem is that the piston in the caliper is a phenolic plastic that is hydroscopic which means that the slightly expose end of the piston grows in diameter. If you do a hard braking stop the caliper locks on the rotor causes major issues that are quite expensive.

What year was your Alpine.

There were two VERY different disk brake systems used over the years. Early ones had two piston/floating caliper brakes.

Later ones had 4 piston fixed caliper brakes. This is what our 2003 had-- no issues. As with any hydraulic brake system, change brake fluid every couple of years as routine maintenance.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Was going to post a picture my mechanic, and the hydraulic arm after we pulled it out yesterday, but can't figure out how to post a picture from my darn phone. Please let me know how your rebuilt cylinder comes out, because from what you told me it's very hard to find one new oh, so I'm going to go and try to find a hydraulic shop to rebuild mine. Thanks, will
Will, I am still working with my slide out problem. In case you haven't found anyone to rebuild them, I had mine rebuilt by P&W Quality Machine, Inc. in Cedar Hill, TX https://www.pwmachine.com for about $200/ea. Part of their expertise is manufacturing hydraulic cylinders. I installed them last weekend and had trouble getting them to synchronize, but I think it was my fault. Ran low on hydraulic fluid and pushed air into the system. I was concerned that maybe we had damaged the cylinders, so sent them back to P&W for them to verify operation and check for any leaks. I got them back Tuesday and plan to reinstall this weekend if weather permits. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml39247-Synchronizing Procedure.pdf (59.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Will,

The rebuilt cylinders worked out fine so far. LR/Galley slide out is working perfectly now. If you haven't found someone to rebuild your cylinders, you may want to contact P&W. Maybe you could ship them to them if you need them to rebuild.

Tags
advice