Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

2001 36 foot

Heading out tomorrow to look at a 2001 2 slide 330 HP ISC
unit with 31K miles. Newer tires (at least not original). Needs new house batteries. No window fogging according to salesman. Looks clean in pictures. Asking price seems reasonable and my offer will be even more reasonable (for me). It's on consignment so the lot gets something. Wondering if I should pay particular attention to anything. Any deal would be contingent upon a professional inspection with my participation. I have been perusing this section of the site and the only thing I've seen other than window fogging seems to be the steering box bracket along with the WRV electrical connection issues that seem to crop up and cracked exhaust manifolds and turbo inlet ducts which seem to be isolated to the 400 ISL. As a former USAF aircraft Electrician I'm not that concerned with Electrical issues. I'm one who tends to fix my own stuff although the Engine and tranny in this thing I would leave to professionals. One thing I would be interested in is any pictures anyone has of the broken exhaust manifolds and cracked turbo inlet ducts if they also pertain to the 330 ISC just so I know where to look.

Appreciate any help. Really super site.

2005 GMC 2500 Duramax, Crew, SLT
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #2

rramjet,

Go to the technical information section of the Alpine Coach Association web site to find two really helpful checklists before buying:
http://www.alpinecoachassociation.com/moretech/PDI.pdf
http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...eCheckList.pdf

The cracked exhaust manifold and turbo do apply to the 2001 Alpine Coach with the Cummins ISC engine. After just over 5 years on my previous 2001 Alpine Coach, I experienced both problems. Fortunately, Cummins repaired both problems under warranty, although it was a few months beyond the 5 year limit. I don't have any photos, but I would recommend that you have it checked out at a Cummins dealer before buying.

Good luck,
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks Dale. Checklists will be real helpful.

John

2005 GMC 2500 Duramax, Crew, SLT
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

John and Gail,

If you have ever driven a diesel pusher, you will probably be able to hear the manifold leak while driving rather than see it. When mine cracked (a few months out of warranty) I could hear a whistling sound under acceleration, any time there is more exhaust flowing through the system. I could tell something was not right, although I didn't know it was a cracked manifold. But then again I had driven it for years and knew the normal sound.

Even if cracked and not under any warranty, it is far less to fix (at most places) than a set of new tires all the way around. Definitely check the date codes, especially the inside duals. Some have been known to put the oldest ones on the inside out of easy view.

I would also pay attention to the generator. Those can be expensive to repair. Make sure it starts and runs under load without overheating. I had a circuit board replaced under warranty that would have been close to $1000 if not.

31K is barely broken in. I have nearly twice that on an '04.

Have fun looking!!! And good luck.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #5

2001 rig is prior to the more serious steering box fatigue cracking, and 31k is pretty young for the 01 era weld cracks (generally start getting serious ~75k). Sounds like electrical terminations are up your alley, tho I suspect the 01 won't have those, or if it did that they cropped up and were fixed.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
rramjet,

I don't know if the ISC 330 has a Cummins Data Port or not. But before we bought our ISL 400 we had a Cummins qualified technician hook up his laptop and retrieve the (roughly) 25 page report that'll tell you tons about that engine ( and Allison Trans in our case) and if and when it has exceeded any parameters and by how far. I've always felt that this was money well spent.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
There was a brake problem and a campaign to fix it. Hope you have the previous owners' records to check for that - and to be sure the ground fuse was upgraded (I think the original fuse was about 200A and if it blew you had NOTHING - no brakes, no power steering, etc.)
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Some of us with 2001s are having problems with the brakes. I personally am having pretty serious brake sticking on the left rear. See the Workhorse site for the Bosch Brake issues which I believe apply to our year although our caliper is a bit larger. Certainly want to have the brake fluid system flushed completely before hitting the road.