Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #57

The e-mail address is sent..

Thanks..Stan....
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Stan - Check the local credit union in your area, they will beat that interest rate I would bet. That sounds way too high in the current market for an RV loan. I think if you call mine, they would even beat it. I am paying 5.49, and I have seen car loans (yeah different bread of cat) for 1.9%, so before you put down the ink pin check on better rates. Brakes most likely the ABS Sensor has worked its way out of the grommet on one of the front wheels, simple little fix to push it back into the hole. Mine comes out all the time, and if I wait long enough it goes back in on its own.

The A/C is a different matter, going to assume it's an ACME Compressor, they are Out of business, so if the compressor is shot, don't rightly know if another brand will work. If it needs refrigerant make sure they also add the proper amount of compressor oil in as well. The best way would be to totally drain the system, vacuum it down and hold it down for 4 hours, then refill with the correct amount of Freon and oil, which will be on the data plate of the compressor. If they won't do that the correct way, don't buy it from them, or get a better price since the A/C repair could cost 1-2K in labor to have it done correctly. That number might be high, but better safe than sorry.

Stan - I would like a 40 Ford Pickup Truck send me a PM so we can discuss where to get one which is still stock please.

Jim A - Thank you, I hope you do. Even the little lady today says she likes our alpine better than any other motorhomes we have seen and we went looking today and last evening for her brother and another friend who is looking. Nothing comes close to the alpine. Plus and it's taken me a while to appreciate it, things and the way they work on it, just make sense like where they are, etc as well. Not to say that some of it could not be improved on, but for the most part it is laid out very well.

I mised this post Monty...between e-mails I guess.

The compressor looks very similar to a Sanden when I glanced at it...so maybe a replacement wouldn't be that hard. I can fix it...but want the dealer to do it so I don't have too. I've got plenty to do already..

When done right ...does teh A/C work very good on these diesel coach dash a/c's. I know my gas rigs blow snowballs...I assume the same is possible on a pusher?

40 Ford subject e-mailed soon..

Stan...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #59

I believe the SmartWheel could be "cut-in" to the system of relays, but it may depend on whether the cruise control is fully electronic thru the ECM. If yes, the control module for the SM simply relays the info into the CAN network twisted pair and the engine computer reads the signal. If the CC is a separate control to a separate mechanical control, then the addition would have significant challenges in remaking the communication. You can have any Cummins-software-equipped shop read the ECM's programming and tell you if the CC is contained w/in the ECM w/signal from some CAN input.

The step cover could be added; its all analog, and stand alone. You'd have to do some fabrication, the step cover/recess under floor would be an effort, and I would be impressed.

My guess is the coach was a transition period rig, so some of the new stuff made it on and some wasn't fully hatched yet, so wasn't included.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I believe the SmartWheel could be "cut-in" to the system of relays, but it may depend on whether the cruise control is fully electronic thru the ECM. If yes, the control module for the SM simply relays the info into the CAN network twisted pair and the engine computer reads the signal. If the CC is a separate control to a separate mechanical control, then the addition would have significant challenges in remaking the communication. You can have any Cummins-software-equipped shop read the ECM's programming and tell you if the CC is contained w/in the ECM w/signal from some CAN input.

The step cover could be added; its all analog, and stand alone. You'd have to do some fabrication, the step cover/recess under floor would be an effort, and I would be impressed.

My guess is the coach was a transition period rig, so some of the new stuff made it on and some wasn't fully hatched yet, so wasn't included.

Thanks for the info Engineer Mike..

Sounds like you've been around this stuff a while.

One other question..is there some place that I can buy a smart wheel...if it can be wired in.

Best regards..Stan
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
I have a 34' '01. It has Dayton brakes, which are 4-piston calipers so there's no sticking issue. When bleeding them (to avoid "honey") you'll probably have to pull the wheels to get the outer pistons. We've had no troubles with our brakes and they stop the coach just fine.

After rereading ths post..I was wondering if all 2001 models have Dayton brakes. ..Or do 40' models have something else..( Meritor ..spelling?, I think)

Thanks..Stan
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #62

Here's one link to the Smart Wheel:

RV Tech Library - Smart Wheel

A place to start anyway.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Here's one link to the Smart Wheel:

RV Tech Library - Smart Wheel

A place to start anyway.

Thank you very much.

The reasident Smart Wheel guru ( Dan Klugiewitz) is out for a couple of days...but the wheel and the controller cost $405. If it's the one we think it is.

Whether of not it can be installed remains to be seen..

Thanks again ..Stan
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #64

I was told that the Good Sam Club offers bumper to bumper repair insurance on RV's...

I Googled the site and didn't see anything specific to that. Does anyone know about this with Good Sam or other source? Perhaps some cost factors, or any general information.

Is it worth while..?

Thanks..Stan.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #65

Alpine Owners Club
Stan ... you're now discussing the purchase of an "Extended Warranty" for your coach.

The "RV Warranty" selection on the left hand side of the Good Sam web site will result in you obtaining a guote for the insurance. Or, join the Good Sam Club and you'l get bombarded with mailings with offers for everything they sell.

The topic of Extended Warranties has been covered thoroughly on this web site. Do a search on "Extended Warranties" or go to the post "Extended warranty or not?" for a pretty good discussion.

I have not purchased one choosing instead to "self insure". Any insurance policy you purchase is offerred by a company intending to make a profit. These policies can represent "peace of mind" for the insured and therefore worth the cost to the owner. Just make sure you use a reliable company (not all that easy as you'll read in posts!?).
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #66

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

The new Smart Wheel is showing up on new coaches. Works the same, looks a bit sleeker. This would be a nice project. I really like the fact this chassis (Peak) is a great platform for further updates and upgrades. Also since they were very similar for the 11 years of production, you can keep yours looking like a newer model.

Your new Smart Wheel would look like a 2011 model.

The adjustable pedals didn't come out until 2004-2005 and have received numerous complaints on this site. I had to get used to driving a bit closer to the wheel than I generally like, but now I don't even notice. With the large steering wheel, I now have additional leverage.

As some on the forum have mentioned, "I'm glad to have a pre-Vansco, pre-adjustable pedals, pre-steering bracket-issue coach." You may, too.

I'm not sure about the whole Dayton brakes thing. I was under the impression the early brakes were all Bosch, sliding-pin-type calipers, which had sticking problems before WRV went with the four piston Meritors. Of course, my impressions are occasionally stilted.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #67

I haven't had a chance to look into it further...in fact just got the coach home about 6:30 this evening. I think that the wheel needed may be influenced by the wiring ...I'm not sure a controller that is compatable with the older wiring would be compatable with the newer steering wheels. I know they offer several different controllers. Do you know..?

I don't know if a spacer could be installed between the accelerator mounting pad and the firewall to move the assembly out a couple of inches. I haven't had a chance to look at it very closely...if that could be done it would be much more comfortable (to me at least).

Thanks ..Stan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Stan:

The new Smart Wheel is showing up on new coaches. Works the same, looks a bit sleeker. This would be a nice project. I really like the fact this chassis (Peak) is a great platform for further updates and upgrades. Also since they were very similar for the 11 years of production, you can keep yours looking like a newer model.

Your new Smart Wheel would look like a 2011 model.

The adjustable pedals didn't come out until 2004-2005 and have received numerous complaints on this site. I had to get used to driving a bit closer to the wheel than I generally like, but now I don't even notice. With the large steering wheel, I now have additional leverage.

As some on the forum have mentioned, "I'm glad to have a pre-Vansco, pre-adjustable pedals, pre-steering bracket-issue coach." You may, too.

I'm not sure about the whole Dayton brakes thing. I was under the impression the early brakes were all Bosch, sliding-pin-type calipers, which had sticking problems before WRV went with the four piston Meritors. Of course, my impressions are occasionally stilted.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #68

Alpine Owners Club
The Smart Wheel thing will take a little research, but they are very common and very popular. Many highline motorhomes have them, but they are most widely found in semi tractors. I really love mine. Since it can "flash" lights, front or rear, for passing trucks, operate the cruise control and the various wiper settings, it helps keep you eyes on the road and increases safety.

It looks like the accelerator pedal might be movable, but the brake pedal would require some fabrication. I'll take another look soon. I hadn't really thought of moving it, but that would be nice.

Congratulations of you new rig! You now have a new hobby. As eMike says, "Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project".
Old 10-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #69

I haven't had time to look into this further. Maybe next week. We qahve weekend plans.

Been a busy day though...today was tire day. Bought two new ones for the front ...and had the rears checked out and balanced, after moving the old front ones to the rear. Had a couple that I wanted to get rid of...one had been flat and rubbed the other some. Now they all look new with good date codes...

Generator and engine.. filters and service next..

Stan..
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #70

Stan,

Well.. I'll approach it like this...

Do you plan to #1 park it somewhere and seldom move or do you plan to #2 ride the wheels off of it?

If your answer is #1 .. Buy a different brand.. Some put more attention to inside the living quarter's details, and if you will seldom move, the Alpine's advantage will not be utilized.

Now if your gonna ride the wheels off your motorhome.... Buy a ALPINE.

You will NEVER find a better riding coach.. NEVER... Not even Newell...

So with that said, it is definitely true that one of the owner's biggest wishes was to have a motorhome ride like a BMW.... and I got to tell you...If ever a Motorhome road like a BMW .... ALPINE achieved it..
I road them all..
But I was very perplexed.... ? I wanted the Newell style and thought out inside living quarters... But I wanted the best ride to!

What I found was I could not have them both... SO as a first time owner, I had to make a decision... and it's all about the RIDE.... Kind of like the german word "fafingnugin" {which is horribly misspelled} but you get my drift...
I decided i can make some adjustments to the inside of my motorhome as I am quite handy and have volumes of woodworking tools {Shop} and can fabricate much.
But I could NEVER change the ride..... and that Alpine ride....... Nothing could beat it... I had to keep looking out the mirror to make sure it was a motorhome and not SUV or something...
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote