Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #1

We need to replace both windshields on our 2001 Alpine Coach and are having problems getting one that fits correctly and were told that none will fit exactly like it came from the factory. Anyone have any suggestions? We are talking with Duncan Systems & Guardian & Western RV and all seem to say the same. Anyone else have the same problem with the fit of the new glass?? We are in So. Cal, Orange County. Thanks.
poester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #2

We need to replace both windshields on our 2001 Alpine Coach and are having problems getting one that fits correctly and were told that none will fit exactly like it came from the factory. Anyone have any suggestions? We are talking with Duncan Systems & Guardian & Western RV and all seem to say the same. Anyone else have the same problem with the fit of the new glass?? We are in So. Cal, Orange County. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #3

One shop had problems getting the windshield to fit on my 2002 coach. They had to get a port-a-power from a body shop and push the center windshild column out to get the windshield to line up. It made them nervous doing this but it worked and the windshild lined up great.
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing your experience. Will keep this in mind. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jedova
We just had a new front windshield (passenger side) installed in our 1998 Alpine and didn't have any problems. I realize there is 3 years difference between our coaches, but we were very happy with our experience. I was quite apprehensive about have a windshield replaced, but after this experience it won't be a problem next time. I would suggest contacting Tracy at RV Glass Solutions - 888-777-6778 in Eugene, OR. They contract with local glass installers that have experience working with RVs. In our case, I called Tracy and she contacted the local shop. I gave Tracy a credit card number over the phone and then she had the local shop call us to set up the appointment. We had ours replaced in the Phoenix area and it cost $765 vs. the $1045 that Western quoted us. The windows in our coach had shifted some, but the installer readjusted the driver's side windshield (he commented that he didn't like to do that since he would be liable if he broke it) and then installed the other windshield with no problems at all. Good Luck,
jedova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Long time IRV2 Alpine Forum watcher, but had to post my experience with windshield replacement. I contacted RV Glass Solutions and talked with Tracy about replacing my windshield. Tracy then contracts a local glass shop, shipped windshield to be replaced. I ask Tracy if this glass company had replaced a windshield in an Alpine with the rubber gasket-less sealant, she insured me they had. Sometime in 2000 Alpine stopped the use of the rubber gasket and went to the sealant only method. Two men from the local glass company showed up, built a scuffle, and started to cut the sealant out. The first thing the helper does is slip with the knife in the bottom corner and cuts the paint/front end fiber glass for 3". Things went down hill fast and I told them to pack up their s... and leave. I then called RV Glass Solutions. Talked with manager Rex about what had happened. All he could say was how hard these Alpine installation were because WRV doesn't use the rubber molding. He also claims RV Glass Solutions has told WRV not to use the sealant only method, but to no avail. When I ask how the factory does such a nice job on the windshield installation he said WRV puts the windshields in while the front end clip is laying horizontal on the ground and then lifted into position later. RV Glass Solutions at this point didn't know what to do! So on my own I was able to find out who does the replacement glass work for LaMesa RV and contacted this company myself. The owner insured me he had replaced a windshield in an Alpine before. While he did say he hoped he never saw another one, he would do the work. The new installer contacted RV Glass and picked up the windshield from the first local glass company. The new windshield from RV Glass is a "Coach Glass, mfg" and the original was a "Guardian", needless to say, the Coach Glass one is not has good has the Guardian. While most wouldn't see difference, I do! Also I wasn't available when the second local installer put the windshield in. He must have used a spoon to finish off the sealant because it had a half round grove around the windshield, so I had to hire a third glass company to re-seal so it was flat and looked like the other windshield. RV Glass because of all the problems said they would give me the windshield. I later checked with my insurance company and found out RV Glass billed and accepted the full amount. After being contacted by the insurance company they did refund as they had told me they would. Who would have thought you had to go through this much just to get another windshield! Body and Paint work around $600 (no payment for my inconvenience) three different local glass companies, insurance amount billed wrong, etc. From the above I do not recommend RV Glass, but if you must, or any other, make doubly sure the local installer has done a Alpine before, in fact the more the better. Alpine, Country Coach, and I think one model of Prevost are the only coach mfg's that use sealant instead of the rubber gasket installation. Good luck. Dan
Old 06-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #7

I am very surprised regarding the unhappiness of the work done by RV Glass Solutions/Coach Glass. We have had 3 different windshields (all putty set) replaced by them on 2 different Alpine coaches and have been very satisfied with the replacements. In one case they did have to try two different pieces of glass to get a good fit. It has always been A-1 Glass doing the installation in Eugene.

We have had two neighbors both with putty set solid windows in their Country Coaches replaced there also and both are very very pleased with the work.
dkgreene is offline   Reply With Quote