Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

2002 a&e power awning

2002 Alpine 40FDTS

Has a power awning with a weird controller. Gray box in basement, looks factory but I can't quite tell. Switch to turn on with a two way switch for extend retract. Problem is he two was was a temporary throw and I left it on and apparently burnt the motor out. The manuals that came with the coach shows an a&e awning and it says a&e on the motor cap but the manual is not for a power awning. It is t a concealed motor it hangs in the front in a plastic housing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a part number for the motor?
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #2

Don't know if this helps, but I had a similar experience getting my discontinued motor repaired.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/awni...or-180327.html
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch. I'll see if they can do it!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
2002 a&e power awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by a johnson View Post
2002 Alpine 40FDTS

Has a power awning with a weird controller. Gray box in basement, looks factory but I can't quite tell. Switch to turn on with a two way switch for extend retract. Problem is he two was was a temporary throw and I left it on and apparently burnt the motor out. The manuals that came with the coach shows an a&e awning and it says a&e on the motor cap but the manual is not for a power awning. It is t a concealed motor it hangs in the front in a plastic housing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a part number for the motor?

That "weird controller" sounds like the A&E controller. The two way switch should be off in the center and pushing it one way will extend, the other way retract the awning, but it should self center and not stick on either side, you have to hold it in position to get the awning to move.. The one on the controller is the same function as the one on the wall by the door and also does the same function as the key fob. Any of these switches could be stuck causing the awning to quit working. Also the controller will "chirp" if it looses connectivity to the wind sensor, pull the modular connector on the side of the controller to prove this. A new controller should be available from A&E, we just replaced ours due to wind sensor failure. Find the model number on the controller and give A&E a call, the number is on the back of the manual you have. We have a 2005, so I expect our number maybe different, but A&E can help you sort it out. You should also be able to get the right manual from them or on their web site.

Also, at least in 2005, A&E had a problem with a weak motor, they did a warranty replacement on ours in 2006 or 7. WRV used A&E for the awnings for many years so I would not be surprised to see that you have the same issues if it was not previously replaced. Are you the original purchaser?

By the way, A&E is widely used in the RV industry and is manufactured by Dometic, there are hundreds of dealers across the country and Camping World is a dealer. You can contact Dometic/A&E at 800 554-4881 or at their web site http://www.dometic.com/USA/Support/Spare-parts/.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Three thoughts: 1--despite a large product base in Dometic, apparently early model replacement motors aren't available; 2--early model Alpines don't have the wind sensor option; and 3--pretty sure there is a fuse [glass-type] inside the controller box in the basement. Recommend checking voltage in and out of the control box and the switch on the wall in coach before tackling the motor as the issue.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Since the wiring runs up the awning support, if the awning is extended you could jump power to that wiring and get the awning to move. Since the OP was not concerned about pulling the awning in, I assume it is retracted so you would have to find the wires either in the wall or at the controller. It would be easier to do that at the controller, since there is no wind sensor (thanks old scout, I always get caught by the differences year to year) there should only be cables from the battery, the door side switch and the motor. The motor and the battery will be 2 wires each and the door side switch should be 3, so I expect sorting it out should be fairly straight forward. The battery hot wire should always have power, the motor hot only when attempting to extend or retract, and 1 wire in the 3 from/to the switch should have power.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips guys.

Yes the awning is retracted. Power is good everywhere so I'm assuming it's a motor problem. I've sent a mail to Globe as suggested in the first one. I'll update once i hear from them. I'll do a little more trouble shooting as well. I'm also going to replace the switch with a new temporary throw switch.

Aaron

Tags
awning, power