Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astasoftride View Post
From owning an F350, I thought the duel tire pressure was more due to potential tire interactions. Meaning with lower pressures (for the same weight) the tire would bulge out a bit more. This then could lead to the two tires rubbing which would be a bad thing or at least the space between the two being greatly reduced.

I think I wrote the wrong number earlier. For the Toyo 295R80/22.5 @ 9880 it is 80 psi.
You are correct. I looked up a chart for your tires and it showed 80 front and 80 rear for your posted weights. At maximum axle ratings it would be 105 front and 90 rear. In my opinion, at your current weight, you’d be properly inflated at 90-95 all around.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #16

My early 2003 model has a 12k front and a 19k rear axle--WRV went to an upgraded 13k front and 20k rear axle some time during the 2003 model year. Looking at the Toyo tire pressure charts, I like the 100 lbs for the fronts as that would fully cover your max front axle weight; similarly, 90 for the rear would cover your max there. Suppose you could go with a bit less pressures but what would be the point?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:08 AM   #17

As a side note, a little extra pressure in the fronts will take a little stress off the steering box bracket.
It's not like most of us will ever actually wear out a set of tires.
I would also add that you don't want to go way over the chart recommendations because you could start to affect the contact patch of the tire.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
As a side note, a little extra pressure in the fronts will take a little stress off the steering box bracket.
It's not like most of us will ever actually wear out a set of tires.
I would also add that you don't want to go way over the chart recommendations because you could start to affect the contact patch of the tire.
Agreed. More is better, until it’s not.

If the chart says 80 and you inflate to 100, the tires are 25% above the recommended minimum pressure for the given weight. Actual tire experts recommend adding 10-20% to the recommended chart pressure. We aren’t likely to see premature wear from overinflated tires if we only drive 5-10K miles a year. The ride might be a bit more harsh, handling may be compromised, stopping distances may increase. It’s a choice.

If you add 3,000lbs to the coach, revisit the charts.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #19

Based on my previous comments: underinflated, just right, or overinflated....I'll go with a little over-inflation every time--just saying....safe travels!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Based on my previous comments: underinflated, just right, or overinflated....I'll go with a little over-inflation every time--just saying....safe travels!
Let’s define those categories.

1) Under-inflated: Any pressure below the recommended chart pressure.
2) Just Right: Any pressure above the recommended chart pressure that does not exceed chart pressure plus 20%. Preferably between 10-20% above the recommended chart pressure.
3) Overinflated: Any pressure that exceeds chart pressure by 20% or more.

The 10-20% recommendation offers us a Just Right range of 10%. Ten percent of 80 is 8, 10% of 100 is 10. For many of us, we therefore have an 8-10 psi range within which to keep our tires properly inflated. This should not be a difficult challenge. Accomplishing this should not occupy a great deal of our time.

Keep in mind that we round up in 5psi increments on the chart as well. So, we could be as much as 4psi over just by rounding up. That is, if we were to build a chart in 1lb increments. That’s 4-5%, then add another 25%, from say 80 to 100. Now we’re pushing 30%.

It’s just too easy to keep it between 10-20%. So why knowingly go just a little over? Makes no sense.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
You are correct. I looked up a chart for your tires and it showed 80 front and 80 rear for your posted weights. At maximum axle ratings it would be 105 front and 90 rear. In my opinion, at your current weight, you’d be properly inflated at 90-95 all around.
Just to muddy the water just a little bit (hopefully not too much).

The sticker at the front shows GVWR psi numbers of front 110 and rear 95.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #22

Here’s a screenshot of the chart that I referenced.

(On edit)
Well, that’s pretty much unreadable. There are 2 separate 295/75 R22.5’s listed with different load and psi recommendations. Guess you have to search for it in your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7975105C-616E-407A-9933-4959B2371B88.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	328726  
Old 05-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #23

Yes. That looks like the same one that I found. The two lines, the first is for load range G and the second is for load range H. My tires are load range G
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #24

Indeed, I was just looking at the chart again and noticed that the discrepancy was due to the different load ratings. Another reason it is important to inflate your tires based on the weight of your coach. Glad you have it sorted out.

Tags
weight