Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

2005 Alpine Coach 40' Headlight Shortage Issue

My parents own a Alpine Coach 40'. They are currently in South Dakota, and they have had two mechanics look for fuse boxes.

Can anyone tell me where exactly the electrical box is located? Next, how to reset it?

If this model uses fuses for the daylights and headlights?

Does anyone know of any mechanics that specialize in Alpine Coaches?
mwheat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Their coach has a Vansco multiplexing system. Have them shut of the battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment for 30 seconds. This should reset the system. There are no fuses per say it is controlled by solid state components with in the Vansco unit. There is a schematic glued to the back of the panel just in front of the passengers seat. It will indicate what led should be on when the headlights are on.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

Headlight switch is on dash, left of the steering wheel, Ford P/N (for later model years, early model years is different P/N) F81Z-11654-AA (check eBay- $60 to $125), with gray & black connectors. Pin6 on black connector is "HDL" white 18ga. This runs to Pin6 on the 12pin VIP Smart Wheel module, and comes out as headlight signal "HDLTS" on pin2 of the larger 4 pin VIP Smart Wheel connector (there is a smaller 4 pin connector also).
HDLTS white 18ga runs to pin9 of the 23 pin connector on front Vansco VMM ahead of passenger's feet behind plastic kick panel. Circuits up to this point are (I believe) digital seeking ground as switch signal. Starting @ output of the VMM and lighting Output LEDs 1 & 3, or 2 & 4 (low or hi beams respectively based on other input), circuit will be simple 12v for high or less for lo beam, with ~6A auto-resetting breaker feature w/in the VMM.

Headlight signal coming out of the VMM is labeled 1007R or 1007L for Right or Left Hi Beams at VMM 35 pin connector pins5 & 3 respectively, or 1006A for Lo Beams at pin 24 (a splice in the loom takes 1006A to 1006R & L for Right & Left Lo Beam). All the above all takes place on the passenger side of front firewall. The 1007's & 6's run thru inside loom, and somewhere exit the cab to the front side of the firewall, location unknown to me at this point. However, 1007's come off the front (outside) of firewall within one of the round black plug connectors that connect dash stuff to bumper stuff, and there should be enough exposed white wire to find the number markings. On the bumper side of the black cylindrical connector, these go the left & right headlights.

IIWMI'd
1) probe the black 18ga "4435" wire at headlight switch for ground. If none, establish ground & see if that cures the issue. Otherwise
2) If yes to ground, then turn headlight switch to headlights & probe the white 18ga HDL (pin6 black conn) for ground- yes go to step3, no its probably headlight switch.
3) probe HDL at VIP Smart Wheel module for ground; if yes go to step4; if no problem is in wire between HDL Switch & VIP module
4) probe HDLTS wire out of VIP module for signal (I confess I don't know if that's Bat+, Gnd, computer signal, or what) & HDLTS into VMM for same. Input LED 21 on the VMM should light for receiving Headlight signal; per the coach owner that doesn't happen; just guessing cuz the other VMM inputs work like this- circuit for LED21 puts out ~11.9v on the "input" wire HDLTS looking for Gnd as signal to light headlights.

Could be the Smart Wheel module circuit is burned out inside the module, could be the VMM circuit inside VMM is burned out. Could be wiring problem between components. Could be bad ground in '4435' black wire at headlight switch or headlight switch itself.
Could also be voodoo I haven't figured out.