Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, I am going to take a leap here that may or may NOT be correct, it is pure conjecture on my part. I certainly hope, for all our sakes, I am wrong.

I suspect PH does not have a copy of the programing, they count on JCA to handle everything for the VMM. I am also not sure how often WRV changed programming, there might be 1 version, or 500. If that is correct JCA would have a tough time keeping up with the correct version for an individual coach, so they will have a programmer pull the code off a working copy and write it to the bad unit. WRV used Vansco from '04 - 09 so there could be many variants, particularly if you consider Limited and Apex along with the years.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #30

Dave, I think you are right about PH not having programming. From the information I got from PH about 6 years ago. WRV did all their own programming. I did buy a spare from PH about 6 years ago. I did have send one good working VMM to them to program. There was one WRV owner that did buy one from JCA this year and said they got instructions one to program themselves. Hopefully they will post and tell how they did it.

I really do not believe there are a lot of different programs. I know I have more programmed on my Apex. There maybe only about 3 different programs. I think they used a different program for different models. When PH programmed mine , they did send a print out and think mine is posted in the library.

Most likely you will have a problem with one, so I would think you only need to send one good one.

I think as frustrated as we get with JCA, we will just have to try to work with them.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #31

TJShively had a VMM problem in Feb of '15. He had a heck of a time getting it sorted. I have posted his final outcome below. He posted it in Jan or Feb of this year after somebody asked him how things worked out.

His post,

You know, I thought I posted the final outcome but I can't find it so maybe I didn't.
Here it is. I purchased two new Vansco VMM 2820 boxes from Vansco Electronics
1305 Clarence Ave. Winnipeg MB R3T 1T4 Canada
Tel: 204.452.6776 Fax: 204.478.1749 Electronic Controls Division - Parker info@vansco.ca
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...t&vgnextfmt=EN for $2,760 US. Plus about $350 to FedEx for overnight delivery which took 7 days. That’s another story. I had to create an account with FedEx and fill out import documents and other things because Vansco / Parker would not ship using their account. Anyway, I programed the new VMM’s and replaced one at a time and wammooo! It all worked. So now I have one new VMM in the rear and one old VMM in the front and one new (programed) VMM in a box stored in below. So, I guess the one was just bad. Why, I don’t know. I hope no one else has to go through this. Good Luck.
TJ Shively

This post and the note that I got back from PH leads me to believe that we can program these ourselves. I am going to PM Shively and see if he got instructions with his or if he used the instructions on the ACA tech pages.

I am thinking I might bite the bullet and buy a spare also. As you all know I'm in pretty good shape, I can still drive mine and use it if I want to. The Parliers, original poster, is dead in the water and seems to have been for a couple of weeks maybe longer. Unless he can get going he is at the mercy of the programmer at JCA who has been gone since 7/25 and won't be back until 8/8.

I will also send a note back to PH and let them know how disappointed I am with the support, or lack of, that we are getting from JCA. It surprises me that a, proprietary feature of the Vansco VMM is the capability of a blank one to be programmed from a working one upon installation, but JCA wants $250 and insists they do it.

All of this is bad enough, but the fact that it's such a PITA to even buy one adds insult to injury.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco Multiplex Modules

To All Alpine Owners,
Our 2005 Alpine is Broke Down in Lafayette LA as of July 6, 2016
The ONLY Option I have located is the JCA Electronics in Canada.
After a lot of Discussion & Questions -- Have agreed with JCA Terms
JCA did suggest to Ship both of the VMM to JCA
Also JCA suggested to Ship the Power Distribution Module. There has been a lot of Issues with the PDM also -- if there is Issues with the PDM they can Ship back a New PDM
The Parliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #33

Parliers,

Not sure who you talked to but Lorna made no mention of the PDM. She didn't say send it also and she also never mentioned a problem with the PDM. Will they replace it free or will there be a charge for it also.

Did they also tell you that they won't be able to program your new one until Aug 8th when the programmer gets back??

I for one am really getting tired of this conflicting information. I don't mind spending the money, in fact I'm thinking about buying a new spare also. I would hate to end up broken down for several weeks because of a bad VMM.

Terry
Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #34

The PDM does not have to be sent back. The salesperson for PH told it is what they call dumb module and needs no programming. I did purchase one from JCA and works just fine. The PDM is really no more than box with circuit breakers. If you have a problem with circuit or circuits you could go on the outputs side and off the the big power stud, connect a circuit breaker or fused new wire.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #35

Just got a note back from PH. As we know they are not supporting the VMM and they directed me to JCA.

They did inform me that the VMM2820 is no longer in production. I am curious what we will do when the current JCA stock is depleted. I have no idea of how many they may have, but it is kind of a concern. Who knows they may have a 1000 of them, but then again they may have 20.

I wonder if any of you smart guys have given any thought to what it would take to eliminate the VMM. I don't know if it's feasible just thinkin out loud.

Terry
Old 07-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #36

I was thumbing through my new today FMCA magazine and in the RV Doctor help section there's a letter from a guy in Vero Beach, FL having issues with the VMM in his 40' Alpine.

Interesting.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
VMM Issues

Terry
JCA -- Michael Loewen was my first contact with JCA, Than was contacted by Lorna Palaganas, Lorna is the one who handles the VMM Products. Both suggested to send the PDM with the two VMM. I rather attempt to find All of the Vansco Issues that have been installed in the 2005 Apline at one time
The FedEx shipping with the two VMM & the PDM is arriving at JCA on 8/4/16 -- Than the Modules will have to wait until 8/8/16 for Bob Opitz ( JCA Quality Manager) to return from vacation. Bob is the one who actually will evaluate the Modules
I rather attempt using JCA that buying Modules at a Salvage Yard if a person could actually locate one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Parliers,

Not sure who you talked to but Lorna made no mention of the PDM. She didn't say send it also and she also never mentioned a problem with the PDM. Will they replace it free or will there be a charge for it also.

Did they also tell you that they won't be able to program your new one until Aug 8th when the programmer gets back??

I for one am really getting tired of this conflicting information. I don't mind spending the money, in fact I'm thinking about buying a new spare also. I would hate to end up broken down for several weeks because of a bad VMM.

Terry
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #38

All,

I talked to Tim Shively, he just went through this about a year ago, I wanted to know his thoughts on sending the VMM to JCA. I will paste his response to me.

Tim said,

If you do need a VMM, there is only place you can get it.

JCA Electronics, Winnipeg CA, 204-292-0550, jca@jcaelectronics.ca

If you have one VMM that works you program the new VMM from the one that works.

See attached MS word doc “Vansco replacement instructions.doc”

It is not advisable to try find a used one or whatever online, since they have to be programmed.

The reason being is both VMM's have the same software, so they need the good one to be able to program the new one. Note that you will need to extend the front slide because you will need to get to the bolts on the firewall. The bolts are kind of difficult to loosen. I used a needle nose vise grip to hold the head while I undid the nut from inside the coach. I replaced their bolts with ¼ inch by 4 inch hex head bolts. I put the new bolt through the firewall with the hex head toward the front of the coach and I screwed and not onto the bolt inside the coach. Thus having a permanently attached stud instead of their stupid bolts. Now I can remove the VMM totally from the inside of the coach.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I swapped the front VMM to the rear to check it I changed my bolts so that it is an easy one person removal and install of the front VMM. One of those Alpine things that make you say, "what the...."

The programming instructions didn't come through for some reason. I'll keep trying. I know they are in the VMM 2820 section of the tech library.

At this point I have decided to buy a new VMM and program it myself with my good one. I am still undecided on buying 2 and having a new spare, but I am leaning that way. If I buy 2 I will then have a spare, and a half, so to speak. Probably overkill, but I know my personal tolerance for the inconvenience of being stranded.

I will order it next week and keep you all updated on how things go.

Terry

 

           

Old 07-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco Multiplex Modules

There is at lease two different types of VMM in Alpines
One is the VMM2820
One is the VMM7651
They both are difference in appearance
Does anyone have the VMM7651 ???

The VMM that was located in the Battery Compartment in My 2005 Alpine Limited 36ft FDTS has the
Vansco Model 7651-67486-00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
All,

I talked to Tim Shively, he just went through this about a year ago, I wanted to know his thoughts on sending the VMM to JCA. I will paste his response to me.

Tim said,

If you do need a VMM, there is only place you can get it.

JCA Electronics, Winnipeg CA, 204-292-0550, jca@jcaelectronics.ca

If you have one VMM that works you program the new VMM from the one that works.

See attached MS word doc “Vansco replacement instructions.doc”

It is not advisable to try find a used one or whatever online, since they have to be programmed.

The reason being is both VMM's have the same software, so they need the good one to be able to program the new one. Note that you will need to extend the front slide because you will need to get to the bolts on the firewall. The bolts are kind of difficult to loosen. I used a needle nose vise grip to hold the head while I undid the nut from inside the coach. I replaced their bolts with ¼ inch by 4 inch hex head bolts. I put the new bolt through the firewall with the hex head toward the front of the coach and I screwed and not onto the bolt inside the coach. Thus having a permanently attached stud instead of their stupid bolts. Now I can remove the VMM totally from the inside of the coach.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I swapped the front VMM to the rear to check it I changed my bolts so that it is an easy one person removal and install of the front VMM. One of those Alpine things that make you say, "what the...."

The programming instructions didn't come through for some reason. I'll keep trying. I know they are in the VMM 2820 section of the tech library.

At this point I have decided to buy a new VMM and program it myself with my good one. I am still undecided on buying 2 and having a new spare, but I am leaning that way. If I buy 2 I will then have a spare, and a half, so to speak. Probably overkill, but I know my personal tolerance for the inconvenience of being stranded.

I will order it next week and keep you all updated on how things go.

Terry

 

           

Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
I also found this:

Parker Hannifin Electronic Controls Division VMMS downloads
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #41

Vansco 2820 Info

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...rP86EfCTpboAM-

To all interested, this manual addresses the plug and play feature of these modules.

Paul
Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Can anyone tell me what model this unit is? Without removing, I can find no model markings. The rear unit is exactly the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	134595  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote