Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

2006 36 Ft Alpine

Have a question about my coach. It has two slide outs. The slide out for the bedroom is giving me trouble. As we were driving back home I looked out the left side mirror and noticed that the bedroom slide had moved out away from the coach by about 3 to 4 iches. I pulled into a rest stop and checked everything I could think of, didn't see any damage, or anything out of order, I then retracted the slide back in. Everything seemed fine.
But by the time we got home, again the slide was out 3 to 4 inches.
Could I have an air lock in the hyd . system that needs to be bleed out?
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

The hydraulic solonoids might not be tight. There is a nut or T at the end of each one. If the ones that control the slide are slightly loose, it will allow the pressure to be released that holds the slide in. Check them to make sure they are all tight. They are small so be careful not to over-tighten them.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

Check for a hydraulic leak in the hose or connections that go to the bedroom slide. The 2006 Alpine Coaches are notorious for having a leak in the hose or hose connection over the radiator. Search this forum for "bedroom slide leak" to find a lot of posts on this issue. This is a link to one such post:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/36ft-wardrobe-slide-malfunction-damaged-hydraulic-lines-30154.html
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #4

Roger- Welcome to iRV2.
I had the same thing w/a living room slide, tho the leak was small and the creep was minimal: Link.
Turned out to be a fitting needed tightening. The oil is very clear and hard to see a drip on the fitting, but your movement is larger so the leak should show on the ground or on something fairly easily, if it is a leak.
The other possibility is some junk stuck in the solenoid needle valve that is allowing pressure to leak back. You can't tell that for sure w/out taking the solenoid valve out of the pump manifold, so the Leak Patrol duty is first and foremost (and a positive diagnosis if you find leaking fluid).
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
The hydraulic solonoids might not be tight. There is a nut or T at the end of each one. If the ones that control the slide are slightly loose, it will allow the pressure to be released that holds the slide in. Check them to make sure they are all tight. They are small so be careful not to over-tighten them.
Thanks for the quick reply Steve, I checked every thing today and did not find any thing loose.
Roger
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
Check for a hydraulic leak in the hose or connections that go to the bedroom slide. The 2006 Alpine Coaches are notorious for having a leak in the hose or hose connection over the radiator. Search this forum for "bedroom slide leak" to find a lot of posts on this issue. This is a link to one such post:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/36ft-wardrobe-slide-malfunction-damaged-hydraulic-lines-30154.html
Hi Dale, I tried to get to the link you gave me, but could not get through
Thanks anyway
Roger
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #7

Hi Roger,

My welcome as well--I have a 2006 36 FDDS and have replaced the wardrobe hydralic hoses three times due to hose failure. Both Dale777 and EngineerMike have good advice. I would only add that if you see smoke coming out of the back of the coach as you drive along with the slide out 3-4 inches, it is a sure sign that one of the hoses has failed.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
Now with Aircraft quality hoses!
sdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Roger- Welcome to iRV2.
I had the same thing w/a living room slide, tho the leak was small and the creep was minimal: Link.
Turned out to be a fitting needed tightening. The oil is very clear and hard to see a drip on the fitting, but your movement is larger so the leak should show on the ground or on something fairly easily, if it is a leak.
The other possibility is some junk stuck in the solenoid needle valve that is allowing pressure to leak back. You can't tell that for sure w/out taking the solenoid valve out of the pump manifold, so the Leak Patrol duty is first and foremost (and a positive diagnosis if you find leaking fluid).
Thank you Mike, I'll check this out Tuesday morning.
And I'd like to say "Thanks to everyone with all the quick replies and all the help I recieved back. You guys are GREAT!!!"
Roger
Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

Roger L.

I'll try again with the link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/36ft...nes-30154.html
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #10

I had the same problem with the slide and the problem was a bad hydraulic solenoid that was allowing the "creep" to occur. It was a relatively quick change with a new solenoid from HWH.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #11

Last year I had mine creep out a bit a couple of times. Did nothing except extend a bit and retract. Has not happened again? Wonder if somehow an air pocket develops and bleeds out?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #12

Rich- could be detritus in the hydraulic fluid in the vicinity of the manifold, getting caught in the needle valve, and some cycling clearing it.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #13

Hello Mike, Well today I crawled under the back end of the coach and found some drips of Hyd Fluid on the bottom of the radiator. Got a flashlight and tried to find where it was leaking from but could see anything. Couldn't even see the hoses to the slide-out. Had a oil drip on a larger hose but that hose was piped into the radiator.Think I'll have to take a wrench to all the fittings now.

Roger
Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #14

sdcyclist, Thanks for the infor. But if I see smoke while driving down the road, I'm jumping out. Just kidding, I hope to get this issue resolved before we leave for Tucson, Az. Aircraft hoses sounds like the right way to go. To bad Western didn't come up with that idea.
Roger
p.s. WHAT A GREAT WEB SITE!!! ALL THE MEMBERS ARE GREAT.