Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2006 Alpine Coach

I have been looking at a 2006 Alpine listed as a "2006 Alpine Limited 40FD", How can I tell if it is actually a Apex Limited or an Avalanche model.

What are the issues with Avalanche that make it soo bad to own. Is there anyone out there with an Avalanche that is happy with it.

Thanks
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	55336  
newbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

As far as I know all of the Avalanches have a rear radiator. The rest of the Alpine Coach models have a side radiator. That picture appears to show an Avalanche.

I have met at least one couple at a rally that has one, and seemed happy. But I know happy Avalanche owners are few and far between, at least initially. Not sure how many now have been able to get all of the issues resolved.

I don't know all of the issues. I just know there were a lot of them.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

Dont remember the year the Avalanche was made but two indicators are electric slides and rear-engine radiator--this one looks like an Avalanche. APEX will be clearly stenciled on front and has many electronic upgrades and hydraulic basement slides, to name a few differences. Lots of initial problems with the Avalanche caused most to be returned to WRV. The few that remain in the market place seem to have done ok for their owners--but the sample size is really small.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

You can tell just by looking at the front cap that it is an Avalanche. Just look at the brochure for the Limited and you can see the difference. I wouldn't touch one.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I have only seen one WRV Avalanche in person and it had serious delamination issues.

Personally, I make it a priority to never buy a vehicle that is named after a natural disaster of any kind !

Jeff
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #6

I would also be very leery about dealing with a seller who tries to pass off an Avalanche as an Alpine Limited.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If it's the one in Davis, CA, it's an Avalanche. Definately. If it was a Limited SE, it would say so on the back, plus have a side draft radiator.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks Everyone

Yes, this is the one in Davis. It has been on the market since May 2013 at least, and I was considering buying it, but was concerned by the mixed reviews on this site and understanding how to distinguish the two models.

I thank everyone for helping me avoid a huge mistake.
newbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #9

Don't let us discourage you from buying an Alpine Coach. They are great coaches. Just maybe not the Avalanche.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Check out the 2006 Limited SE here: 2006 Alpine 40fdts, Santa Fe Springs CA - 109083165 - RVTrader.com . It may be more than you want to pay. Make them an offer. If it were me, I would check this one out further, course we love the mid door.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #11

Having been the proud owner of an Avalanche, I can shed some light. First, it drives like an Alpine, very nice. On mine, the front jacks were located such that they caused damage to the coach when leveling and were moved, the roof leaked, the bedroom slide mechanism was not mounted properly, the fuel gauge never read correctly as there was no slosh baffles in the tank, I could go on, but I wont. WRV replaced all of the cabinets in the front 3 times as well as the carpet due to water damage, moved the jacks behind the front axle, moved the propane tank and replaced the fuel tank among a lot of other things. WRV bought it back 5 weeks prior to closing their doors forever.

I now own an Apex and am very happy with it even though I just experienced the dreaded radiator leak that cost me a bundle.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #12

We have to admit the Avalanche was a lemon. WRV tried to produce a lower cost Alpine but didn't really know how to do that without compromising the quality they had built in to the Limited.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #13

WeBrnz- fortunately, somebody bought that Avalanche at the factory auction.

I drove by the Davis lot (its visible from the I-80 freeway), and the Avalanche had moved. Now I know why. It was under suspicion.

I've run into two Avalanche owners who love their coaches. And they don't have the steering bracket issue.