Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All,
The vanity slide won't stay out after putting it out. It slowely moves to the travel position and comes in about 6-8 inches; you can actually see and hear it moving. I think I have seen other issues about this problem, but have not been able to fine the specific post. I tried to cycle the slide a couple of times, but it won't stay out. It will however stay in the travel position once moved to that.

It's not a deal breaker, and we can just leave the vanity slide in and still use the coach, but it's annoying to say the least. I looked into the battery compartment, there are no leaking lines, or dripping fluid, so it's not a hose or leak issue, there must be a check valve not holding correctly, just not sure where to look. No other systems are affected, in fact, after talking to HWH about the front air bag issue, and trying the suggested fix, the front bags now dump as needed, they are always the last ones to lose air. When the leveling system does not call for them to dump they don't, when it does they do. Nice when things work like they are supposed to.

So, now our camping to break-downs ratio is about 89 to 11. Still no hot water, but the technician and Aqua-hot know it's the mixing valve, it will be replaced in the spring. Since I want to stay working with the technician who has done the most diagnostics on it, I am willing to wait till then. Since winter is coming to this part of the country, we will use it a couple more times this year, and then winterize it, and put it away except for monthly exercise trips to keep it charged up and running. That is unless I win the lottery, and build the shop to store it in, and then I will just heat the shop so it won't get cold.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All,
The vanity slide won't stay out after putting it out. It slowely moves to the travel position and comes in about 6-8 inches; you can actually see and hear it moving. I think I have seen other issues about this problem, but have not been able to fine the specific post. I tried to cycle the slide a couple of times, but it won't stay out. It will however stay in the travel position once moved to that.

It's not a deal breaker, and we can just leave the vanity slide in and still use the coach, but it's annoying to say the least. I looked into the battery compartment, there are no leaking lines, or dripping fluid, so it's not a hose or leak issue, there must be a check valve not holding correctly, just not sure where to look. No other systems are affected, in fact, after talking to HWH about the front air bag issue, and trying the suggested fix, the front bags now dump as needed, they are always the last ones to lose air. When the leveling system does not call for them to dump they don't, when it does they do. Nice when things work like they are supposed to.

So, now our camping to break-downs ratio is about 89 to 11. Still no hot water, but the technician and Aqua-hot know it's the mixing valve, it will be replaced in the spring. Since I want to stay working with the technician who has done the most diagnostics on it, I am willing to wait till then. Since winter is coming to this part of the country, we will use it a couple more times this year, and then winterize it, and put it away except for monthly exercise trips to keep it charged up and running. That is unless I win the lottery, and build the shop to store it in, and then I will just heat the shop so it won't get cold.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #3

Renipladlo

I had the same problem with my front living room slide on our '06 MDDS. Turned out to be a leaking extend/retract solenoid on the HWH hydraulic manifold. Took the technician about 10 minutes to replace it once he got the part from HWH. The solenoid just screws in and out, with a little tool that comes with the solenoid. The solenoid holds the pressure in the system and doesn't let it bleed off until it's told to do so from the control panel.

I would look at the solenoid for that slide.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Old Forester & All,

Received a PM from the sales manager of Uhlmann RV in Chehalis, WA and he offered a suggestion on what is causing this problem. He thinks the needle valve in the solenoid has foreign material blocking it from functioning correctly. He suggested unscrewing it a little and then cycling the slide a couple of times, then screwing it back in. If this fixes it I will let all know. Then I will try the fix you suggest OldForester.

I also replied to an e-mail from the Tech at HWS about the air bags to let him know of the latest problem, and I expect an answer tomorrow by the time I get home from work. Since the coach is in storage, it will be a few days time before I can get over to it and try these various fixes.

Thank you to all.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Today was winterization day for the coach, as it looks like we won't take it out any more this winter season. Tried to take care of maintenance issues, filled the batteries with distilled water, buffed out some surface scratches, cut the wires on the useless 10W solar panel so it would quit trying to overcharge the batteries.

I tried to figure out which solenoid is the one for the vanity slide. Logic dictates, there should be 4 which run the leveling legs, 4 which run the smartbeds and three which run the slides, however, I have three banks of 4 solenoids each, and cannot figure out which bank and then which individual unit is the culpirt to work on. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

Note Please, the APEX coaches don't have a normal 625 Hydraulic System, it's a modified system because of the way the APEX's were made. I could loosen all the solenoid valves and then cycle the slide, but that seems counterproductive.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Oh forget to mention that there (as many know) three types of solenoid valves in this arrangement. The large valves with the "T" handle, a large valve with a plastic cover over the adjustment nut and the small valve with the adjustment nut. In looking over the manual for the 625 system, it appears that the smaller valves are for the smartbeds and slide rooms, and the large valves appear to be for the leveling legs. Now if I can only figure out which bank of valves is the slide room, I will be closer to fixing this thing.

True to WRV engineering, there is no room to work on the system, and no access door to remove at the sides of the compartment so as to work on the valves and be able to loosen the nuts. I can see some extremely bad cuts to my hands if I cannot figure out which one it is, as I now know it's not the first one I tried.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, further enlightenment, it appears, those two banks of 4 smaller valves are in fact, extend and retract valves - one valve for each action. So, I think the valves do double duty, run the smartbeds and also extend and retract the rooms; there are four, because I have 4 smartbeds, which means only three of the four are doing duty for the rooms. It also appears in the diagram that the valves toward the rear of the coach are the retract valves, (would be the ones hardest to reach and work on), so it now just a case of loosening the valve release nut, cycling the slide a couple of times and then tightening the nut back down. This should clear the obstruction in the valve body; at least it's worth a try. Hoping this will help somebody else down the road with a similar problem. Now that we have had this discussion I feel so much better, HA, HA, HA!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have learned that everyone I talked to at HWH had a different story as to what solnoid ops what.I've found out the best way is to check the labels on the wires going to the valves.Most of the valves for the smartbeds and slides are above the aft smartbeds.
APEXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I also for got to memtion that don't unscrew the little screw more than 3 turns or you will ruin the valve.
APEXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I just looked at my valves. I haven't checked which valve runs which slide/smart-bed, it is 0n my long list of things to do. The front bank of valves has the 4 large ones for the jacks and 4 small ones, only 3 used. (we have 3 slide coach.) I think that the 3 valves run the front room slide and 2 smart beds. This allows access to the rear valve bank. My rear bank of 4 valves is between the frame rails behind the water tank. I think these valves control the rear 2 slides and 2 of the smart beds.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Bob, thank you, and yes I was aware not to unscrew the little nut out very far. In fact the smaller valves only allow 1 & 1/4 turn only out.

Dale, great to hear from you, missed you input, hope you are healthy, happy and terrific. Wow, I just figured all my valves were in the HWH compartment, and did not go looking for any other place. I am aware the actuators are in the battery compartment for the vanity slide, don't think my valves are there. I think they are all in the HWH compartment. I will call my contact at HWH tomorrow and see if he can shed any light on the issue. It might be spring before I attempt this, and by then there should be a rally I can attend and get some expert advice/repair work done. I don't want to touch something I am not familiar with and mess it up worse than it is now.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #12

on the apex you have 2 banks of solonids. 1 in the hwh compartment (no fun to work on) and a second bank between the frame rails (alot more friendly)bythe rear smart bed. they are labled. just rember to tiewrap every up out of the way to clear the smart bed.
midflalpinetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you I will look next time I have the coach out of storage. Looks like we are taking it out over veterans day weekend, with a few days extra around that, YEAHHHHHHHHHH more camping time. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!