Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

A/C in Rear does not Stay On

So on my alpine coach 07 36mdds you turn the air on works great for about 20-30 min. then the rear shuts off and dont come back on and the front isnt powerful enough to keep it cold . new thermostat and up top looks really clean . When both units are on its nice therm @ 70 degrees ????
gould25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

What is the temperature setting on the rear unit?

Sometimes the bedroom/bath area will reach the set temperature before the front of the coach. Maybe set the rear 2 degrees cooler.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

a/c

it could be 73 or 66 once it shuts off it doesnt come back on
Old 10-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gould25 View Post
it could be 73 or 66 once it shuts off it doesnt come back on
It never comes back on? So, it’s only happened once and now it’s dead? Or will it come back on after it has shut down for an hour, a day, a week or a month?

Will it come back on if you lower the set point after it shuts off? If so, it is just a temperature setting adjustment you need to work out. If it doesn’t come on after lowering the set point, you most likely have an issue with the unit.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #5

Really need a little more info as suggested but I suspect the compressor may be on its way out. Check the running amps and if it climbs during the 20 mins run time then it's toast.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There's typically a high limit klixon thermostat on the compressor case. If the compressor's running hot, it'll cause the limit to trip and it can take some time for it to reset. Some of the limits also have an internal thermal element that also heats up if the amp draw of the compressor is higher than normal.

High head pressure can drive compressor current higher, it can also cause the compressor to run hotter. High head is typically caused by obstruction or poor air flow/inadequate heat exchange through the condenser coil. So it may be helpful to clean the coil; use a foaming coil cleaner that penetrates into the coil and foams the dirt out. Cleaning the fan may help as well.

There's no assurance that's the extent of it, low refrigerant can also cause the compressor to run hot since the system relies on refrigerant flow through the compressor for cooling. If refrigerant is low, the cooling capacity suffers.

Low charge on a rooftop RV unit isn't generally a cost effective repair, most don't even have access ports for that reason.

My front Coleman Polar Mach was exhibiting the same symptoms, it would shut down if ambients got in the 90's. I had it replaced it last month in Red Bay. Good luck with it.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #7

a/c

Sorry guys slow here but after the rear turns off it wont go back on unless I turn off a/c for like an hour then it will come back on for 20=30 minutes ,the coils are clean looks good up top and i;ll put the temp lower in the rear .
Old 10-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

When the compressor wouldn’t come back on did you feel the compressor housing with your hand? If it was too hot to touch it is likely off on the internal klixon as suggested . If this is the case you should try new run and start capacitors ,with new capacitors check the full load amps if you still have a problem . If it is higher then rated the compressor is history.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I usually set the temp for the rear air at 56 or so. That way it runs until I turn it off. If you do this and still have problems, you will know the problem is in the unit rather than thermostat related.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #10

a/c

Thank you for the input i'll try to play with it today and post more of what I find .
Old 10-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #11

I agree with Jeff to run a test, it's easy and the results will point you either toward the thermostat or the unit.

Realize that the thermostat for the A/C is not the one on the wall control box, it's the temperature probe that's mounted somewhere in the bedroom, behind a round plastic grid, about the size of a quarter. On my Alpine, it's on the built in cabinet under the TV set, above the drawers. This sensor is what the rear unit uses to shut down/restart. Being that the space is much smaller than the front of the coach, the rear unit on my coach rarely even comes on if set at the same temp as the front, and if it does, it shuts down much sooner. If I want the rear unit to continue to run, I set the temp much lower than 2-3* from the front.

Look for something like this in the bedroom.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #12

a/c

So compressors run about 145 degrees front and about 159 degrees rear put the rear at 60 degrees outside temp about 72 rear did not shut off after about 30 minutes had to leave so turned off unit seems to work if it's not hot outside ??????? Going camping next week so will test more thanx again. I found that little thermostat looks like just a wire
Old 10-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #13

If the rear compressor is running a higher temperature then the front compressor it is an indication of possible capacitors in need of replacement they are cheap on eBay by the way. Higher temperature equals higher running amps Also if the condenser coil is not clean it will cause a higher temperature it can be cleaned with a water hose. That little wire has a thermistor on the end that is calibrated to control the 2 stage cooling. I bypassed mine and installed a 2nd thermostat just because I didn’t like having one thermostat.

Tags
rear