Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
A/C Unit Heat Pump?

I was wondering if anyone would know if Alpine only put Heat Pump units in certain coaches? I have 2000 40fds and can not seem to figure out if I have them. My control panel does not let me select heat pump. Does anyone else have this problem?

Matt
mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It would be for someone who has a coach near to yours to reply, but!
If you have a thermostat that allows heat and cold, and you can select elect heat on the display then you most likely have a heat pump. That said, I know we do, as we have the invoice sheet on the coach. You could get the model number from one of the units and then do a search on the manufactures web site, which would be another way. Other than those, I don't know.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Matt:

The thermostat will have "Heat Pump" as one of the "Modes" if you have them, unless the previous owner changed out the thermostat for the wrong one.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

On most of the Alpine Coaches, the Heat Pump option was just that - an option.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
When I ordered my coach the heat pump was an inexpensive option (about $150). The thermostat has a heat pump option on the settings.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Matt,

My 2001 Alpine did not have Heat Pumps on the roof AC. My 2004 has heat pumps. I decided to look at the Alpine Coach Association, tech site, brochures. Sure enough [B]No heat pump option in 2001[B] Looked at 2002 brochure and there it was heat pumps as an option.

Wonder who has the first heat pump option most likely a 2002 coach or possibly one of the last 2001.

Hope this helps.

Dan R...............
D & D Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

My previous coach was a 2001 38FDDS purchased in October 2000. It had heat pumps. I ordered them as a standard option.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I had heat pumps on my '02 and used them when possible due to noisy propane heater. When I ordered this coach, I went with Aqua Hot for a quieter system. As the AH has an electric option I wasn't sure about the need for heat pumps. I talked to Ron Doyle about what I should order as ACs, for the quietest operation. He told me that the standard Dometic ACs with out the heat pump would be the quietest. This was due to the fact the non-heat pump units, did not have the extra valving, required for the hp option. It does seem to be quieter, as attested to by many that have come in our coach while the AC's are running and asked why our coach was quieter than theirs.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Dale & All, on the APEX's I think everything including the kitchen sink was part of the package. That being said, we have the heat pumps, noisy, maybe to some, I just live with it. I like the fact that I can go over to the coach, start the genset, and fire up the HP's and it warms up the coach fairly quickly, and I am doing two things by doing it this way, first I am giving my Genset exercise which the manual says I should, and also exercising the a/c units, again as the manual says I should.
And unknowingly to me, the first time we used the coach, we did not fill up the diesel tank after a significantly long run, and just went to where we were headed, and about 1.5 days into the trip the HH quit working, and we could not figure out why. The why, was we had let the diesel tank run down too far and as a design safety measure, the fuel level falls below the pickup of the HH unit. Having the heat pumps kept us warm in Montana weather which was cold at that time. The wife unit finds them A/C and HP noisy, but nothing is free.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #10

A/C heat

Matt, pull the cover off of the A/C in the inside of the coach where the filter is. I believe that you can get the model & S/N from there. If so you can look on Dometic's site and get your unit(s) identified as to what they have available. If the model numbers are not there go up on the roof and pull a cover off and the model numbers may be under there. Once you get them you can identify what the units were built with. Some A/C's were built with small electric heaters in them. I do not know if Alpine ever used them? The nice part about them is they are not affected buy air temperature. Heat pump becomes fairly useless under 40°. I think you can resolve your mystery in this way quite easily.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

I assume you are aware that the generator has the same low fuel cut off. Each fuel pick up is separate, so one probably will cut off before the other. In fact the cut off level might be set differently for each. I have always heard the 1/4 tank level stated for both and with our fuel gauges, I can't tell exactly when mine have cut off.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
My heat pumps on mine cut off at 30 degrees because they don't have a defrost circuit. They should just call them what they are -REVERSABLE air conditioners. Strip heat would be better because they don't consume much more electric then the heat pump compresser . (And they don't drip and freeze across top of coach).
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Dale - If my memory serves (lately is has been on and off again), the manual on the genset says 1/4 tank left and it will shut down, and the manual on the HH says, 3/8 fuel remaining and it will shut off. The one time we lost the HH because of low fuel, it was at about 3/8 remaining in the tank according to the gauge. And I was aware of those levels after reading the manual for a couple of times and then it clicked in.

Having never owned a MH before this one, and not ever exposed to the newfangled gadgets it was a steep learning curve. Our Post Delivery Show and Tell, would have been more informative if the person showing and telling had actually put the controls into my hands and made me do the operations a couple of times. I would have learned faster, and it would have stuck. It took a couple of trips to figure out how things worked, with numerous calls to the dealer, because I never had a Silverleaf manual, I had to download it and print it out. That in itself was one of the best ones I read.

Now if I can just take the time to learn and program the universal remote that we got with the coach, life would be a dream.