Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #15

Ken, you are almost correct, the Winegard coax distribution box provided the 12v power for the booster that is built into the antenna head. If you want to use OTA very much, I would install the SensarPro signal strength meter to provide the power to the antenna head booster. It will also aid in helping you aim the antenna.

If you rewire the coax nest, consider using mini-coax cables. I used some made by C2G, which come in various lengths. You will still have the same number of coax cables, but they are smaller and more flexible, easier to work with. The quality is good, especially for the short runs you need.

And congratulations on finding a TV that would do what you wanted with the sound.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #16

Ken,
In truth, I haven't gotten that far yet. There are some other things I've found that I'm still unsure of their purpose. I've been focused on the cable and satillite which I am more likely to use. I didn't discard the Winegard in the event that I still need to use it. One of the reasons my progress is so slow is due to the fact that I'v not used the coach since September. Planning to go south soon for the first time snowbirding. I'm sure that extensive time in it will foster resolving these questions.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #17

Wolf. I used a Vizio E series # E40-C2. It turned out that I needed the Antenna Amplifier so I kept it and used it for control of all the COAX cable feeds. I have 3TVs
and the switch has 3 sections for TVs. I am getting the best picture connecting thru the switch. I tried connecting everything thru SPLITTERS but the picture was degraded.
So the front Vizio and the bedroom Samsung each have it's own Blue-ray player connected directly to the TV with HDMI cable. All TVs have COAX to deliver broadcast TV and Direct TV signals. I do not have a High Def. Dish so I can use COAX for Direct TV. Now that broadcast TV is in High Def. it is a really good picture. So, High Def. local TV, High Def. DVDs, and Regular Def. Satellite, with out having to rerun all new cables thru the coach. The External TV only displays local TV and Satellite TV, no DVDs. I think this is as good as I can get for the money. Ken
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #18

Ken

Jim I like the idea of knowing where to point the antenna, I might look into that. With the new TV having it's own Tuner my control cabinet is a lot less crowded. I am able to manage the existing COAX since I cut a big hole in the back of the control cabinet to allow the cables a place to fold into. I mounted the TV on !' square tubing mounted on to the existing TV mounting brackets. That positioned the TV in the same location as the original TV and I can still use the perforated metal guard screen to close behind the TV. All in all, I am pretty happy with it. Thank you all for your help, and I hope any of this might help anyone else who WILL be taking on this project. As a side light, I purchased 4 40" TVs for this project. I have one in the Coach one in my Bedroom in the house, and I returned two back to Best Buy. Ken L.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Ken, now you need to add a Wifi Blu-ray player with a media player, and you will have all the bases covered. Use the refund from the two TV's you returned!

You will like the SensarPro. I use a Rayzar antenna which is not quite as direction sensitive as the batwing, but it still helps a lot.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #20

Jim, "Ken, now you need to add a Wifi Blu-ray player with a media player" What
will that address, the media player? I believe that the Samsung Blu-ray has Wifi. I live a little out in the country and don't have cable, so I have to use a Wireless Network Adapter for my Internet connection it is a metered connection on cell phone signal so no Streaming Movies. I do want to correct something I said earlier, Not All the TVs get their signal via Coax. The Visio is connected with Component cable Red White & Yellow from my Direct receiver. Ken
Old 12-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #21

I was mainly kidding. I don't stream video while we are camping either due to the limited data phone plan, and most campground wifi is way too slow. What the media player got me was the ability to copy my DVD collection to a USB hard drive, so I don't need to carry the DVD's with me. You have got to be pretty lazy when you don't want to carry a few DVD's!

An S-video cable will get you a somewhat better picture than the yellow video cable. If your Direct receiver has an HDMI output, that will deliver the sound and video to the Vizio on one cable instead of three. (And digital signals, not analog. The best quality hookup method.)

Enjoy your system now that you have it working.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #22

Cable TV connection

Reading all the postings about the television installation have been interesting, to say the least! I'm curious about Cable TV connection. We have a 2007 34 DDS and someone 'upgraded' the audio visual system to a Dell TV and Sony sound system. We are unable to get cable tv to work. Just curious if there may be a cable behind something that may not have been hooked up during the process and where I might find that cable in the coach.
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #23

This color code on the coax cables behind the AV area was posted earlier-- likely applies to your coach as well:

AV system: Applies to 2006
From Portable satellite - Purple
From Roof satellite - Green
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red
To outside TV - Black
To bedroom TV - Blue
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #24

I think I am the one who originally posted that color code from my '04. It is unlikely that those main cables, which are white RG-6 coax, would have been replaced. The color code is a colored band near the connector.

I believe by '07 that WRV had dropped the Winegard selector box, the BOMB (box of many buttons. Something needed to supply the power to the booster in the antenna head. Winegard typically used a switch plate with a red LED light on it. In addition to providing the power to the antenna, it often acts as a switch between OTA and cable. If the power is on, it allows the OTA signal to go through. If it is turned off, it allows the cable to come through.

The SensarPro Signal Strength Meter does the same thing.

All bets are off since it was "upgraded".

If you have one of those, make sure the switch is off, and the red LED out, and see if you get cable.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #25

Thank you for cable tv info

Thank you JimA and wolfe10 for the cable TV info. We'll give it a go. We are considering replacing the AV equipment anyway, so this will help in this endeavor!
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #26

Ken. L

Well on my 03 the Coax runs from the clean-out hook-up station to the Video cabinet over the drivers seat. The color banding is a couple of wraps of colored electrical tape applied near the end of each piece of Coax cable. It is possible that it has been taken off or has fallen off, which I doubt. In my Coach I found a few cables nesting behind the TV in the front cap area.
All the cables in my coach were near the BOMB switch from Winegard. I think you will find the wire you are looking for near the location of the TV antenna booster switch, wherever that is located in your coach.
Good Luck, Ken
Old 12-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	114275

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	114276

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	114277Back in 2012 I removed all the factory equipment to include the plasma TV.All the wiring needed was easily available.I installed a samsung 40" LED a new surround sound A/V, Sony Blu-Ray disc player,mono amp for the sub-woofer and new center,front and rear speakers and the sound quality is truly amazing. I connected the red tagged cable directly to the TV and change the source or mode on the TV remote to TV if I want to view TV in a camp ground using the cable connection I also have to use the TV speakers only.I set our set up for the type of viewing we use.If we desire more I would add Dish or Direct witch would be easy to add.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #28

Ken L.

Tiredvet, I have finished my remodel of the Video system and thought I might post a couple of pics taken along the way. Jim's suggestion to install the Wineguard Sensor Pro was a GOOD one. I kept my BOMB switch to control my Coax feeds and installed the Sensor Pro to power the Antenna, so the BOMB switch needs no 12v power to the antenna. The Sensor Pro shows the relative signal strength from the Antenna as you point it around looking for the best signal. When you have that "best" signal you can have the TVs scan for channels to watch. It seems easy to me. Until I get to go out on the road to do more testing-------I think I am finished. I hope some of this information helps someone attempting to do this kind of upgrade. So long for now, Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3673.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	116036   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3676.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	536.6 KB
ID:	116037  

Name:	100_3679.JPG